I like wings

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
So I had a hanker'n for some wings and figured I'd try doing them with no water pan, needless to say this will be how I do them from now on not to mention I was surprised I got well over 400*. I covered the bottom of the ring with Trader Joes using about 1 1/2 chimney unlit and a couple pieces of Apple and Peach then a full lit chimney of Kford comp, I did it this way only because the TJ's charcoal I have doesn't burn worth a flip in a chimney. I did 4 1/2 dozen whole wings

Tony, there was sauce but you know how it is when you have to taste one to make sure you have your wing sauce right and you think to yourself, Hey, that's pretty good maybe I'll hit just one more. they're like the Lay's potato chip commercial. there was even yet one more batch that I didn't get any pictures of plus 2 chickens that I split in half the birds where done on the Traeger. The wing sauce was a mixture of my own which consisted of a 10 pepper hot sauce I made and butter. The 10 peppers where Pequin, Arbole, Mulata, Ghost, Habanero, Jalapeno, Thai, Cayenne, Hungarian, and one other but I can't remember it's name, they were dry pods I bought awhile back, had to soak them before I could use them. Because part of this cook was experimental trying to achieve the crispy smoked wing I wanted the pics to reflect the success not to mention I used my not so smart phone for the pics that's why the last one is blurry.

Nice looking wings. How long did you smoke them for and at what temp? I just got my WSM 18 and I would love to do some wings as well. Yours looked mighty tasty.

NAR ... for the ones in the pictures the cooker stayed right around 290 for most of the cook and when I took the racks out to swap the wings around a little more air got into the coals and caused the temps to go up to around 330 so I think it would be safe to say about 90 minutes total time, I would suggest you check them after the first 30 minutes that should help you determine how much longer you need to go or how soon you need to check them again, keep in mind also this was two levels of wings which may have had something to do with the timing, I used a cooling rack on the top grate and put the second grate on it. The second batch I did after I took these off got a little over cooked because I didn't pay enough attention to them so because the temps had risen while the lid was off it also allowed for the temps to continue to rise, the cooker was at 350 when I started the second batch and figured they'd be okay so I went about my business for a little while checked back about 30 minutes later to flip the single layer of wings and never stopped to think the temps would go higher and that's when the temps went up to 440. the drumette of the wing was still edible but the thin 2 bone section was close to being jerky. I did share some from the first batch with some of the guys at work and have been asked to do more with them willing to compensate for the meat and my efforts.

Lowes buckets as flower pots, interesting :) and me lovey some wings long time

Edit: is that marijuana plants lol

Last edited:
:D .. no sorry Dex this isn't Washington state .. there was 6 Lowe's buckets when I started that's where I grow my pepper plants, I have no back yard so to say because its all wooded and down hill.

NAR, just keep in mind that the 18 is a little shorter than the 22 and with no water pan you're going to be real to close to direct heat so just a keep an eye on them. You're gonna love'm

:D .. no sorry Dex this isn't Washington state .. there was 6 Lowe's buckets when I started that's where I grow my pepper plants, I have no back yard so to say because its all wooded and down hill.

NAR, just keep in mind that the 18 is a little shorter than the 22 and with no water pan you're going to be real to close to direct heat so just a keep an eye on them. You're gonna love'm

:) very creative and a lot cheaper than pots. I am going to grow
pepper plants next year. My neighbor has some and regret
not doing it myself. Now I want some wings!

Dex .. I went with the Lowe's bucket because it was the cheapest ones I could find, these things can be expensive, the ones I saw printed with the Panthers logo on them went for $6 and change. I tried growing some in pots but they really do better in the 5 gal. bucket. The funny thing is I don't eat the peppers whole but like making salsa and sauces. Wings in the grocery are so expensive, I got these at Costco, 36 wings for $21, I only get about 14 at Food Lion or Harris Teeter for that price.

Dex .. I went with the Lowe's bucket because it was the cheapest ones I could find, these things can be expensive, the ones I saw printed with the Panthers logo on them went for $6 and change. I tried growing some in pots but they really do better in the 5 gal. bucket. The funny thing is I don't eat the peppers whole but like making salsa and sauces. Wings in the grocery are so expensive, I got these at Costco, 36 wings for $21, I only get about 14 at Food Lion or Harris Teeter for that price.

I'm stunned that you have to pay that much, Don. They're pretty cheap in N.O. as long as you buy the larger "family pack." You are talking uncooked wings, correct?

Next time you make 'em, try brining them in a salt/sugar/water brine for about an hour or so (rinse and dry after removing from the brine -- once they're dry, we put black pepper on them). Makes them a bit plumper and also seems to season the meat a lot better for us.

Michelle in N.O. - Yep, uncooked, wings have gotten expensive here it seems since they started getting so popular, I've seen large bags of frozen wings for less here but I had to go with the fresh whole wing. I had considered brining because I do like the extra depth in flavor I get with the boneless skinless breasts, I'll have to give it a try with wings and thanks.

My neighbor and I have gotten on a wing kick lately and just about every Sunday we are firing up my 22.5 WSM. We smoke em for about 30 minutes then finish them in the fryer. They are some of the best wings I have ever had.

Back