I thought this was interesting.

Best thing is you can brew it at home.

Ingredients
For 5 gallons (19 L)

10 lb (4.5 kg) | Briess Two-row Brewers Malt (1.8°L)
2.83 lb (1.3 kg) | Briess Pale Malt (3.5°L)
8.0 oz (227 g) | Briess Caramel (40°L)
1.2 oz (34 g) | Centennial pellets, 9.1% a.a. (45 min)
1.2 oz (34 g) | Centennial pellets, 9.1% a.a. (30 min)
3.5 oz (99 g) | Centennial pellets, 9.1% a.a. (dry hop)
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast or WLP California Ale V Yeast

Specifications
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 55
SRM: 10
Boil Time: 75 minutes
Efficiency: 65%
Pre-boil Volume: 6.6 gallons

Directions

Use 4.5 gallons (17 L) carbon filtered water, adjust with 4 grams gypsum.
Step mash: 45 minutes at 150°F (66°C), ramp to 170°F (77°C) over 15 minutes (or ramp by infusing 2.5 gallons boiling water), rest 10 minutes at 170°F (77°C).
Vorlauf until clear.
Collect 6.6 gallons (25 L), sparging with 175°F (79°C) water. Boil vigorously for approximately 75 minutes, hopping as in ingredients section.
Whirlpool and allow to settle for 15 minutes. Chill wort to 64°F (18°C). Aerate wort and pitch yeast.
Ferment warm (ale temperature). Dry hop one week into fermentation.
Allow two hearted clone to stay warm with hops for a week.
Rack beer, crash cool, and cold age for a week.
Rack beer, prime with sugar and bottle.

https://www.boomchugalug.com/shop-kits/beer/

:)

(and don't forget the ciders!)

I see Founders Breakfast Stout came close to the championship - I brewed a couple batches of that with great success & enjoyment ------ here's an extract kit (what I did): https://www.boomchugalug.com/product/i-eat-danger-for-breakfast-stout/

The full recipe for all-grain brewers (I've never): https://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/i_eat.pdf

(their clone of "Founders Breakfast Stout" is called "I eat danger for breakfast stout")

and then they have one called "I eat danger for breakfast----in Kentucky" where you add 24 oz of burbon to the finished product.... the normal is 8.3% which is pretty effective :)

I'd love to get into Home Brewing, but right now I've got so many irons in the fire. One more would probably be too many.

what blows my mind is the price of these brews...
one 6 pack of bottles are $18.99... i saw one at $23.99! SIX BOTTLES OF BEER!

to me, that is NOT a beer.
a beer is something you drink with friends at a cookout, ballgame or at the poker table.
slam them down on a hot summer day after mowing an acre of lawn walking or 2 hours of weeding the flipping garden.

ok, sit back and enjoy one bottle from the 20buckpack like a fine glass of wine. Hmm...
this isn't the beer my grandpa drank or my dad let me sip back in the early 60's...
and neither is the price.

what blows my mind is the price of these brews...
one 6 pack of bottles are $18.99... i saw one at $23.99! SIX BOTTLES OF BEER!

to me, that is NOT a beer.
a beer is something you drink with friends at a cookout, ballgame or at the poker table.
slam them down on a hot summer day after mowing an acre of lawn walking or 2 hours of weeding the flipping garden.

ok, sit back and enjoy one bottle from the 20buckpack like a fine glass of wine. Hmm...
this isn't the beer my grandpa drank or my dad let me sip back in the early 60's...
and neither is the price.

Very true. That's why I home brew: $5-6 a gallon of great hand crafted draught beer. Home made is cheaper whether it is sausage, BBQ, hamburgers, or beer. Even with only the best barley malt, hops, water, and yeast. No 'fillers' like rice or corn to reduce the price of producing commercial beers.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Jim. I'll splurge every now and then and spend $10 on a sixer. But I've always got either PBR or Yeungling in the fridge!

I'm with you, Jim. I'll splurge every now and then and spend $10 on a sixer. But I've always got either PBR or Yeungling in the fridge!

In the 60's the guys from Mississippi used to add salt to their PBR. I tried it, but it seemed to still taste the same.

I brewed a batch of Bell's Two Hearted "clone" from Northern Brewer (they call it "Dead Ringer"). It was the best homebrew I did, but I only did 4 batches of homebrew before I gave it up. I wish I had the patience for it like Dwain does, but I drank it faster than I made it...:eek:

Last edited:
In the 60's the guys from Mississippi used to add salt to their PBR. I tried it, but it seemed to still taste the same.

My grandpa used to do that on occasion...seemed to fizz it up a bit if I remember correctly (I was just a kid). He would occasionally add a raw egg to his beer too...:confused:

Bob H. ​stated:

...and Mike Willis responded with:
My grandpa used to do that on occasion...seemed to fizz it up a bit if I remember correctly (I was just a kid). He would occasionally add a raw egg to his beer too...:confused:

that's the old timer way my uncles did drank it up nort in Pulaski, yeah hey. But ya know, they also drank that Gettleman, Schlitz and Blatz Beers...

I use to add a dash of salt to beer, way back when I was younger, and having a hair of the dog that bit me.
Seemed to make it smoother.

I brewed a batch of Bell's Two Hearted "clone" from Northern Brewer (they call it "Dead Ringer"). It was the best homebrew I did, but I only did 4 batches of homebrew before I gave it up. I wish I had the patience for it like Dwain does, but I drank it faster than I made it...:eek:

The key is the pipeline. ...and brewing every cpl weeks. I have one 5 gal keg of Irish Red Ale I am drinking from, one 5 gal keg of Vienna Lager I filled a cpl weeks ago which is lagering now, I filled one 5 gal keg with English Pale Ale tonight from the fermenter I brewed 10 days ago that I will cold crash, and I'll brew 5 gal of Belgian Amber Ale this weekend to refill the fermenter.

What can I say? I like good beer and I don't wanna go broke. ...and I like making stuff myself like pizza, BBQ, bacon, sausage, beer, wine, etc.

Last edited:
I would like to try home brewing but I just don't drink enough beer to justify it. Got a six pack of miller lite in the frig, been in there over a month still a six pack. If you have a Trader Joes near you can go and pick individual bottles out of their six packs and make your own six pack of different beers to try as all their bottles are individually priced.

Back