I got a hambone left over....

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
And I want to make something good with it. And let me start by ruling out pea soup. Not a fan. Does anyone have any good ideas of something to make ? There's a fair amount of meat left on it too. It started as a smoked , spiral cut , honey glazed ham. Our hostess was going to chuck it and I thought that was a sinful waste , but now I'm stumped as to how best to use it.....

i appreciate any and all suggestions. :wsm:

Big pot of pinto beans cooked with the hambone.
Large skillet of fried taters with onions.
Spoon taters into a bowl, top with beans, buttered cornbread on the side.
Heaven!

Ok , ok , these are good thoughts .......Anyone have any experience with Brunswick stew ?

I'm gonna make Navy Bean Soup with my mine or save it and use it for some black eyed peas for New Years

Last edited:
Yea, make a ham stock with it by adding some carrots, onions and celery. Simmer that for a few hours, than cool and skim the fat off.
You can use that for a base for Brunswick stew ( I would remove as much ham off the bone first, than add that to the pot later) or other recipes. I like Navy bean soup also!

Tim

I second Bob's suggestion. That is exactly what we do with ours. We will be eating that next week.

I almost forgot you also need a side of cornbread.

Last edited:
I had mine for dinner last nite...similar to what Bob did...ham bone in the pot with onion, navy vena and pintos ...bit of chicken stock and simmered for several hours, pulled the bones out and added some left over chopped ham and let it get nice and thick. Served up a both with cornbread !! Yum!

Thanks for all the good ideas and I have filed them all in the memory bank , but sweetie suggested we make a pork broth from the bone and use the meat and (some of the) broth to make a nice corn chowder , which is something we both enjoy. So I think I will do that first.... But Bob C , I am also saving some of the broth to cook some pinto beans to put over some nice fried potatoes. My better half is not the most adventurous eater and the bean and potato thing is a little outside her comfort zone. I may have to make it as baked beans and fried tater to sell that one ....
but i do appreciate all the good suggestions and I'll tell ya this....that broth smells and looks tremendous.

I vote for the bean soup, though I love some pintos too.

Here's our bean soup recipe, simple...
2 medium onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 pound northern beans, soaked overnight, drained
1 ham bone w/ham pieces
salt & pepper to taste

Fill large pot with 4 qts water
Put in ham bone, ham pieces, onions, carrots and beans
Cover, bring to boil and simmer until beans are soft, 2-3 hours, depending on how high of simmer, add a little water if it gets too dry
Take meat and fat off the bone and (fat out of the pot) at the end
Season to taste, carefully. Gets saltier as liquid reduces
Serve with corn bread.

Back