I think these butts will be done sooner than later

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
I started two butts tonight at 8:30 that weighed in at about 4.5-5lbs each. I did a minion start and the temps at the lid have been between 275-300* with all the bottom vents closed the whole time. I think I started with way to many lit coals. My bad. Just now after 3 hours I decided to install my remote therm to see where I was at. One read 150 and the other is 155*. I set the alarm at 180* in the one that was hotter and I'm thinking that I might be getting up earlier than I thought. I guess next time I will try a cooler target temp in the wsm and also get some bigger butts! The last time I did this overnight cook I did larger butts. However I minioned the same and did not have to leave the vents closed. Man I hope these stall for a bit so I can get some sleep! Wish me luck. Vince

Good luck.

With butts that small, I wouldn't have even done an overnight - unless you wanted pull pork for breakfast. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that.

8:30 is way too early to start an overnighter for 5lb butts. I would have waited until 12. If you wanted PP for lunch. (including a rest) 2hr/lb always seems to work out for me with butts.

Just an update. At 3:00 am my warning alarm went off at 170*. Went outside to smell heaven and man did it smell good. The cooker still sitting at 300* with the bottom vents closed and the temp between the butts is about 7*. I took and basted with apple juice. Then flipped and basted again. Reinstalled the probe in both pieces and it seemed to drop about 15* in the butts. Decieded to leave it in the one that is at 155* and I'm heading back to bed. I plan on pulling these off at 190-200* in a few more hours. Then they will rest using the cooler method for lunch at the shop. I figure by 8 or 9 I will be heading to work for the day with cooler in hand. I'm looking forward to the faces of our guys when they walk in today only to smell this! My plans were to make these for lunch and to let them rest from the time I leave for work until lunch time. I think this might just work! If they hold out cooking for another 3-4 hours I think I might be good. If not I will remove them and stick them in the cooler when they are ready and wing it from there. It is now 3:50 an the remote says 157*. Time for a few more ZZZZZ's. Vince

Update at 5:30am....182* basted with AJ again. Temps in the wsm at 275* with the lower vents closed! I think they will be ready to be foiled and put into the cooler around 7:00am. Temp outside at 62*. Back to bed for a bit. Vince

Now that I see your plan, it looks like you did fine. I've wondered about taking butts to work. I'm sure you'll be a hero.

This makes me think - in tough economic times, who do you think the boss is going to let go? The guy who brings butts to work? I don't think so. At least it will move you further down the list. Keep up the good work Vince!

Last update untill lunch! I removed one but a 7:30 and just pulled the other now at 8:00am. Had a slight problem with my weber style remote thermometer. Not sure what happened but I got up at 7:00 and the reciever did not have a signal. I heard it beep 3 times which tells us that we have lost signal. I went outside to take a look and the power was off on the transponder. Figured wow it finally killed the batteries after 6 months. Before I changed the batteries I tried to turn it back on and it turned right on. Still nothing. So I went and changed the batteries in both. Still nothing #%$&&%##&*^%!!!!! Go in the house and get my back up to see where the butts are at. One was ready but the other need a bit more time. Thus the two different times. I read my paper work and reset it per the directions. The only thing I could not do was reset the transponder. There is a spot that says reset but there is not a button or a whole in the plastic housing to do so. Oh well it's only six months old and is supposed to be covered for a year. We'll see! Have to whip up a batch of sauce and off to work I go! I will deal with this later. I'll update later when I have some time. Vince

Vince, my first couple of Butt Smokes had me seeing 300* on lid temp... with a grate temp of 315*... with all 3 bottom closed... I read on here someplace that you need to close the top vent "slightly" sometimes; especially with a new WSM... I did that and the temp came down to 275*.. Just FYI...
"Pork it's not just for dinner anymore"
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph Grunz:
with a grate temp of 315*... with all 3 bottom closed... I read on here someplace that you need to close the top vent "slightly" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to point that out. Personally, I think Vince needs to check his WSM for leaks. To run at 300 with all the bottom vents closed, I think this is more than just needing to close down the top vents a little bit. I'd start with the door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Now that I see your plan, it looks like you did fine. I've wondered about taking butts to work. I'm sure you'll be a hero.

This makes me think - in tough economic times, who do you think the boss is going to let go? The guy who brings butts to work? I don't think so. At least it will move you further down the list. Keep up the good work Vince! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA HA I think my boss would starve to death. Not only from the loss of food but from production! Honestly I do it because I manage the shop portion of the business and I like to do it for our guys. It is always appreciated when I make something. They were a big hit and we even invited our UPS driver to join us. Now if they would only stop crushing our packages! Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph Grunz:
Vince, my first couple of Butt Smokes had me seeing 300* on lid temp... with a grate temp of 315*... with all 3 bottom closed... I read on here someplace that you need to close the top vent "slightly" sometimes; especially with a new WSM... I did that and the temp came down to 275*.. Just FYI...
"Pork it's not just for dinner anymore"
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did read that as well and did try that for about an hour before going to bed. It helped to drop the temps about 25*. However I was afraid to go to bed with the bottom vents closed and starve the fire to much. Thanks Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
with a grate temp of 315*... with all 3 bottom closed... I read on here someplace that you need to close the top vent "slightly" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to point that out. Personally, I think Vince needs to check his WSM for leaks. To run at 300 with all the bottom vents closed, I think this is more than just needing to close down the top vents a little bit. I'd start with the door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I know my door leaks a bit however I really think I need to cut back on the amount of lit when doing a minion start. I used a full chimney and the fire was really roaring when I dumped the coals on. This works when doing HH briskets and I was not thinking when I dumped the coals in the chimney. I also probably let them go a bit longer then I should have because I was rubbing my butts! Next time I will do it differently. I will read the trouble section when I have some time to see if I can improve on the leaks a bit. I did staighten out the door a bit and it has seemed to help in some other cooks. Good point. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterN:
I am expecting some pictures... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry no pic's this time around. I normally do take pic's however I was focused on messing this up. Worked out well in the end. I need to relax and just go with the flow when using this cooker. I did however fix my remote thermometer situation. Just had to reset it after changing the batteries. Thanks for the comments guys. Always appreciated. Vince

Back