I will just leave this here

Yah Bruce, it's a charcoal grill. It has a gas assisted lighter to light the charcoal faster and that's why you see the propane tank in the pic.

I love the Performer with that extra table. I currently have a black one and would love to replace it with a colored one but they are rare and most of the time expensive. At least in our area.
Currently there is a lime green one from Crate and Barrel for $215. Expensive and the seller does not respond to emails.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/d/dallas-weber-performer-grill/6850545629.html
And then there is that maroon one which would fit to my maroon Genesis lid for $180.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/651419683/

Thanks guys. I would consider branching out into coal burners, but I need to learn a lot first.

Hey fellas: Who would take this grill for Free? Me, that's who. I just got home from picking it up so I haven't had the opportunity to inspect it very close now that it is dark outside. But, I do know that is a stainless hood and that glob of goop where the missing burner knob is, is the burner knob after a nuclear meltdown. I have to think that there must have been a fire at the orifice area for that to happen since it didn't happen to the other knobs.

After I inspect it, I will have to make a decision if this is going to be rehabbed or if it will become a parts grill. I have never rehabbed a grill with a stainless lid, so it would be new in that respect.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/267317117509929/?ref=messenger_banner

Hey fellas: Who would take this grill for Free? Me, that's who. I just got home from picking it up so I haven't had the opportunity to inspect it very close now that it is dark outside. But, I do know that is a stainless hood and that glob of goop where the missing burner knob is, is the burner knob after a nuclear meltdown. I have to think that there must have been a fire at the orifice area for that to happen since it didn't happen to the other knobs.

After I inspect it, I will have to make a decision if this is going to be rehabbed or if it will become a parts grill. I have never rehabbed a grill with a stainless lid, so it would be new in that respect.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/267317117509929/?ref=messenger_banner

Ouch. Looks like it got hot! Funny that they kept it covered in that condition, but wow. Bruce, for someone who wants to move away from wire cup brushes, you know you have no shortage of scrubbing ahead of you! Good luck, better you than me :)

Yah, I will be careful when trying to figure out where the problem is. I should have asked more questions when I picked it up. Maybe a day time inspection of the burner/manifold will shed more light on the problem. I am also thinking that the fire issue didn't limit itself to the knob as it looks like there is some soot marks around the edges of the end caps and I noticed the front of the fire box was bowed out as many are after having excessive heat inside.. I am really anxious to get a better look at it now.. Bottom line is the 45 mile drive was worth it even if I part the grill out.

BTW: The guy bought a new Weber to replace it. not sure what model, but it was a weber.

I had a similar grill like this. The previous owner had a really bad grease fire. The lid was toast. The fire box was badly warped and the knobs ans igniter were melted. And the left side table top was brown and bridle. But everything else was still usable.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rHvyzPpXsGgUPMi56
The center knob was not completely melted but had a big hole towards the side where the knob pointed when turned on to full heat. The igniter was melted too.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7fBG3bQeq1bCgNYf6

Looks like that thing had a major conflagration but also perhaps a backfire in the burner. If the burner becomes clogged or the air intake gets mucked up flames will come backwards where the orifice slides into the burner. Flames will begin shooting up around the valves

Larry, I was thinking that is the only way something like that would happen. But, I have yet to get the wife to help me drag it out of the back of my truck so I can take a good look at it.

If anything Bruce at least you got yourself a nice frame, bottom rack and cover and I'm sure you have an extra hood, firebox, manifold, knobs, and plate that can be used on it.

Thanks guys. I would consider branching out into coal burners, but I need to learn a lot first.

You should, just get yourself a nice kettle (maybe start with a 22") and go from there. You can find those for cheap and sometimes free and there are lots of info on this site and the interweb on how to operate and use the kettle to its max potential. I didn't know a whole lot when I first started but after TVWBB, youtube and a couple of trial and error runs, I can smoke a brisket that's pretty decent.

I just got it down and clearly what happened was what Larry surmised. I could only see maybe one open hole on the center burner. I am sure the gas was backing up and coming out around the orifice or more likely the venturi opening. Eventually it probably collected enough under the control panel to find a source of ignition from one of the other burners inside the cook box and "Whoosh". Funny thing is even with plastic firmly melted onto the valve stem, the valve operates smoothly.

This is clearly one of those grills where the guy does zero maintenance. No cleaning and no parts replacements. Just use it until it quits. I am sure that middle burner was completely out for a while and the front and back ones are probably half clogged as well. It couldn't have been functioning very well for the last year or so of it's life.

Now for the really strange part. I would have called this grill a Gold C. The lid is stainless and clearly shows GOLD on the Weber logo. I was under the impression that the extended frame made it a "C" version. But, either I am completely wrong on both counts or something is amiss.

Here is the grill link. Look at it and tell me what the model designation should be. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/267317117509929/?ref=messenger_banner

Now, bounce that off the serial number sticker and tell me what you think.

NDY94x5.jpg

Upon registering the grill, this is what comes back from Weber:
Genesis Gold B LP SS SWE w/SS Lid
Model Number: 3280001
Serial Number: DU 0622103

I can go with the B version since the extended frame doesn't incorporate the extra burner, but what about the label calling it a "SILVER B"?

Last edited:
I fixed my "melted" grill up with a bunch of spare parts I had in my shed. Plus some new grates and new flavorizer bars.

I just got it down and clearly what happened was what Larry surmised. I could only see maybe one open hole on the center burner. I am sure the gas was backing up and coming out around the orifice or more likely the venturi opening. Eventually it probably collected enough under the control panel to find a source of ignition from one of the other burners inside the cook box and "Whoosh". Funny thing is even with plastic firmly melted onto the valve stem, the valve operates smoothly.

This is clearly one of those grills where the guy does zero maintenance. No cleaning and no parts replacements. Just use it until it quits. I am sure that middle burner was completely out for a while and the front and back ones are probably half clogged as well. It couldn't have been functioning very well for the last year or so of it's life.

Now for the really strange part. I would have called this grill a Gold C. The lid is stainless and clearly shows GOLD on the Weber logo. I was under the impression that the extended frame made it a "C" version. But, either I am completely wrong on both counts or something is amiss.

Here is the grill link. Look at it and tell me what the model designation should be. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/267317117509929/?ref=messenger_banner

Now, bounce that off the serial number sticker and tell me what you think.

NDY94x5.jpg

As far as I know Weber made the Silver with the short frame as Silver A (2 burner) and Silver B (3 burner). The long frame as Silver C (with side burner), Gold B (no side burner), Gold C (with side burner), Platinum B (no side burner) and Platinum C (with side burner).
In my opinion it is a Gold B since it has no side burner. I think Silver B might be the internal Weber name no matter what frame size. E.g. when I registered my Platinum C on the Weber site it showed up as a Gold C and not as a Platinum C.

I guess that would explain it then Stefan. Makes an already confusing model designation system even more confusing though. The only thing melted was the knob. The surrounting knobs, igniter and even rubber drip gaskets were all OK. I don't think I will be able to get the melted plastic off the control panel however.

Last edited:
Not to mention stores would regularly simply swap parts from one grill to another to suit the customer

I guess that is another explanation except in this case, the model on the label doesn't match the serial number on the same label.

Back