I ruined this hunck of CAB. Please help me

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
This is a sad story that I want to share with you looking for your HELP-

I started with a FROZEN 5 pound CAB steak.
I settled the 26 OTG with a very light snake method 2 in raw + rare 1 on top.
I was looking for 180-200F cook. No smoke added because some doesn't love it.
04:36 hours later the steak was 127F internal Temp.
Rubbed with carne crosta dry rub and Foiled and wrapped in blanket to rest.
Round 8 pm I was ready for searing action. 5 minutes total searing action and back in foil and blanket.
All went in tha gas oven settled to minimum with the door open. My Thermo said 150-160F inside the oven with the thermo clip on the blanket.
I THOUGHT THE BLANKET WOULD SHIELD MEAT FROM THE HIGH HEAT.
At 9:30 pm I unwrapped the meat and sliced it.
DISASTER!
It was all grey coast to coast. Heavily overdone. Still edible, but WHAT A DISASTER.
I can't do this way again in the future.
Please help me to find a easy way to store till dinner my allready done steak.
No cambro or Igloo box allowed or electric hoven (I can't buy one more. No more room in my kitchen).

IMG_9781 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9813 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9818 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9820 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9832 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9833 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9835 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9836 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9840 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9849 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

Can't offer any insight on this type of cook, but from the outside it looks insanely good

Sorry you were so disappointed Enrico. I know I sure would have eaten my share. It looks wonderful. I bought a Pelican Cooler just for using when I need to keep foiled meats warm. Mainly have just used it for butts and briskets but probably would have worked well on your steak along with the foil and towel.

What the heck do I know? But I don't think everything can be held - when it's done, it's done. That being said, I would have been right in line behind Cliff.

The only 100% reliable way to keep your steak at the right temperature for hours would be an immersion circulator setup. You vacuum-pack the seared steak, set the water bath to your target temperature (maybe 130-135 or so) and open the bag at dinnertime.

I would guess that the issue is carryover heat - A steak that big is pretty much a roast. I bet the heat on the outside was hotter than you think it was (and overcooked the outside) and then the carryover brought the whole thing up to 150F-160F. Maybe shoot for 120F, then wrap next time.

Also - If the steak has rested after coming to temperature, serve it right after searing. No need to double-rest as you haven't brought the internal temperature up. Plus it'll be crispy/crunchy that way.

I feel your pain Enrico, but alas I can only offer my condolence. The last four or five steaks I cooked if put together wouldn't be as big as that monster. So I have no clue as to what you could have done to save it.
At least your other post on the bones made up for it a little bit.

The only 100% reliable way to keep your steak at the right temperature for hours would be an immersion circulator setup. You vacuum-pack the seared steak, set the water bath to your target temperature (maybe 130-135 or so) and open the bag at dinnertime.

YYang You got it. The Anova precision cooker is definitively in my to buy stuff.

Oven on minimum could be as high as 170F, at 90 minutes no blanket is going to stop that. Next time, just wrap or tent in foil and let hang out at room temperature.

I'm confused as to what you were trying to accomplish. To smoke it, sear at the end, and hold it until dinner?

Why did you start off with it being frozen?

I'm confused as to what you were trying to accomplish. To smoke it, sear at the end, and hold it until dinner?

Why did you start off with it being frozen?

I have to say I am with alan here. I am always open to different cooking methods but I have a few suggestions on why it may of turned out less then ideal. Why would you start with the steak frozen? Most people do the opposite and let the steak get up to room temp before cooking. As the steak started to thaw from outside to inside the outside meat would start over cooking prior to the inside being thawed leaving you with a very unevenly cooked steak. I am a huge proponent of the reverse sear. The low and slow to start gives the steak a nice uniform doneness and the sear gives you the crust. I think by cooking it frozen you get the opposite of a uniform doneness because the steak thaws at different times. The outside of the steak looks amazing. I think you did a great job with the sear. My next point would be resting/holding meat. Brisket/pork butt benefits from being held/rested but I would never recommend holding/resting steak more then 5 minutes. A steak is a fine cut of meat that does not require low and slow to break down muscles and collagen to make it tender. It is already tender and resting a steak in my opinion does not have any benefit. In fact resting steak has the meat temp carry over your target and you lose juices. As I said I am not trying to be hyper critical but I wanted to give you my two cents! I am always open to learning and if you have experienced different results then I have using different techniques I am always interested!

Back