Hyper dog help!

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So this is my dog Tucker. He is a border collie mix and is a bit more high energy than we had expected. He is two years old now and can be a bit of a handful at times. We are looking for something to give him that will lower some of his energy. We have tried Benadryl, CBD oil, hemp treats, and melatonin. It's almost like everything just makes him irritable and annoying instead of making him calmer. The other issue we have is he won't play fetch (he will chase the ball but not retrieve it) and we can't walk him on the road because he tries to jump at cars as they are going by. What is everyone giving their dogs to help calm them down a bit?

Attachments

• EA1ADBFC-DA35-4759-B598-4F39F6F5480A.jpeg
    EA1ADBFC-DA35-4759-B598-4F39F6F5480A.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 11
I’ve never considered giving my dogs anything, and I have had 3 generations of minitaure pinschers. (Tiny little terrors packed into non-stop energy balls.)

Have you considered agility sports to help him burn off some of that energy? I’ve also read that clicker training can be very useful and inexpensive.

I’ve never considered giving my dogs anything, and I have had 3 generations of minitaure pinschers. (Tiny little terrors packed into non-stop energy balls.)

Have you considered agility sports to help him burn off some of that energy? I’ve also read that clicker training can be very useful and inexpensive.
im in the process of making a lure course for him which i think will help wear him out a bit. We did do clicker training which helped with a lot of other things but it didn't seem to work

I found a Doberman that was starving to death and had clearly been neglected. I thought, man... how could someone do this to a dog? Well, when he recovered his health I kinda understood - so much energy that he is difficult to be around. Lucky for him, I didn't understand up front what I was signing myself up for. Lucky for me, it's a rewarding relationship.

anyway here's my advice:
- take this dog to some group obedience classes and network a bit. you will get some good feedback this way. both from people who share your problem and others who have experienced it.
- put in the effort to solve the retrieval problem. it can be done.
- hot dogs, broken into pieces, in a sandwich bag, in a tool pouch (or something similarly cheap and simple) will turn your dog into an a laser focused student
- dogs appreciate discipline
- kong training. it sounds strange and it takes some effort. a kong used correctly is amazing. pasted a youtube video title below as an example

How to Use a Kong Dog Toy - 90% of Behavior Problems Reduced

well they gave us a drug that was supposed to put him out enough to be able to cut his nails but not even that worked unfortunately
this may make you laugh (I know the neighbor did)... but I cut holes in a duffel bag for the dog's legs. suspended the dog from a tree branch and cut his nails that way. in the beginning anyway - he gets a hot dog piece between nails and lays still just fine these days.

this may make you laugh (I know the neighbor did)... but I cut holes in a duffel bag for the dog's legs. suspended the dog from a tree branch and cut his nails that way. in the beginning anyway - he gets a hot dog piece between nails and lays still just fine these days.
I don't know that this would work for him. He is so squirmy and strong. I tried holding him down while my wife would try to cut them and we couldn't hold him still enough to not cut too much.

I don't know that this would work for him. He is so squirmy and strong. I tried holding him down while my wife would try to cut them and we couldn't hold him still enough to not cut too much.
might could be right. my dog was in a full panic - made me feel a bit badly to be honest. but he stands on his toes... so when he walks on my floors his nails click (unless I keep them trimmed). drives me nuts and I have to think my mental health too :)

OK - I got this. We had a Border Collie / Greyhound mix and this dog was insane until he hit about 4 years old. He would jump 6' fences and run to the dog park a mile a way. We once got a call he was about 7 miles from our home. No matter what we did this dog would not run out of energy. Until.....I bought this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1WBKM2/?tag=tvwb-20
71sJL-VrimL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I attached this to the bike and the dog to this and off we went. He would pull my fat butt to the dog park, play for an hour, pull me home and then pass out. It was great. He started slowing down and becoming a "normal" dog after about 4.

From the AKC description of the Border Collie: "A remarkably bright workaholic, the Border Collie is an amazing dog... maybe a bit too amazing for owners without the time, energy, or means to keep it occupied. These energetic dogs will settle down for cuddle time when the workday is done."

