How to save all those lovely juices from the turk

Joey K

TVWBB Member
So this saturday I've got a 21 lb turkey going on the WSM (gotta love it when the little lady requests smoking for moms day!). Trouble is I did one of these for Thanksgiving and it turned out wonderful except all my drippings were a charred mess in my foil lining.

I tried the old leave a big space between the water pan and the foil but its still been a no go for me. Are there any other tricks that can help to preserve all those drippings?

Thanks a lot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joey K:
So this saturday I've got a 21 lb turkey going on the WSM (gotta love it when the little lady requests smoking for moms day!). Trouble is I did one of these for Thanksgiving and it turned out wonderful except all my drippings were a charred mess in my foil lining.

I tried the old leave a big space between the water pan and the foil but its still been a no go for me. Are there any other tricks that can help to preserve all those drippings?

Thanks a lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put an aluminum pan on the bottom grate, above the water pan.

Exactly what Larry said. Then you'll have all those great drippings for your gravy.

I do all my turkeys in a roasting pan and pour white wine into the bottom of the pan to prevent burning. Always end-up with a couple cups of juices and some nice crud on the bottom of the pan for my gravy.

Back