How'd I do?

Picked up this Genesis Platinum B (2005) from CL today. Paid $160. Here it is in the "as found" condition — I didn't even brush off the dust:

IMG_2804.JPGIMG_2806.JPGIMG_2805.JPGIMG_2807.JPGIMG_2808.JPG

Now I know what you're thinking: "what about the notoriously rust-prone cabinet?"

Well, there's a story in there...

i love a happy ending!

and your grill looks great too. (sorry, you left that joke fully exposed).

great find for that price.

Yah, that is a great deal. Looks like it was used a half dozen times. Not sure why Weber never put real solid SS rod grates in those.
Get that cabinet cleaned up and repainted asap and stop the rust now. You have a great find there for that model of grill.

It's not my particular cup of tea, but I think you made a great deal on a like-new grill. Congrats! Nice find.

Yeah, that grill looks like it was used once! Not more than ten times definitely. Great price, and you have an EW Genesis now! The grates look like they're almost new! Great find, you did good!

Yeah, that grill looks like it was used once! Not more than ten times definitely. Great price, and you have an EW Genesis now! The grates look like they're almost new! Great find, you did good!
Well, I currently have a Genesis 3000, so this is actually my second E-W Genesis.

You may already know this, but do be careful with those table extensions on either end...the connectors are only spot welded in one place and could break if you try carrying the grill around with them.

Really nice find! Definitely one of nicest unrestored ones I have seen. Before I left Florida, one of those was my daily driver. Mine could get very hot.

I agree totally with Bruce about taking immediate steps for rust prevention and, when you can, upgrade to stainless rod grates.

I know some don’t like the “monochrome” look, but that Platinum is one stainless hood grill that I really like. Just enough contrast to not be just another all-stainless grill, but it all ties together for a cohesive look. That’s my eyes anyway!😊

For me, it's not the look, it's the stainless. I had to repair, modify, and maintain a couple of large machines that were made entirely of SS for the food packaging industry and grew a dislike for stainless. The chromium content makes it hard to drill and tap yet the threads are so soft they pull right out or strip. It has no "lubricity" so you'd better use anti-seize on everything or it will gall and cold-weld. It work-hardens so quickly that bolt heads will snap off after tightening them a few times. The fasteners are unrated (as in Grade 5 or Grade 8) because the tensile strength is so low. It will dull HSS tooling (ie, hacksaw blades, drill bits) after a single use so carbide tooling is a must, and even that dulls quickly. Forget about using a cutoff wheel or cutoff saw...abrasives don't work well at all, so grinding and cutting is a chore. It's pretty to look at but hard to work with.

Last edited:
For me, it's not the look, it's the stainless. I had to repair, modify, and maintain a couple of large machines that were made entirely of SS for the food packaging industry and grew a dislike for stainless. The chromium content makes it hard to drill and tap yet the threads are so soft they pull right out or strip. It has no "lubricity" so you'd better use anti-seize on everything or it will gall and cold-weld. It work-hardens so quickly that bolt heads will snap off after tightening them a few times. The fasteners are unrated (as in Grade 5 or Grade 8) because the tensile strength is so low. It will dull HSS tooling (ie, hacksaw blades, drill bits) after a single use so carbide tooling is a must, and even that dulls quickly. Forget about using a cutoff wheel or cutoff saw...abrasives don't work well at all, so grinding and cutting is a chore. It's pretty to look at but hard to work with.
Fact is, for grills it holds up where almost any other metal formulation fails.

Fact is, for grills it holds up where almost any other metal formulation fails.
I agree whole-heartedly. And for the food industry, where daily washdowns are required, it's a requirement. I don't mean to appear to be bashing the metal, it's great for it's intended purpose, but I avoid it when possible because of my work experience. And this type of grill reminds me of the machines I used to work on, although much, much smaller, so it wouldn't be for me.

Last edited:
Rain? What's rain? We don't need no stinkin' rain!

Well, they are rationing Colorado River water, I hear, so maybe I better hope for some soon.

I blame it on the California Amond industry...did you know it takes 1.1 gallons of water per almond? And that California supplies something like 80% of the almonds in the world?

Eat more peanuts!

I heard on the news that Aluminum hit a 17 year high, so that might affect grill prices going forward. I wonder what a Genesis cook box would fetch for scrap?

Back