I thought I scored a deal on a Weber Gold Summit D6

All the parts are in and the restoration and conversion should start this week. With my Genesis Platinum done and out of the garage, I have a little more room to work on this. I am painting the firebox and lid, so there will be disassembly. The side panels has some rust and paint flaking, so that will get sanded, rust removed and possibly filled in before painting. The frame has some rust visible, so I have to take that all apart to see how much I have to do. I think it might be just on the surface, at least I am hoping so.

Day one is finished. Main disassembly and inspection. The floorpan is worse than I thought and I'll probably call Weber to quote a replacement. I did break one bolt off in the bottom panel where the rust was particularly bad. The firebox and hood will be the next to be disassembled for painting. The steel portions of the firebox are all solid except for minor surface rust. I think some high temp Gloss Black BBQ paint (if they have it) would serve that area well enough. I took a lot of pictures to help me with reassembly. It is amazing with the differences in construction between this 2004 Summit and the same year Genesis models. I was going to get some Evapo-Rust rust remover for the side panels, but the way they are combined with the side frame I don't think I can figure out a container big enough to soak them in. I'll probably have to go with a rust encapsulater type of product.

20170326_153227_zpsjxewu8wt.jpg

20170327_164000_zpsq1bcyzrg.jpg

20170327_162347_zpsggms8ojo.jpg

20170326_153250_zpsuvvjan4e.jpg

How far do you disassemble the hood to paint it? Should I take the sides off or simply mask off the stainless and paint all together?

Got the firebox and lid apart today. Lots of cleaning still to do. Probably won't get to painting until Saturday and assembly until Monday since we are getting some storms on Sunday.

20170330_114933_zpshqhgghxl.jpg

Did some polishing on the stainless in the meantime...

20170330_130102_zpsinewlm5c.jpg

Didn't get a chance to get my after shot, but it looks really nice. i couldn't get the scratches out though and I didn't want to get too aggressive with my polishes.

That looks like it's coming right along. And believe me you will have a better overall grill than if you'd bought a new style Genesis. That D6 will be FAR better performing and more versatile

What are the thoughts about the hi temp BBQ paint in the firebox? The front of the box where the grates sit has some corrosion that I would like to cover with paint.

What are the thoughts about the hi temp BBQ paint in the firebox? The front of the box where the grates sit has some corrosion that I would like to cover with paint.

Will add the caveat that I don't know if it's just an old wive's tale or grill myth, but NEVER paint anywhere inside the firebox. High temp or not, will still give off dangerous fumes that are to be avoided.

Here at Earl Scheib, we'll paint any grill for $99.95!

20170331_155557_zpsksuk47lu.jpg

I had planned to do the firebox sides as well, but decided they needed some more sanding before painting. I did the hood sides with semi-gloss black hi-temp paint. The rusted parts of the side panel that I sanded yesterday got hit with some rust reformer from Rustoleum. It takes 24 hours to dry before top coating, so I wanted to knock it out to make the next paint step easier.

I will probably remove the Weber sticker since it would be a pain to mask. I wonder if Weber would print me up a new one with the factory info so I can replace it after painting. We are set to get severe storms on Sunday with rain starting Saturday night, so I don't know how much painting will get done tomorrow.

This is the worst panel on the whole grill, the bottom one. All of the rot was in the rear right corner (facing the grill). Before I took the sander to it, I called Weber and discovered it was $108 to replace. I think I might just hold off on that expense. The missing metal is on the back side and covered by the rear panel. Nothing bolts to it, so there are no structural concerns. If I really wanted, I guess I could laminate a thin strip of metal there, but I don't think I would actually gain anything. Everything will be cleaned up today and I should be ready for paint on Monday and assembly on Tuesday. I do need to order a replacement caster, but that should be easy enough to replace even with the grill assembled. I also need to get the stainless bolts. I'll take a trip to Lowes or Home Depot in the storms tomorrow.

20170401_161616_zps9igchkr9.jpg

20170401_161605_zpscqco8cud.jpg

Hood is assembled, but I might try one more polishing on it. I have the aluminum parts of the firebox painted. The old paint was flaking, so I attempted to sand it smooth and ended up knocking down some of the rough surface. It looks better than it did by far. Today, I painted the bottom part of the pan and the inside portion of the rear panel. There was a good amount of corrosion on the bottom pan and I was really tempted to use some body filler to smooth it out, but common sense took over. When the doors are closed, you aren't going to see it.

A trip to Lowes was a complete bust for stainless hardware. It looks like an online order to McMaster-Carr will be in order. I will probably replace the wheels and casters as well, so that order will get placed tomorrow too. I think tomorrow will be either painting of the side panels or cleaning and polishing of the steel portions of the firebox. I have to clean the gasket silicone off and bust out the buffer, foam pads and polish to clean up the exterior.

20170404_123029_zps6kots7hm.jpg

Yes, I actually wetsanded the panels before painting.

20170404_154124_zpszs9hnutk.jpg

The bottom panel and inside of the back panel are painted. They probably could be sanded and coated again, but again, you don't really see them and if I cared that much, I would have done the body filler thing or spent the $100 on a new panel.

20170402_161148_zpsqpz6iwgs.jpg

The firebox sides and emblem after a coat or two of the BBQ paint. You can see where the paint had flaked of and I went crazy with the sandpaper.

Nice work so far !! Question for you. Bottom pic, the end cap on the right. Can see where the textured surface was stripped away. Is there any way you know of to recreate the original look? Of make it less obvious ? I've run into that on several of my refurbs and it freaking drives me crazy. It's to the point where now if some of it comes off, I take an angle grinder to the whole damned firebox and try to make all of it smooth. Has to be a better way...

That annoyed me too when I looked at it. Since it's cast metal, I can't really think of a way to recreate it. I could sand that section completely smooth and repaint it. But, I think I will just end up living with it as is. I honestly thought it would be easier to feather in the areas where the paint was removed, in both the aluminum and steel parts. It just isn't working out that way. In the end, I have to set my personal desire for perfection aside. It doesn't help that I am dong this while watching some car show on Velocity where they talk about perfectly smooth paint jobs. It's a grill, not a car. I just have to repeat that to myself.

Last edited:
You could simply use crinkle finish paint

I don't think it would handle the heat since it is the firebox. The cart parts I want to be smooth and glossy. Well, about as smooth and glossy as I can get while spraying in a garage using rattle can paint.

Scott, Fastenal should have all the stainless you are looking for. That is where I purchased mine for my Genesis Gold.

Nice work on this rehab, it has been fun to watch your progress.

Back