How to stop the Weber getting too hot for low and slow?

I found a snake/fuse of briquettes was the best way to run a Weber kettle low and slow.

Briquettes are far more consistent (as mentioned above) and a fuse limits how many briquettes are burning.

I'd also check if the ash sweepers aren't bent and creating gaps for more air to get in. Likewise, a good seal around the lid is needed.

Sounds like the temp spikes when you take the lid off. That will happen so you need to minimise the amount of time the lid is off.

Last edited:
Thanks all again for the additional comments.

I found a snake/fuse of briquettes was the best way to run a Weber kettle low and slow.

Briquettes are far more consistent (as mentioned above) and a fuse limits how many briquettes are burning.

I'd also check if the ash sweepers aren't bent and creating gaps for more air to get in. Likewise, a good seal around the lid is needed.

Sounds like the temp spikes when you take the lid off. That will happen so you need to minimise the amount of time the lid is off.
Had a look at the sweepers and there was a huge gap. Took it off and reset it and now its scraping unpleasantly!, will need to try and get that right. And will work on the seal around the lid.

I hear everyone regarding the briquettes, so I'm sure I will try that again soon!

What about loading the baskets and lighting one end with a torch? Let the fire crawl up the basket in a snake style?
Never tried a torch, but might look into this.

It's one of those things, like you can slow smoke on a kettle ( the old three wheel daisy ones worked perfectly for this )
and you can grill on a WSM.
But having both makes it easier.;)
Agreed, I have a feeling that might be where I end up!!

I use the torch ignition method on my WSM and I’ve found it much easier than the classic Minion method or any of those other ignition methods.

If you should decide to go the SNS Deluxe route I would wait till around Black Friday as they should have a sale on Amazon or their site. Right now in the US Amazon has it at $104 dollars which is a sale I guess and so does SNS. Back in Sept 2021 they had a labor day sale think it was on their site Bruno a member here brought it to our attention and alot of us jumped on it paid $85.00 for mine with free shipping but of course everything has gone up but Black Friday is coming. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

If you should decide to go the SNS Deluxe route I would wait till around Black Friday as they should have a sale on Amazon or their site. Right now in the US Amazon has it at $104 dollars which is a sale I guess and so does SNS. Back in Sept 2021 they had a labor day sale think it was on their site Bruno a member here brought it to our attention and alot of us jumped on it paid $85.00 for mine with free shipping but of course everything has gone up but Black Friday is coming. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
Remember, Amit is in the UK😉

Remember, Amit is in the UK
Amazon sells the SNS Plus which I assume is Deluxe in the UK. Unfortunately its alot more money over there looks like around $160 us dollars. Not a currency genius so could be wrong.

Tim I remembered he was in the UK so posting prices we paid here over a year ago was kind of silly on my part. :(

Last edited:
Amit one more thing if you are going to try Briquettes they still sell Weber Briquettes in the UK on Amazon I beleive or maybe you could find them at a local store. They do not sell them in the US anymore but they are the best Briquettes I have ever used and there are probably a number of people on the forum who would agree. Down to 8 bags will be painful when they are gone. :(

Amazon sells the SNS Plus which I assume is Deluxe in the UK. Unfortunately its alot more money over there looks like around $160 us dollars. Not a currency genius so could be wrong.

Tim I remembered he was in the UK so posting prices we paid here over a year ago was kind of silly on my part. :(

There is quite a difference between the UK Amazon and the US price, your maths is right - quite a UK tax on the product at the moment!! But there is another shop here that sells it for more like $120. So that isn't quite so bad!

I've seen a diy version which involves getting some spare weber charcoal baskets, taking them apart and then joining them to form one large basket. Obviously you don't get the water barrier though. Tempted to look at that.

Amit one more thing if you are going to try Briquettes they still sell Weber Briquettes in the UK on Amazon I beleive or maybe you could find them at a local store. They do not sell them in the US anymore but they are the best Briquettes I have ever used and there are probably a number of people on the forum who would agree. Down to 8 bags will be painful when they are gone. :(
I've tried some local DIY shop ones (were pretty rubbish) and then Aussie Heat Beads - they seemed ok. Haven't tried Weber, but will put it on the to do list!

I've used a lot of Weber Briquettes in the past year or so. Our equivalent of Home Depot (called B&Q) had a half price sale last year. I bought 24 bags. Sadly no sale this year. Weber Briquettes are OK but my favourite ones have always been Australian Heat Beads.

Recently bought 8 x 4kg bags for £60 - Free delivery for orders over £50.

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/heat-beads/australian-heat-beads-box-of-4.asp?f=0

Always worth researching for best price. I'll take Weber briqs if the price is right.

