I thought I scored a deal on a Weber Gold Summit D6

That annoyed me too when I looked at it. Since it's cast metal, I can't really think of a way to recreate it. I could sand that section completely smooth and repaint it. But, I think I will just end up living with it as is. I honestly thought it would be easier to feather in the areas where the paint was removed, in both the aluminum and steel parts. It just isn't working out that way. In the end, I have to set my personal desire for perfection aside. It doesn't help that I am dong this while watching some car show on Velocity where they talk about perfectly smooth paint jobs. It's a grill, not a car. I just have to repeat that to myself.

You could simply use crinkle finish paint

I don't think it would handle the heat since it is the firebox. The cart parts I want to be smooth and glossy. Well, about as smooth and glossy as I can get while spraying in a garage using rattle can paint.

This kind of brings up a question that has been eating at me. High heat paint, Is it just a question of paint sticking to the metal ? Would it work to lay down a nice base coat of High Heat, but then top coat that with some other paint that isn't high heat ?

You can buy high temp automotive crinkle finish paint from most places. On the fire box it would definitely solve the issue of smooth vs textured areas

- - - Updated - - -

No it's a question of the paint actually standing up to the heat

This might be an extremely stupid question, but I have seen cans of High Heat Rustoleum. Could sand be added to it to replicate the texture ?

I would not. Simply because I think the sand could cause the finish to be unstable. Just use crinkle finish engine paint and issue is solved IMO. Or just use the flat or satin black and not worry about it. Bottom line best thing is to clean off the old paint with a tool that does not take the texture of the casting off. A large brass cup type brush on an angle grinder would be the tool of choice IMO. Then a good spray down with a solvent that dries clean like Brake Clean. Just hang the part and spray it liberally allowing surface junk and oils to rinse away. When dry it will be a perfect surface to hold paint

Not for sure that the texture is from casting as the insides of the firebox and side panels are smooth. Back a few years ago, I tried to use some solvents/chemicals to remove the paint off a lower box and didn't get anywhere with it. Ended up using a grinder and it took the paint and the texture right off. Admittedly, I might not have used the right stuff.

So somehow in the casting, Weber makes the outsides of the FB and end caps textured and the insides of both smooth ?

Maybe it has something to do with the material composition of the molds used by Weber back in the day.

Status update:

Inside side panels and outside of back panel got painted, but my wiping cloths weren't as lint free as I thought and I had to sand them down and repaint on Saturday. Sunday was a 77 mile training ride for the MS150, so I didn't get squat done. The weather may rain today, so I might not get any work done. I need to call Weber to order the last bits needed such as the clip nuts or the bottom shelf and new wheels and casters. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, but if it is dry, firebox assembly and more painting will ensue.

If you look at the grill(s) brand new you can see some kind of machine work takes place on the inside of the grill at the factory.

Now that the MS150 is over, I finally got some time to finish this thing. Painting took up much of the time, including a repaint when I found some overspray issues on a side panel when I went to reassemble things. I started yesterday afternoon and finished this morning, with the help of my little assistants. The broken drop down shelves of the original grill were placed with donors from my Genesis Silver as did the propane scale. The doors still need to be polished since I was eager to assemble and test the thing.

It was sunny, so I couldn't see the flame height as much as I wanted too. Once it gets dark, I'll give it a try. It takes less than five minutes to hit 500 degrees and seven minutes to hit 600. I did a quick toast test after dropping the heat to medium. They cooked very quickly, so I guess I could have waited longer for the grill to cool down. The metal handle does get pretty warm too. I haven't tested out the rotisserie burner yet and I have to do a few finishing touches such as adding the rotisserie mount, cleaning, polishing and waxing. I have to figure out what to cook first now.

20170510_125354_zpsxdbhlswc.jpg

20170510_143208_zpsrnqvxc7v.jpg

20170510_163730_zpswf6xydfy.jpg

20170510_143249_zps0zms90u4.jpg

20170510_143308_zpsxgubcmzm.jpg

20170510_143332_zpszzlll1wx.jpg

20170510_193205_zpstu7imcnm.jpg

20170510_193111_zpsxxkparid.jpg

20170510_144612_zpsknzogyjr.jpg

20170510_130536_zpstso5qzne.jpg

It took longer than expected and I have about $450 total invested in this thing. Still a reasonable value. I need to find a cover that fits since the OEM one is out of production.

Last edited:
Really nice job on the restore. That grill is well worth $450.

Hope your MS150 ride went well. I've done that event here in SW Missouri many times. Usually a lot of fun (depending on the weather) and it's for a great cause.

Hope your MS150 ride went well. I've done that event here in SW Missouri many times. Usually a lot of fun (depending on the weather) and it's for a great cause.

Good to see another cyclist here. Day one wasn't too bad. There was a wicked cross wind that was fun to deal with. It was a bit warm and humid too. Day two was rough. It started out cold (50 degrees) and wet with overnight thunderstorms leaving mud and water at the starting point. The sun came out eventually, but we had to deal with 67 miles of a 15 mph headwind along with some good sized hills. It will go down as one of the tougher years for an MS150 here. But I am happy to say that I did it. The past two years have been shortened to one day due to weather, so this was my first fill two day event.

On the grilling front, I tossed a few burgers on for dinner last night to break in the grill. I think it is safe to say I have some serious grilling space now. :)

20170511_174247_zps8ddnzpfp.jpg

Good to see another cyclist here. Day one wasn't too bad. There was a wicked cross wind that was fun to deal with. It was a bit warm and humid too. Day two was rough. It started out cold (50 degrees) and wet with overnight thunderstorms leaving mud and water at the starting point. The sun came out eventually, but we had to deal with 67 miles of a 15 mph headwind along with some good sized hills. It will go down as one of the tougher years for an MS150 here. But I am happy to say that I did it. The past two years have been shortened to one day due to weather, so this was my first fill two day event.

On the grilling front, I tossed a few burgers on for dinner last night to break in the grill. I think it is safe to say I have some serious grilling space now. :)

20170511_174247_zps8ddnzpfp.jpg

Sounds like a pretty tough ride. Congrats on sticking it out and finishing. Interestingly enough when I think back on the rides I've done it's the tough ones I remember best.

Back