I Love My Wife..............

Brian Quintal

TVWBB Member
I'm a little late posting this but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to be on this board much. BUT my wife surprised me at Christmas with a weekend at Myron Mixon's cooking school at his house in Georgia. It's called Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School name after his dad. My understanding is Myron build a pavillion in his back yard equiped with full kitchen and smokers and holds the class there. I'm phsyced, going down there from Boston in March. Intoductory dinner with him and the class on Friday night then smoke all day Saturday and eat what we smoked all day on Saturday night . Then smoke most of the day on Sunday. I can't wait to pick his brain and be part of this experience. What a great gift from the little woman, of course she benifits from all this learning I'll get, so she's no dummy either lol..................

Last edited:
What a great gift from the little woman

Holy crap........yeah!!! My wife provides me with little more than grief concerning my bbq passion. I am making ribs today, will offer her some and she will turn it down. Does not like most smoked pork...will eat pulled pork the day I cook it and not afterwards as leftovers. You got a peach of a wife....I got somethin' else. Love her I do I do but.....somethin' else is what I identify it as.

Brian,

That's awesome!!!! I've heard he holds a weekend class.......now I want to go!! Feel free to pass on his secrets to the rest of us :) Congrats!

That is one great gift. I have looked into attending his class but never did. Please report to us on how it was

You will have a great time! My wife did the same for me as a 60 birthday gift. I went in November so he added turkey to the menu. We cooked several tons of food since we had an extra large class of 85. I think his normal size is about 27. Did a whole hog (220lbs), about 25 wagu briskets, each about 16lbs, baby backs and spares, pork shoulders, chicken thighs and the turkeys. You will eat till you burst and pick up quite a few tips. Myron has a pretty good setup for the class and he enjoys doing it. He is also a really nice guy. You will work with his cooking team and family throughout the weekend. Have a great time.

That’s really great, you sure have a keeper there for a wife. Pay close attention in class I'll bet the wife will want some demonstrations of your new found talents when you get home.

That is a very nice Christmas present.

I'd like to hear from you, Steve, or others who have attended any particular tips or knowledge you gain from the class.

Like the others have said, you have great bride, enjoy the class, ...the only problem I foresee is, what''cha gonna buy her for her birthday?

Karl

Seriously? What a present... I am sure you love you wife for doing this for you, and we are happy for you. However, I'm also sure that there is a part of each and everyone that wish you wife got enough for all of us! :D

Have a great time and best of luck...

CM

Thanks all for your kind words, yep she's a keeper. She loves Q as much as I do so it will be fun experimenting with what I learn and sharing with her. We own a 5th wheel and keep it up at a campground in the White Mountains in NH and I smoke many weekends up there. Everybody loves me lol, the aroma drifts through the campground all weekend. I really enjoy sharing with others up there.

I will share my experience after the class and post pics if allowed to take them.

You will have a great time! My wife did the same for me as a 60 birthday gift. I went in November so he added turkey to the menu. We cooked several tons of food since we had an extra large class of 85. I think his normal size is about 27. Did a whole hog (220lbs), about 25 wagu briskets, each about 16lbs, baby backs and spares, pork shoulders, chicken thighs and the turkeys. You will eat till you burst and pick up quite a few tips. Myron has a pretty good setup for the class and he enjoys doing it. He is also a really nice guy. You will work with his cooking team and family throughout the weekend. Have a great time.

That sounds awesome, it's pretty much what I heard about the class. Hoping the class isn't as big as that though. I see that it is sold out so it may be a large one as well. Sounds like you thought it was worth it. Did it help you our at all?

Brian, it really was helpful and the size of the class wasn't a problem. Everyone got their hands into the meat. Myron and his crew were happy to share info and answer any question put to them. I always wanted to see how to properly do a whole hog and now feel confident that I could cook and present one. I also have been playing with higher temps for things like butts and brisket and you will spend time producing excellent food without enduring 12 hour plus cooks. Also helpful was seeing some of the usefuol gadgets that don't cost much and, of course, seeing how somone else approaches building rubs, mops and sauces.

Back