I just hope no Skyline was harmed in this pursuit 😀

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
In my last posting, adding a second swing table to a Genesis 3000, a "question" was raised about my intentions regarding this grill which, it would seem, was primarily a donor for the second swing table to the 3K.
Well, in effect, it was, but really not, as you shall see........

I thought it remarkable that soon after the 3K showed up 3 miles from my door, the Skyline would appear 2 miles away: both were free and each easily fit into my old Volvo wagon without the need to separate the cook box from the frame. They both had good burners (plastic spider guards) and good flavorizers, and the Skyline had what appeared to be the original gas bottle, with quick disconnect. Both grills were very complete and appeared to have been used very little, and both lit up well when I got them home.

The swing table was removed, the slider bar modified with another notch, and mounted on the 3K, where it is now. A somewhat better duplicate table had been added to the 700, so I put it on the Skyline and put the 700's original plastic table back. New casters were bought and installed, surface frame rust painted, and end caps/ cook box stripped and painted. The lid shows minor fading on top, and the control panel is almost perfect. Photos show its current state of preservation, and both grills, the 3k and the Skyline are now quite usable and presentable.

Any thoughts on keeping the original gas bottle? I'm thinking of replacing the QD fitting on the regulator with an Acme nut from a later machine, so I can just do Blue Rhino, but I'm open to suggestions. After playing musical chairs with parts, the only item I'm short on is the end bracket which holds the Skyline design accessory basket and tool hanger in place (or perhaps the swing table on the 700?).

I am planning next to relocate a bunch of slats between the 3K and the Skyline, I have lots to play with but not enough to make all of them on the 3k the same color. Thinking of taking some slats from a lower table for the second hanging table and using durawood for replacement.

I find that both of the 13 bar grills I have are significantly slower to both heat up and also to cool when the lid is opened. I'm not surprised, asthe greater mass heats and cools more slowly, and the additional flavorizer bars do also tend to slow convection somewhat. Both are slow to get past 450, compared to my 5 bar 700.

Attachments

• IMG-0198.jpg
    IMG-0198.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0200.jpg
    IMG-0200.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0201.jpg
    IMG-0201.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0209.jpg
    IMG-0209.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0211.jpg
    IMG-0211.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 23
Any thoughts on keeping the original gas bottle? I'm thinking of replacing the QD fitting on the regulator with an Acme nut from a later machine, so I can just do Blue Rhino, but I'm open to suggestions. After playing musical chairs with parts, the only item I'm short on is the end bracket which holds the Skyline design accessory basket and tool hanger in place (or perhaps the swing table on the 700?).
I would replace the hose or just connector on the grill and simply trade in the quick connect tank at a Walmart for a new filled tank and they will give you one with the ACME connector.
If you can't find the end bracket for the right side, PM me. I may be able to help you out.

My local Ace hardware refused to refill my quick connect tanks once they were over ten years old, forcing me to change out the regulator and buy a new style tank. Is it possible the original owner of that grill just hasn't used it in the last 12 or so years?

My local tank exchange places don't even check to see what I'm exchanging as long as it looks like a propane tank. I've turned in old-style tanks, without OPD that are probably over a decade out of testing compliance and they don't look twice.

I tried to exchange a smaller tank I think it was a 12 lb and one place wouldn't take it, but another did.

My local Ace hardware refused to refill my quick connect tanks once they were over ten years old, forcing me to change out the regulator and buy a new style tank. Is it possible the original owner of that grill just hasn't used it in the last 12 or so years?
Sure. I get old tanks all the time with rehabb grills. But, if you take that same tank to a Walmart, they will exchange it for a full tank and that tank will have the new connector. No guarantee that tank will have the required Certification markings that are still current though. Places like Walmart do their own non-official inspections and recertifications but are not state recognized. If you are lucky, you will get a tank back that is still under certification. If not, then you can just exchange it again.

Walmart around here has nothing to do with the tanks and I suspect the same everywhere, that said got 1 the other day and it leaks like a sieve around the shaft while turning on,

I've had some places look at a tank and say "no", I simply take it elsewhere they don't look. They just fill it

I've had some places look at a tank and say "no", I simply take it elsewhere they don't look. They just fill it
I don't really think it was about the age of the tank, I think it was more about the quick connect fitting that they didn't want to deal with anymore and just used the age of the tank as an excuse. I have never seen anyone check the certification on any of my tanks with the acme fitting.

I don't really think it was about the age of the tank, I think it was more about the quick connect fitting that they didn't want to deal with anymore and just used the age of the tank as an excuse. I have never seen anyone check the certification on any of my tanks with the acme fitting.
I have one place here that will not fill any of my tanks. I brought them in once, he looked at them and said "I'll do one of them this time only otherwise don't come back until you get new ones". So, I never went back. My money is just fine at the other place and they have Tuesday special they'll refill 20# tank for $12.50.

My 5000 watt backup generator will run off of gas or a 20# propane tank. I had four expired tanks and around here everybody checks to see if the tanks are expired before filling them. The other issue is to get it recertified cost $30 plus the cost to refill them. So, I just took the tanks to Safeway and exchanged them for full tanks and with Barbs discount it was only $15 a tank. I now have six full tanks and don't have to worry about storing gas and keeping it fresh.

Last edited:
I'd like to convert my PowerHorse Inverter to run on LP and or NG. As now it's only gasoline
The only drawback to the propane it doesn't have the energy that gas has. In other words, the 5000 watt max is on gas with the propane it drops to 4400 watts. But that's more than enough to run my two energy star freezers in the garage.

Most of the time, they are sticky about the dates around here.

Our place was clamped down on, so they are now particular as well. Mine are all new because I got rid of my old ones when I left Florida. I have definitely used the "swap at Lowes (or wherever) to get rid of ratty old tanks. They don't care. I don't like how they fill those swap tanks, but it is better than having no fuel ready.

Yah, the swap places are useful in some circumstances, but I would much rather get them filled, pay less and get a "fuller" tank.

I have one place here that will not fill any of my tanks. I brought them in once, he looked at them and said "I'll do one of them this time only otherwise don't come back until you get new ones". So, I never went back. My money is just fine at the other place and they have Tuesday special they'll refill 20# tank for $12.50.
12.50 is a great price!

I managed to swap my way up to a nearly new tank last year. I decided to keep it and just get it refilled now. I've also been desperate enough to swap a really nice tank for a really crummy one when I ran out at a bad time.

Back