I said the last one was the last one again............

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
finally all Genesis "vintage" grills moved on to pastures new and happy they all gone
until this rocked up! Im not a fan of the fake wood but plan to keep authentic despite
wanting to replace with wood shelves. never seen a glass door grill in UK before, is
there any issues i should know about?ca6ff427-b4b9-4d03-a27e-c2d7d648be24.jpg13a93585-101c-4ec6-bd02-1977f36b4908.jpg98f9f4a0-ed85-41da-add8-74076c3989f4.jpg

I'll be following along on this one. I picked up the natural gas version of the same 3400 grill here in the states just a little while back and tossed it into my rehab queue. I'm pretty confident I won't even start on it until sometime next spring. I'm surprised that this model lasted at least 3 years...mine is an "EO" (1995) and yours is an "EZ (1998). A lot of us veteran guys on here knew little to nothing about the existence of these 3400's until very recently. Keep us posted on your progress.

3400.png

Last edited:
Are the flavorizer bars the same as the standard Genesis 1000 grills.

What exactly is the difference between the 3400 and the 5000?

Are the flavorizer bars the same as the standard Genesis 1000 grills.

What exactly is the difference between the 3400 and the 5000?
Yes, the flavorizer bars are the same. As far as other differences go, I'm in the same "would like to know" category as you. Maybe it has something to do with the Durawood vs real wood, but that would be only a shot in the dark on my behalf and nothing more.

Yah, usuallly the higher model numbers indicate more options on the grill such as the side burner or added shelves and things like that. But the 3400 already has all of those.

I think - but can't say I know - that the 5000 was the original effort with these glass doors. I think they revived it with the 3400 Platinum Series to give it more distinction from a non-Platinum Genesis. Looks to me like during that time they abandoned the 5000 gray wood shelves for durawood on the 3400. And didn't the 5000 have the "flame-check" that the 3400 did away with? Beyond that I don't think there are any real differences.

Paul,
All I can say is to be CAREFUL with those glass doors, hinges and holders. No easy replacements for those. I have mentioned elsewhere that these grills look like my old 1980s stereo cabinet and that when I was moving out of the dorm I managed to shatter my glass door!

Jon, what you say makes sense. Instead of them 3400 being a continuation of the 5000 run, it is more of a rebirth with the Platinum moniker.

I think - but can't say I know - that the 5000 was the original effort with these glass doors. I think they revived it with the 3400 Platinum Series to give it more distinction from a non-Platinum Genesis. Looks to me like during that time they abandoned the 5000 gray wood shelves for durawood on the 3400. And didn't the 5000 have the "flame-check" that the 3400 did away with? Beyond that I don't think there are any real differences.

Paul,
All I can say is to be CAREFUL with those glass doors, hinges and holders. No easy replacements for those. I have mentioned elsewhere that these grills look like my old 1980s stereo cabinet and that when I was moving out of the dorm I managed to shatter my glass door!
Jon, thanks for the heads up! like you it reminds me of an 80's stereo system and will be careful when stripping down. hopefully in the next 2 months it will be refurbed and usable again assuming i can source the necessary parts. the side burner always worries me as never sure spares
are available. thanks again

Do you have a brand new control panel stashed away to go with it?
No. But only because you won’t give up the one that you have! Thankfully, @BPratt set me up with a couple of very nice ones when I bought out a bunch of his inventory. I still want yours, though!

No. But only because you won’t give up the one that you have! Thankfully, @BPratt set me up with a couple of very nice ones when I bought out a bunch of his inventory. I still want yours, though!
Oh ****, sorry Tom. I forgot about that and wasn't rubbing it in. I'm still looking for another one myself. I also have a couple of decent ones myself, but not as nice as I would like. I'm also considering trying to find a company capable and willing to refinish them.

Oh ****, sorry Tom. I forgot about that and wasn't rubbing it in. I'm still looking for another one myself. I also have a couple of decent ones myself, but not as nice as I would like. I'm also considering trying to find a company capable and willing to refinish them.
No worries. It’s all in good fun. I have a knack for retaining that kind of info. Think of it as an idiot savant kind of thing with the primary focus on the idiot, I guess. You’re not the only one on my radar when it comes to this sort of stuff...@Jeff Boudman has got some grates and manifolds that I keep hoping will be available someday soon.

No worries. It’s all in good fun. I have a knack for retaining that kind of info. Think of it as an idiot savant kind of thing with the primary focus on the idiot, I guess. You’re not the only one on my radar when it comes to this sort of stuff...@Jeff Boudman has got some grates and manifolds that I keep hoping will be available someday soon.
Well, if I remember correctly you have some other brand new parts stashed away. What was it, Durawood tables?

Guilty as charged. My NOS stash consists of a few new Durawood tables, 3 or 4 of the #9057 grill out handle lights, 2 of the #56038 LP manifolds for a 1000-3000 series, a left hand metal cabinet side panel for a Platinum C, a half dozen knobs for the x000’s, 4 of the push buttons & bezels for 81xx series control panels, a really cool and rare #9850 range style side burner, and the aforementioned side burner for the 3400. There’s probably more that I’ve forgotten about, honestly. I should really go through my inventory some day and make a complete list, I guess.

Back