I will just leave this here

Yeah, I may have wire brushed my last one. Not only is it somewhat dangerous, but after a lot of hard work you still can’t get close to what a sandblaster can do.

Last edited:
Thinking of you Larry. I am not sure what I just got myself into, as I just picked up this Wolf bbq-36bl lp, 6 burner built in. Apparently it belonged to an anesthesiologist who replaced it with a new one. This was sold to me by the handyman who helped him install the new one. It is so freakin' heavy and no cart. It will need a good cleaning, new electronic igniters, and one of the igniter brackets inside will need to be drilled and re-tapped, 1/2 NPT to 3/8" flare to hook up and test. I think all the parts are there. The hardest thing is no cart or way to move it outside to clean. It seems like a new Wolf in this range goes for $9K? I wonder what this cost new? What I could get for it working and restored? I figure that worst case it may be worth the $50 in parts or scrap.

View attachment 36156View attachment 36157
Joe, that is the exact grill I have but with the cart as well. The lady I got mine from told me they were sold separately and the grill head was about $10k and the cart was another $3k. Please let me know if you decide you don't want to move forward on this beast. I may just be interested in some parts if you decide to not move forward on it. Mine is the earlier version of it though

This popped up on FB, but under the default "ships to you", so I can't figure out where it's located unless I contact the seller.
Didn't know that restored models go for $900 o_O.
I don't need this, but it does appear to have the light on the handle option.
900.JPG

I saw that, too. FB Marketplace is crazy with the shipping option having no restraints. Plenty of sellers just click the box and don't realize what they have done. NO, he won't ship that to you for $20:rolleyes:!

Clearly a flawed system on the FB MP site. I am not sure why they don't fix it so that people don't just automatically list it for shipping for such ridiculous fees.

I have been writing to folks. "Are you really going to ship me that grill for $20? If not please remove shipping option". They usually appreciate the heads up.

Just out of curiosity, I pinged him for location. I don't need another redhead or grill tools (assuming they're included), the grates look like some universal wire grates from Wal-Mart, and from what I can tell, it only has 12/13 of the flavorizer bars. But it does have a light.

OK, guys. My first attempt at charcoal grilling in probably 15 years and I was only a very occasional coal burner before that. I had the opportunity to do this on my $100 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. I picked it up a week ago and plan to rehab and resell it, but I wanted to be able to say I have actually cooked on one.
So, lets begin. I am now convinced I did not use enough charcoal. I used Kingsford and combined with my lack of experience using coal and the sheer size of this grill, I wound up mistakenly going light on the charcoal. So, I fired up the gas assist....What a great invention. So after running the gas for 4 or 5 minutes, I spread out the coals and let the grill get up to 400. Then I got to work putting on the Buffalo Chicken Wings. It was a great thing to have the extra grill space of this grill. I had about 8lbs of wings and it was a tight fit. No way would my Genesis have handled that. After I put the wings on, I never did get it back to much over about 350, but that was plenty to get them done. Just not as "crispy" as I can normally get them on the Genesis. This was clue #2 that I didn't have enough coal. After they were fully cooked, I coated them with the Buffalo sauce and put them back on. This is where I really felt the mistake of not enough coal. I like to sear the snot out them for a few minutes each side to get the sauce to glaze on. But that wasn't happening at 300 degrees and a good foot from the coals to the cooking grate. Anyway, they came out fine. The wife loved them and says they are better than when I do them on the Genesis. But, she just likes the grill. She calls it the "Hair Dryer" grill because she thinks it looks like the 1950's hair dryers when the lid is open. I personally did not really taste a difference. Maybe if I had some Genesis wings to eat side by side I might taste a difference, but I just didn't notice any special smoke flavor or anything like that.

So anyway, back to the ease and familiarity of my Genesis. But, if I ever do decide to get back into coal burning, I will definitely get a Performer with the gas assist. Wish me luck on the rehab and flip on the Summit. I am anxious to get started on it.

5:38pm, I have had the gas assist going for a couple minutes.
20210905-538pm.jpg

This is 5:40pm and I can see white at the bottom of the coal pile.

20210905-540pm.jpg

This is 6:00pm and the coals are ready to do their thing.

