How to reheat smoked turkey without drying it out?

Take it off as close to departure time as possible, wrap and put it in a cooler and consider the trip the “resting” stage. Easy Peasy! Skin won’t be very crispy but, take that all off and crisp it up in a hot oven and treat them like chips!
The driving rest will allow juices to return to meat so, it should be fantastic!

I never travel with a whole cooked turkey. I smoke the day before Thanksgiving, slice and arrange in a disposable foil pan, cover with foil, and refrigerate. I take it cold to my destination, remove the foil and drizzle with some canned chicken broth for some added moisture that steams the meat, refoil and heat in a 300*F oven until the meat hits 140-150*F.

Here's an example from a few years ago on the right with some tiny apples as decoration.

Attachments

• IMG_8592.JPG
    IMG_8592.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 16
Approximately how long should I plan for reheating the turkey? Ball park is fine. I’m smoking a 20# turkey today and reheating at my Mother in Law’s house tomorrow. I’ll bring an instant read thermometer with me. Just trying to plan out oven logistics for tomorrow morning.

Back