Howdy from Michigan

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Just joined the board, looking forward to keeping up with tips/tricks and recipes!

The name's Matt, live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Have always been interested in getting a smoker, and finally joined the club last week. Purchasing 175 lbs of beef (quarter cow) from a local farm gave me the kick-in-the-pants needed to pony up for one.

A couple buddies have a WSM and really recommended it, but truthfully I didn't really expect to get one. Most stores in my area don't carry them as part of their regular stock, so I figured I would probably wind up getting a propane smoker. However, after stops at the two big-box stores near my house turned out fruitless, I decided to make one final stop on my way home-- the family-owned hardware store about two blocks from my house. I enter the store, go to the grills, and what do you know-- a WSM! Clearly this was a sign I was meant to get it. Might even have heard an angel's harp as my eyes fell upon the shiny black dome.

Here are a couple of pics from my first attempt on the WSM, some pork spare ribs last weekend. You'll notice they aren't trimmed-- I think my next attempt at ribs will be trimmed St. Louis style.

8604269998_dc0e77b0e8_z.jpg

8604269440_b58acf5b31_z.jpg

8604040615_e28c093c27_z.jpg

Welcome aboard Matt. Those ribs look real good. Pigs *** rub and sweet baby rays....nice combo. How'd they taste?

Welcome to the forum Matt! Almost directly across the pond west of you;) and i once knew a gal from Kalamazoo :D

Glad the hardware store lured you in and she was waiting for ya!
With Great Lookin' Ribs like these, you'll fit right in four doors down at the Photo Gallery....
Enjoy Your Stay! :wsm:

Welcome aboard Matt. Those ribs look real good. Pigs *** rub and sweet baby rays....nice combo. How'd they taste?

They were great. I had done ribs a couple of times on my grill and never used a rub, so I was venturing into new territory with this job. I think the most telling reaction was that of my wife. She usually doesn't seem to care much for ribs, but she couldn't stop talking about how great they were.

Will be curious to try out some other rubs on future batches of ribs. Definitely will be looking to make some of my own.

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the board. I lived in East Grand Rapids for 6 years and still miss the winters. You will love your new WSM. Great job on the ribs.

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the board. I lived in East Grand Rapids for 6 years and still miss the winters. You will love your new WSM. Great job on the ribs.

The winters are the one thing I think I wouldn't miss were I to ever move south. I love that we get all four seasons here, but dang if I'm not cursing the cold weather come March and I see my southern friends play softball and whatnot.

Matt,

Ribs look great!!!

Is that an 18 or 22? I am still trying to decide which to get myself, and like you, no stores in my area (about 40 min E of Lansing) stock the wsm's!

Matt,

Ribs look great!!!

Is that an 18 or 22? I am still trying to decide which to get myself, and like you, no stores in my area (about 40 min E of Lansing) stock the wsm's!

It's an 18. At this point I don't think I have a realistic need for the bigger one-- majority of the time I'm making meals for just my wife and I, so I won't often run into space issues.

However, I have noticed a big increase in friends dropping hints that we need to invite them over to partake in smoked food goodness, so perhaps I'll be cooking for more than two more frequently than I think I will...

Back