I learned something today

Allen S.

TVWBB Member
Do NOT open and close the vents on the WSM without some sort of protection on your hands...just got a NASTY burn on my finger from closing the vent.

DAYUM...that hurt!

Kinda goes along with the 'Don't grab the top grate with your bare hands just because you're in a big hurry', lesson. Go ahead, ask me how I know that one.

Russ

I can never remember that the temperature probe to my remote thermometer is HOT. You would think that I would learn that after one, three - a dozen times of grabbing it and immediately yelling "OUCH" - or something to that effect!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen S.:
Do NOT open and close the vents on the WSM without some sort of protection on your hands...just got a NASTY burn on my finger from closing the vent.

DAYUM...that hurt! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allen:Hope you are OK! On page 5 of my WSM Classic instruction manual it states "Barbeque mitts or hot pads should always be used to protect hands while barbecuing or adjusting the vents". I remember viewing one of Chris A. videos in which he recommended reading the instruction manual ONCE and then throw-it away as all the information needed from then on is on this Forum.

Richard

OTG, WSM Classic

Yeah, feeling your pain.
My first smoke I not only burnt my fingers closing a vent, but I cut one finger pulling it off the end of the vent tab quickly.

I learned that I can adjust the bottom vents on the WSM with my foot. With shoes on, of course.
icon_smile.gif

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Keenan:
I learned that I can adjust the bottom vents on the WSM with my foot. With shoes on, of course.
icon_smile.gif

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go, that's the proper technique
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I can never remember that the temperature probe to my remote thermometer is HOT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha! Thought I was the only one that did this EVERY time. BBQ isn't rocket science...and you and I prove it by doing this.

Been there, done that. I think with WSM owners or BBQ guys in general - its not a question of IF you'll get burned but WHEN. The one thing I've noticed though, I've NEVER even come close to being burned when handling my chimney and I never wear gloves (cuz I don't have any). Even when dumping a chimney full of red-hot coals...no burns. Now that I've said that, the next time I q I'll probably burn my whole arm off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen S.:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. I just did that this weekend. It was a little windy Saturday and my temps were kinda up and down. Thought my temp was stable so I went inside for a few minutes. When I came back out the OE thermometer was pegged out at 350. In a slight panic I reached down to close a vent without gloves. Ouch.

Back