This is one of the breeds that needs at least an hour of intense exercise every day or they're going to have loads of pent up energy looking for any way to get out. My brother had a dog that was part Jack Russell terrier. Same type of energy. He would be lying on the sofa peaceful as could be one minute and the next he'd be tearing around the house, on and over the furniture and anyone sitting on it, under the tables, round and round. He'd do that for ten or fifteen minutes if no one figured out a way to stop him. My brother didn't have the space outside for the dog to run and as small as he was that dog was nearly impossible to walk. The sad reality is that if you don't have a large, fenced yard for these dogs to run around in, it's going to be a strained situation for both dog and owner.

What Jay said. I’ve always had larger working/sporting dogs, Irish Setter (dumb as a bag of hammers) friend of a friend who was “really good with dogs” after the admonishment that the dog would break for the street, let the dog out the door and was promptly run over. I found out in the middle of a set at the gig I was playing that she had not survived. Tough night.
The following critter was the runt of the litter Labrador retriever, the guy I got her from. Had been starting to get her used to people and had begun training for a family dog. She was the best pet I have ever had. Very anxious to please, only got into a couple of things she should not have but, I miss her more than the girl I left her with. I know, not much help but, that‘s about it for dog stuff for me, none in the house since and that was forty+ years ago.

When my wife brought it up I thought she was nuts but my dog a Vizsla who is a big ball of energy is a complete different dog when I pick him up from doggy day care during the week while we are at work.

He runs around and socializes with other dogs all day and sometimes he does not want to leave when I show up the turd!!!

Barb and I have the same problem. We have two large dogs. One is a rescue she, is pictured on the left, she is Golden Retriever, Husky and Coyote.
mix.
She is the sweetest pup on the planet, loves everyone she meets plays well with any other dogs big or small. Looks like a golden has the traits of the husky including the husky talking and digging and the hunting skills of the coyote.
The other is a purebred Black Lab which will turn four in October, She was gifted to us from some friends whos mother in Ohio raised labs.
She is also a sweet pup and friendly with everyone she meets, but is just super hyper. She demands attention all the time and won't take no for an answer. The worst part is walking her, she pulls like crazy and is super strong. We've had through three different trainers and she just won't calm down the trainers said that some Labs are just like that and only time will slow them down. But with Barb and I in our 70s the danger of her dropping one of us in the street keeps us from walking her anymore and I do miss that.100_1949.JPG

100_2884 (2).JPG

OK - I got this. We had a Border Collie / Greyhound mix and this dog was insane until he hit about 4 years old. He would jump 6' fences and run to the dog park a mile a way. We once got a call he was about 7 miles from our home. No matter what we did this dog would not run out of energy. Until.....I bought this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1WBKM2/?tag=tvwb-20
71sJL-VrimL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I attached this to the bike and the dog to this and off we went. He would pull my fat butt to the dog park, play for an hour, pull me home and then pass out. It was great. He started slowing down and becoming a "normal" dog after about 4.
I don't know if this would work for him because we can't take him on the road at all

From the AKC description of the Border Collie: "A remarkably bright workaholic, the Border Collie is an amazing dog... maybe a bit too amazing for owners without the time, energy, or means to keep it occupied. These energetic dogs will settle down for cuddle time when the workday is done."

This is one of the breeds that needs at least an hour of intense exercise every day or they're going to have loads of pent up energy looking for any way to get out. My brother had a dog that was part Jack Russell terrier. Same type of energy. He would be lying on the sofa peaceful as could be one minute and the next he'd be tearing around the house, on and over the furniture and anyone sitting on it, under the tables, round and round. He'd do that for ten or fifteen minutes if no one figured out a way to stop him. My brother didn't have the space outside for the dog to run and as small as he was that dog was nearly impossible to walk. The sad reality is that if you don't have a large, fenced yard for these dogs to run around in, it's going to be a strained situation for both dog and owner.
Yeah that's the trouble that we are having. We have a 3 acre yard but it isn't fenced and he can't be off a leash because he would take off and who knows if he would come back

Back