I don't, do you?

Jeff Powers

TVWBB Fan
I have the basic old stainless cooking grate on my 22.5" Weber......I never oil or spray the grate just a quick brush when hot. Do you spray or oil??

I just don't see the need for it nothing ever sticks.........

nope.

icon_biggrin.gif

5 or so minutes over the coals, then I brush and go. No oil, except the occasional fish cook.

yes, let it get hot then brush with a grill daddy, the steam really cleans off all the grime, then a couple paper towels dipped in oil. Just look at that paper towel after a few swipes and tell me want to cook on that. not ashamed to be the first yes, besides it's a necessity in south forida with our humidity.

I do...religiously. Dump coals, preheat grate for 5 minutes, brush, oil, heat grate again, brush, oil, cook.

From the other responses it sounds like my process is unnecessary but it has become a ritual for me...gives me more beer drinking time too.

I'll throw a sometimes out there. Depends on what I'm cooking, and the shape the grate was in after my previous grilling session.

Sometimes (yes! with fish). The real key is to make sure the grates are hot before they touch food, otherwise things may stick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I do...religiously. Dump coals, preheat grate for 5 minutes, brush, oil, heat grate again, brush, oil, cook.

From the other responses it sounds like my process is unnecessary but it has become a ritual for me...gives me more beer drinking time too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much what I do. If it's in pretty good shape will just do heat/brush/oil once. I usually brush after the cook as well while the grates are still hot.

I have started to wipe the grills with an oil soaked paper towel, but it's mainly becuase that towel is my fire starter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Nope </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For fish I oil very well - just before grilling. Ditto for anything I'm going to cook that is dough-based or dough-wrapped. Other than that, no.

Back