I want to use charcoal in my gas grill- how best to go about it?

Frank in Colorado

TVWBB Super Fan
I would like to start using charcoal brickettes in my Weber Genesis as indicated in my signature.

Should I put some sort of thick foil pan over the burners before I do this? If so, how does the flame of the burners start the coal to heat up?
Or should I just put the coals directly on the burners so they start up easier when I spark the burners?

Also- how do you clean the ashes? Can I use a shop-vac once they completely cool down? I really do not want to hose it down after use because I just installed new redwood on my deck and I think this would make too much of a mess.

I am looking forward to this because I am kinda’ missing the flavor that charcoal imparts. Sometime the gas grill is too “clean tasting.”

Let me know how best to do this
Thanks,

3 words. Buy a Kettle! You're looking for SERIOUS trouble trying to do that as charcoal tends to burn differently and could burn right through the firebox. Now that being said it CAN be done safely BUT takes a lot of work. First unless you have a deep firebox Genesis it will not work. So if you don't your story ends here. If you do, you take out the top row of bars. Then you buy a stainless steel shallow roasting pan. I was able to find one that the length was the distance of front to back and the width was exactly half the width of the grill. Start your lump coals as usual in a chimney. Place the lit coals into the stainless pan grate over that and cook. You can run the gas burners BTW as they will not do anything really under the charcoal pan will serve to give you the "cool zone" to the right or left side of the grill. It was an experiment I tried but honestly wasn't worth the trouble. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ACTUALLY BURN CHARCOAL IN THE GRILL otherwise or you will cause SERIOUS damage to the grill

I think that pretty much everyone here is going to tell you the same thing. Kinda one of those things you might want to pay heed to. You will be much happier in the long run. Use the right tool for the job.

:sneaky:
:LOL:

Can't pull a fast one on Brenda... she's too sharp.
I have a couple of whoppers on my other forums too.

Have a fun day folks and watch out for those pranksters.
Gotta admit, you got me. Hadn’t even considered what day it is. In my defense though, when I saw and responded to your post I hadn’t had my coffee yet. Keep up the good work

Ha ha your other posts give you away as a "seasoned" professional who would know better! Good one, though. :LOL:

Ha ha your other posts give you away as a "seasoned" professional who would know better! Good one, though. :LOL:
A "seasoned" professional griller or a "seasoned" professional pranktser? I perhaps fancy myself both.

A couple years ago back I pulled one on my CPAP forum. For those of you who have apnea and use a machine will understand this: CPAP machines are intended solely for one machine to one user- no exceptions.

I set up the gag by relating how in love with my girlfriend I am and how we are true soulmates... deeply intimate in every way- mentally and physically... and that I wanted to take this connection even further by combining our CPAP mask hoses... essentially "breathing" each others air during the night.

Apnea members were stunned. They understood a fanatic connection with another person, but were very puzzled at my query to connect hoses on a CPAP basis. That went on for a few hours as folks were responding, commenting, reacting...

One member related my question to her spouse who in turn reminded her what day it was.

All kidding aside, y'all should try putting a couple of briqs and/or wood chunks right on the hot flav bars. Works pretty good actually...

I would still like to not have ashes inside...I have rectangular box that I use wood chips and set it inside if I remove one of the grates.
I see there is one made with a "V-shaped" bottom that fits better... am going to get one of those soon.

All kidding aside, y'all should try putting a couple of briqs and/or wood chunks right on the hot flav bars. Works pretty good actually...
"Smoker box." Small box with a lid, made out of sheet metal, or preferably cast iron. Soak wood chips in water, fill the box, and place it over a burner. Did that for years when I was still grilling on gas. Not the same as over charcoal, or wood, but still pretty good.

what's a pellet tube?
It's a perforated tube for pellets.

pellet-tube-smoker-1024x627.png

I would still like to not have ashes inside...I have rectangular box that I use wood chips and set it inside if I remove one of the grates.
I see there is one made with a "V-shaped" bottom that fits better... am going to get one of those soon.
I have a v-shaped one. It works well with chips or pellets. I use it for rotisserie chicken.

About 15-20 years ago, I used to have a charbroil grill that did exactly what your original request was about. It was a gas grill that came with a stainless (maybe) tray to hold the charcoal that you would then set down on the burner tubes (or tent frame as they referred to them)
I sort of miss that contraption sometimes...but not enough to trade in my SSPs!

Back