I have a problem need help.

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
I need to blame Chris for this as the restore threads he put in Making New Memories caused me to look at all the great restores members have done over the years.

However I have tried to avoid Jeff's Genesis Platinum restore thread since I start drooling all over myself when I see that Blue Genesis and of course Chris just posted the restore threads so I had no choice but to look at it once again. I hope my wife does not do the laundry and asks me why I have drool all over my shirt, hopefully she just figures its an old age thing and does not ask.

Chris those were great links it was here on this site when I fell in love with a Redhead and ended up restoring it with the help of everyone here. But I got to find a Genesis Platinum in Blue, hope I live long enough.

I might need counseling if I don't find one, I think drooling over a grill might need professional help.

:)

Last edited:
Brian,
That’s a great one;)! I think most of us have succumbed to that ailment now and then. I guess I had it over getting a Skyline hood, tracking down a guy all the way in New Jersey and paying extra to have him ship just the hood and a few special parts. I am not sorry I did, but I also realize how easy you can get sucked into a never-ending chase for yet another grill. Pretty soon you can find yourself with more grills than you could ever grill on or even have where you can look at them:eek:! That’s a little bit the voice of experience:(...

The ultimate example of this is the Weber Kettle Club. Some of our friends there have elevated grill collecting to a fine art - or more likely an obsession. There are seemingly limitless colors, sizes, and changes over time in everything from wheels to handles. Some of them have DOZENS of kettles:eek:! They are a fun group, and I get a laugh reading their discussions of multi-hour road trips just to get one more kettle!

I find myself sometimes drooling over kettles just like gas grills. “Maybe I could just get one avocado colored one...”

Got to fight that and work on my huge backlog of gas grill projects:redgenesis1::blackgenesis1000: :genesissilver::blackgenesis:

At least I got one grill done now that tax season is over, but it was only a little Kettle. If you have time check out my thread about the 18 inch kettle in the kettle section of this forum. I would post a link but I am using my iPad and can’t figure out how:mad:.

A blue Genesis Platinum is out there. Just have to keep your eyes open and be patient. I will let you know if I see one here. Then I can be your “agent” like the Kettle Club members do. If that worked out I would just have to make a road trip and maybe catch a Braves game with you:cool:!

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I've been trying to find a Genny 3000 for the longest time and I almost had a redhead but the seller turned me down at the last minute because the folks who had bought his house wanted to keep the grill so that one got away, it was
a 3 hour drive one way so I wasn't too bummed...however...I was able to find another 3000 yesterday that was an hour each way and I just picked it up. What I found interesting is that is has a gray hood, yes a gray hood with red stripes as seen in these pics...

DLKPsoV.jpg

CQeiPrK.jpg

QwjlOtg.jpg

I never knew the lids came in gray...I've seen reds, blues, blacks, greens and maroon but this is a first for me. Also, it came with an aluminum handle and I've never seen those as well. Now I don't know which hood to keep on the grill as I'm kind of liking this gray hood.

Never seen the aluminum handle and think that it is a custom modification. Kind of cool. I like your lid. I thought the ones with the striping were the “Platinum Series” but maybe the striping was also used in the 3000, 4000 and 5000 seres.

Very sharp find! We will look forward to seeing what you do with it!

I had one of those lids. I couldn't give it away so I tossed it in the garbage. It was perfect too

I like the grey its different, Sam you got what you wanted which is all that counts. The handle is kind of a mystery you would think its custom but someone here may id it and did they in fact make an aluminum handle.

Sam I think that lid came off a 5000 as on that model they had the stripes at the bottom and top. The 5000 had glass doors think Jeff restored one of those maybe it was someone else.

Brian,
Not to worry...your Blue Platinum is out there somewhere, just gotta be patient, it'll show up.

I drove 373 miles round trip to bring it Home but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I have yet to restore my 5000 as Life has been busy but I do hope to do to start it this Summer.

Jeff

I agree that this gray lid most likely came originally from a Genesis 5000. Maybe glass broke and it was downgraded to a 4000 or maybe the hood was swapped to another grill.

Jeff, I think a Blue 5000 might do also got plenty of time to look.

Hey Brian,

If you want a blue grill, how about this BLUE one? I don't think you could get a bolder-looking blue grill than this!!!

https://offerup.com/item/detail/419944115/?ref=BoardDetail

2v3stps.jpg

I don't know if it really is still available. Listings tend to die out on OfferUp. For sure, it IS the best of the newer style Genesis with the classic E-W burner configuration. Great for rotisserie and even has the side burner. It doesn't look half bad, either, especially for a South Florida grill.

I think the stainless rod grates look very good:

5nlkyo.jpg

If nothing else, it shows you that there will be a great blue grill out there for you somewhere:cool:!

Jon

Jon thanks for thinking of me but I just am not into those new style of grills. I have plenty of time to find what I want, the enclosed cabinet would be a nightmare in ATL probably the same for you in FL due to the humid climate.

Nice, thanks for the I.D. Yah I think it's from a 5000 because there are set ups for the sliding table on both sides although it didn't come with sliding tables but no biggie because I have some extras that I could use. So the question is...use the blue or gray hood? I like em both because they're the ones that are harder to find IMO. My plan is to keep both of them and swap them out here and there.

Nice, thanks for the I.D. Yah I think it's from a 5000 because there are set ups for the sliding table on both sides although it didn't come with sliding tables but no biggie because I have some extras that I could use. So the question is...use the blue or gray hood? I like em both because they're the ones that are harder to find IMO. My plan is to keep both of them and swap them out here and there.

I think if you have the extended cart and swing tables you could replace where missing it would be cool to make it look as much like a 5000 as possible. Then use the blue hood on a regular cart where there is less to compete with the blue color. Of course, there is no wrong answer, so, regardless, make sure you enjoy!

Jon thanks for thinking of me but I just am not into those new style of grills. I have plenty of time to find what I want, the enclosed cabinet would be a nightmare in ATL probably the same for you in FL due to the humid climate.

Brian,
I didn’t really expect that you would want this particular grill, but I remembered it and thinking how striking the blue color was. I don’t think I have ever seen any others of these in blue. The enclosed cart is definitely a drag to keep out the rust. I have one sitting on my deck awaiting surgery for that very thing. I do put this first generation Genesis 300s with the E-W burners on a higher plane than the second generation ones with the front burner controls. In a way, these are the last real Weber Genesis grills with the classic burner set up and crossover burner for igniting. You can still light them with a match, something you cannot do with the front control ones.

Anyway I hope you can find a Platinum or similar blue lid Genesis, and I will keep my eyes open for you.

Back