I concur with Gary. Aussie Heat Beads are superior to Weber briqs.
I've been on a ProQ coconut shell briqs trip for about a year. I highly recommend them.
Napoleon CocoShell, (Robot Turds/Gatling Barrels), are also very good for hibachi style grilling.
Green Olive briqs are also good, but pricey.

Last edited:
So as an update - having another attempt with this (aiming for slightly higher today - around 135-140C today, yes using lump for now and I know it would be better with beads or something).

Took my weber apart and bent back the one-touch down so it made better contact and also bent in the blades a bit to help with the seal around them. Think I may have overdone it because its scraping against the bowl, but it does seem to have made a difference because I've managed to zone in quite well on the 140 and even closed it down a bit too much and it started dropping back. So I think quite a bit of the issue was the one-touch. Also I do get quite a bit of smoke around the rim where my table hooks onto the rim, so I am wondering if a gasket would help just give a bit of a better seal around those items.

Hi Amit,

I had exactly the same issue as you today but using briquettes with snake method and a water tray. With bottom and top vents fully closed it was sitting at 120C!

One of my One Touch blades looks bent up so I’m going to dismantle and persuade them back into shape. Will let you know if that works. Don’t give up on your air leak theory.

Paul

PS despite my temperature stress the 12-hour pork shoulder was delicious 🤤

Looks like a lot of people responded to this and you don't really need my input here. All I can tell you is what works for me. The kettle is actually pretty good at holding temps, but it's not set it and forget it. You have to keep an eye on it. Even if its like every 30 min or so. Small adjustments make a big difference. I do not have a slow n sear. I feel like its a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't really do a whole lot. I use a couple fire bricks that I wall off about a 3rd or so of the way on the grill. Then if for instance its just ribs, and I know Im going to open the grill in 2 or 3 hour to wrap anyway, I do the snake method on the short side of the grill. I also foil the other side of the charcoal grate, so theres no air flow underneath the food, and it also keeps the bowl clean. If its something that will take longer like a pork butt or a brisket, I use the same method, but instead of a snake, I just use a full unlit chimneys worth of charcoal. I also use briquettes because they do not burn as hot, however, if you are careful I don't see why lump would not work. I always start with like 6 lit pieces of charcoal at one end and the vents top and bottom wide open. When I am within like 66% of my target temp, I put my food on and close the lid as fast as possible. I then cut the bottom vent down to the first dot, on the one touch, which is the round part of the P on the vents. If you have the old school vents, then its to about 1/3 open. I leave the top vents open, over the food. When it gets to within 20% of the target temp, I cut my top vents to like a quarter of the way open and then I watch it. The temp should gradually level out to around your target, and you should be able to fine tune with minimal movement of the top vent. It is important NOT to overshoot your target temp, because getting it to come back down is a pain in the butt! That being said, if and when you open the lid, your temps will spike. As long as its not more than a minute or 2, that's ok. You'll put the lid on, your temp will climb to over target. don't freak out. It will come back down within like 20 min or so. 20 min at 310F isn't going to make a whole lot of difference on a rack of ribs that is going to cook at 250 for 4 hours anyway, much less something that can take more more heat for much longer like Brisket for instance.

Also, I absolutely love smoking on the kettle. I don't have a WSM, but I do have a drum smoker, and I like the kettle way better. It's easy to use, and it's pretty good at holding temps.

Last edited:
If you don't mind tending the fire occasionally, I've found that controlling temperature is much easier if you use less fuel. For low and slow cooks at about 120C, I use about 20 lit briquets and add 5 or 6 from time to time, as needed, during the cook. With less fuel, it's much easier to dial in the temperature by adjusting the air flow. Using lump, I'd guess about 1/4 of a standard size chimney would be a good starting point.
One of my kettle grills is an off brand and the bottom doesn't seal very well. This is how I use it successfully for low and slow cooks.

There is another aid for this, called a “tip top” temperature controller, kind of a nifty bimetallic damper, I used mine a couple of times with pretty good results. I have not used it since I got my WSM but, I’ll keep it handy “just because”. I think it was around $20, useful tool.

If you don't mind tending the fire occasionally, I've found that controlling temperature is much easier if you use less fuel. For low and slow cooks at about 120C, I use about 20 lit briquets and add 5 or 6 from time to time, as needed, during the cook. With less fuel, it's much easier to dial in the temperature by adjusting the air flow. Using lump, I'd guess about 1/4 of a standard size chimney would be a good starting point.
One of my kettle grills is an off brand and the bottom doesn't seal very well. This is how I use it successfully for low and slow cooks.
If you watch Bradley Robinson on YouTube, CHUDDS BBQ, this is exactly what he does on his Weber series. He puts in a minimal amount of lump, and adds when his temps start to dip. Not a bad way to do it.

Back