How'd I do?

I heard on the news that Aluminum hit a 17 year high, so that might affect grill prices going forward. I wonder what a Genesis cook box would fetch for scrap?
Ok, well...China stopped taking much of our recyclable aluminum last year as a tit-for-tat in the trade war. Many recycling places closed their doors because of it. So guess where we get our aluminum from?

You may already know this, but do be careful with those table extensions on either end...the connectors are only spot welded in one place and could break if you try carrying the grill around with them.
Yeah, I discovered that the hard way. I have a fix in the works.

I blame it on the California Amond industry...did you know it takes 1.1 gallons of water per almond? And that California supplies something like 80% of the almonds in the world?

Eat more peanuts!
California really needs to build a water desalination plant. I know they never will, but it sure would help.

California really needs to build a water desalination plant. I know they never will, but it sure would help.

Definitely a step in the right direction. When did it go online?

Definitely a step in the right direction. When did it go online?
Located adjacent to the Encina Power Station in Carlsbad, California, the Carlsbad Desalination Plant was developed as a public-private partnership. The project originated in 1998 and launched in 2015 with a purchase agreement with the San Diego County Water Authority. The project has garnered numerous awards for design, implementation and energy efficiency.

Located adjacent to the Encina Power Station in Carlsbad, California, the Carlsbad Desalination Plant was developed as a public-private partnership. The project originated in 1998 and launched in 2015 with a purchase agreement with the San Diego County Water Authority. The project has garnered numerous awards for design, implementation and energy efficiency.
I guess I could have looked it up before I put my foot in my mouth!

Sounds like they need to build several more as well. I am sure they will when the cost of a gallon of water piped in exceeds the cost to desalinate a gallon.

Yeah, they weren't intended for moving the grill around stretcher-style. How are you fixing it?
Easy-peasy. I drilled a .219" hole just past the spot weld, and used an impact driver to insert a 1/4" self-tapping stainless flange bolt. I also did the mod to the other 3 (as-yet unbroken) extensions, so their welds should never fail — and if they do, I'll never notice. It's very solid now.

Last edited:
Sounds like they need to build several more as well. I am sure they will when the cost of a gallon of water piped in exceeds the cost to desalinate a gallon.
80% of the water used in California is used by agriculture. California produces almost all of the country's almonds, apricots, dates, figs, kiwi fruit, nectarines, olives, pistachios, prunes, and walnuts. Artichokes in Castroville and garlic in Gilroy, too. I love driving through Gilroy when the garlic festival is going on...you can smell it for miles!

[GILROY IS] THE ONLY TOWN I KNOW WHERE YOU CAN MARINATE A STEAK BY HANGING IT ON THE CLOTHESLINE -
WILL ROGERS

In some locations, there are roadway signs saying "Using Recycled Water". Um, ok.

Last edited:
Easy-peasy. I drilled a .219" hole just past the spot weld, and used an impact driver to insert a 1/4" self-tapping stainless screw. I also did the mod to the other 3 (as-yet unbroken) extensions, so their welds should never fail — and if they do, I'll never notice. It's very solid now.
I had both extensions on the LH handle of my Silver that were broken that were fixed the same way. The LH swing table still had the dropsies because the connector is free to pivot with just one screw. I replaced them with parts from a donor grill and I don't manhandle the grill with the handles now.

80% of the water used in California is used by agriculture. California produces almost all of the country's almonds, apricots, dates, figs, kiwi fruit, nectarines, olives, pistachios, prunes, and walnuts. Artichokes in Castroville and garlic in Gilroy, too. I love driving through Gilroy when the garlic festival is going on...you can smell it for miles!

[GILROY IS] THE ONLY TOWN I KNOW WHERE YOU CAN MARINATE A STEAK BY HANGING IT ON THE CLOTHESLINE -
WILL ROGERS

In some locations, there are roadway signs saying "Using Recycled Water". Um, ok.
don't forget the Salad Bowl in Salinas. it's the richest soil in the state and they grow all kinds of lettuces there. Avos in socal, stone fruits in norcal, asparagus in the Delta, cashews, citrus in Central Valley and a lot more.

at least Tesla is leaving CA. that'll save some water now with fewer jobs here. <snark>
Yeah, he sold all his properties and packed up for Texas. That's some prime real estate where he was at...I'm pretty sure the property won't stay vacant for long. Don't let the screen door hit ya on ur way out, Elon...

Back