Hyper dog help!

When my wife brought it up I thought she was nuts but my dog a Vizsla who is a big ball of energy is a complete different dog when I pick him up from doggy day care during the week while we are at work.

He runs around and socializes with other dogs all day and sometimes he does not want to leave when I show up the turd!!!
We can't take him to the daycare because he didn't pass the "acceptance test" or whatever it is. So daycare is not an option. All he does when he's around other dogs is bark and its pretty annoying.

Barb and I have the same problem. We have two large dogs. One is a rescue she, is pictured on the left, she is Golden Retriever, Husky and Coyote.
mix.
She is the sweetest pup on the planet, loves everyone she meets plays well with any other dogs big or small. Looks like a golden has the traits of the husky including the husky talking and digging and the hunting skills of the coyote.
The other is a purebred Black Lab which will turn four in October, She was gifted to us from some friends whos mother in Ohio raised labs.
She is also a sweet pup and friendly with everyone she meets, but is just super hyper. She demands attention all the time and won't take no for an answer. The worst part is walking her, she pulls like crazy and is super strong. We've had through three different trainers and she just won't calm down the trainers said that some Labs are just like that and only time will slow them down. But with Barb and I in our 70s the danger of her dropping one of us in the street keeps us from walking her anymore and I do miss that.View attachment 37675

View attachment 37676
Both my Golden Retriever and Yellow Lab pull really hard on the leash - we use a pinch collar that looks like this.
It works well, but it's not easy to put on the dogs. The dog trainer community is "split" on whether or not these collars are OK to use but we use ours a fair amount and the dogs don't seem to mind them at all. pinch collar.png

I got Jack Russell's.
Full of energy, at least the 3 year old is. The 11 year old has quieted down ;)
I got plenty space, so it's not really an issue.
They like chasing lizards and goats.
If you have some space, and your dog likes water, a sprinkler can do wonders. My youngster runs around chasing the water for ages ;)
Good luck, but don't dope your dog.....

Since you have the room, could you maybe have a dog run built in the yard? He might get bored just running up and down the run but it has to be better then nothing.

My brother had a dog that was generally very well behaved, and could mostly be trusted to be let out, do his business, and then come wait by the door to be let back in. But once or twice a year he'd get a wanderlust and go sneaking off for a walkabout. He'd come back a couple days later, covered in mud and burrs, stinking like crazy, obviously having had quite the dog bender. Not that yours would do the same. A Border Collie might start nipping at people's heels trying to herd them. Not everyone would understand the dog means no harm.

Where is the Ceasar Millan when you need him??
Lots of good advice here - sounds like he needs to burn off energy.
As far as him bolting after cars, check out the "Koehler method of dog training": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFU003E/?tag=tvwb-20
Basically, it he chooses to bolt, you go the other direction with his leash held tight. It usually only takes 2-3 attempts & he will quickly learn not to do that. It may seem a little cruel but, what's worse than him getting flattened? It works great for dogs who try to run when the front door is open too!
All my dogs have been trained with this method & they no longer need leashes.
Good luck

Both my Golden Retriever and Yellow Lab pull really hard on the leash - we use a pinch collar that looks like this.
It works well, but it's not easy to put on the dogs. The dog trainer community is "split" on whether or not these collars are OK to use but we use ours a fair amount and the dogs don't seem to mind them at all. View attachment 37703
Note that this pinch collar does not have sharp points, they are rounded. If you go this route, be sure you learn how to use it properly, as it can injure the dog if misused.

Back