How To Legally Move Foxes Out Of Your Yard?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Looking for a legal way to move 2 red foxes from my yard.
One lives under my shed, and the other in a shed next door.
They have eaten most of the rabbits and squirrels nearby. They like
to bury them for later in the lawn. They are too smart for the Havahart traps.
Can't shoot them in the suburbs. Any ideas?

Found this on the internet.

What Smells Deter Foxes?

As you now know, foxes have a strong sense of smell and you can use this to your advantage by learning what smells foxes hate. Mixing chilli pepper and garlic in boiling water and spraying the solution around your garden is the easiest way to deter foxes from entering your garden, as they will be offended by the smell.

What are Foxes Afraid of?

Foxes are afraid of people, loud noises, flashing lights and sudden movements. If you come across a fox, you can yell at it or throw something in its direction to scare them away. There are also ultrasonic devices, available for sale that emit a high-pitch noise that only animals can hear. It would keep away any foxes but have in mind that other animals will hear it, too, and it may cause them great discomfort. A less invasive way to keep away foxes is to leave a light on in your garden. Foxes enjoy the comfort of darkness and will avoid any well-lit areas.

The only thing that got rid of an infestation of groundhogs a few years back was when a family of foxes moved in. As soon as the groundhogs wer gone, the foxes moved on.

I'm beginning to worry about myself. Sitting here wondering if I'd say "awww, but look how cute" if a deer, hawk, or fox was attacking a family member :(

I'm beginning to worry about myself. Sitting here wondering if I'd say "awww, but look how cute" if a deer, hawk, or fox was attacking a family member :(
This one was in my Mom's front yard a couple months ago. He's way to big to mess with.

20210806_124538.jpg

Sorry to hijack the fox thread.

They lived on this block way before my house was built, I just deal with them. Late night “territory marking” helps a little,
asparagus helps a bit more but…

I'd imagine your local DNR have live traps they will set or let you set if you can't get rid of them in other ways. Depends what state you are from, and if you have neighbors close. I have a Winchester 218 bee deluxe that is great for fox removal. There's a few more ways, but some people probably would get upset if they're suggested here.

Looking for a legal way to move 2 red foxes from my yard.
One lives under my shed, and the other in a shed next door.
They have eaten most of the rabbits and squirrels nearby. They like
to bury them for later in the lawn. They are too smart for the Havahart traps.
Can't shoot them in the suburbs. Any ideas?
I happen to live in an area for that is somewhat developed around a lot of wildlife. With that comes a lot of encounters with different species, some more harmful than others. Over the years I have set out live traps, see link below; & have caught fox, opossum, racoon etc.

Within the last month I caught a skunk & wound up paying $85 to have him removed from my property (worth every penny). Per my trapping service, skunk & fox are the largest carrier of rabies.

In the past, I have taken things into my own matters if you get what I am saying. However, I live in the state that borders you to the south, & with that our gun laws compared to yours are polar opposite.

I have a half dozen of this guys friends and family in my front yard every day.. They eat my shrubs, poop all over and leave their ticks behind.

Anyone have a pet mountain lion they can loan me?

View attachment 39021
There was a black bear near you last week on Ring. Feed the bear and the deer will stay away. But then you’ll have a bear of a time getting rid of him.

Go for it.

I’d recco you buy a few cases of beer and invite your best friends over as you’ll need a lot of this to mark the area. At least you’ll have a fun time doing it. Just don’t cross the streams.

Yeah, I would love to have some rodent loving foxes myself. There are a lot of coyotes around here and they are nowhere near a good neighborhood predator.
We had loads of coyotes when we lived in the Sierra foothills. They never bothered us, and did a great job of keeping the feral cat population under control. The local ranchers used them to decorate their fences too :)

Back