20210905-600pm.jpg

This is 6:28pm and the wings are getting close to needing sauce20210905-628pm.jpg

All Done and ready for the table:

20210905-645pm (2).jpg

Here are the coals after I was done cooking. Definitely looking a bit thin.

20210905-648pm.jpg

Picture of the $100 grill after I got it home.

20210828 Summit Coal Burner (1).JPG

Attachments

• 20210905-647pm.jpg
    20210905-647pm.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1
Bruce, is the Summit Charcoal a ceramic or insulated grill? I have a Big Green Egg with a HeaterMeter temp controller and where I find it to excel is with low and slow.

No it is just like a regular kettle grill except it's got double walls
I would think that the double walls is for insulation? So a selling point for one of these might be low and slow? You are using it as a grill and it may be that low and slow is this one's forte.

I would agree, not enough coals. I usually start with a full chimney. Most people doing wings on a kettle use an inverted vortex with the wide side up. That gets the cooker going. Check out this vid. I now use the corn starch and seasoning and get great wings on the gasser. But if I had a vortex I would do this on the kettle.

Joe, I may try that corn starch recipe next time. Sounds good. But, it will be on my genesis.

Joe, I may try that corn starch recipe next time. Sounds good. But, it will be on my genesis.
I forgot to mention that someone responded a comment I made on that video about how much I liked it. They suggested I heat some Franks Red Hot, butter, and a little honey in a sauce pan and brush the wings 5 minutes before pulling them. I did this last time and it was fantastic. I did not even toss them in more sauce before serving. I have done these many times on the Q and now the Broilmaster with the grate close to the fire. They cook really quickly, I would say about 10 minutes a side on a hot grill. This is a cook on a Q120.

Attachments

• 20200915_180051.jpg
    20200915_180051.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1
OK, guys. My first attempt at charcoal grilling in probably 15 years and I was only a very occasional coal burner before that. I had the opportunity to do this on my $100 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. I picked it up a week ago and plan to rehab and resell it, but I wanted to be able to say I have actually cooked on one.
So, lets begin. I am now convinced I did not use enough charcoal. I used Kingsford and combined with my lack of experience using coal and the sheer size of this grill, I wound up mistakenly going light on the charcoal. So, I fired up the gas assist....What a great invention. So after running the gas for 4 or 5 minutes, I spread out the coals and let the grill get up to 400. Then I got to work putting on the Buffalo Chicken Wings. It was a great thing to have the extra grill space of this grill. I had about 8lbs of wings and it was a tight fit. No way would my Genesis have handled that. After I put the wings on, I never did get it back to much over about 350, but that was plenty to get them done. Just not as "crispy" as I can normally get them on the Genesis. This was clue #2 that I didn't have enough coal. After they were fully cooked, I coated them with the Buffalo sauce and put them back on. This is where I really felt the mistake of not enough coal. I like to sear the snot out them for a few minutes each side to get the sauce to glaze on. But that wasn't happening at 300 degrees and a good foot from the coals to the cooking grate. Anyway, they came out fine. The wife loved them and says they are better than when I do them on the Genesis. But, she just likes the grill. She calls it the "Hair Dryer" grill because she thinks it looks like the 1950's hair dryers when the lid is open. I personally did not really taste a difference. Maybe if I had some Genesis wings to eat side by side I might taste a difference, but I just didn't notice any special smoke flavor or anything like that.

So anyway, back to the ease and familiarity of my Genesis. But, if I ever do decide to get back into coal burning, I will definitely get a Performer with the gas assist. Wish me luck on the rehab and flip on the Summit. I am anxious to get started on it.

5:38pm, I have had the gas assist going for a couple minutes.
View attachment 36477

This is 5:40pm and I can see white at the bottom of the coal pile.

View attachment 36478

This is 6:00pm and the coals are ready to do their thing.

View attachment 36479

This is 6:28pm and the wings are getting close to needing sauceView attachment 36480

All Done and ready for the table:

View attachment 36487

Here are the coals after I was done cooking. Definitely looking a bit thin.

View attachment 36482

Picture of the $100 grill after I got it home.

View attachment 36490

Bruce,

That is a beautiful grill.

I'll suggest that before you flip the grill, get a bag of lump and give it a try for a good long smoke.

Back