How to do wings on my 18.5

So since the Red Sox ate in the World Series I was thinking of doing wings for the game on Sat. I've brined and done spatchcock chicken and they have come out great.
What's the best way to do some wings? Do y'all brine them or just smoke me on HH?
I imagine everyone has a different preference for sauce but I'm open to suggestions.

I prefer mine brined. I'll also take the cooking grate and place it on the charcoal ring for a quick searing of the skin after the smoke. I find if I smoke em long enough to get the skin close to crispy, the chicken itself is way over cooked.

Awesome info guys....any suggestions on rubs and sauces?
I'm gonna check the recipes section but I was just curious what you have tried.
If all goes well Ill have some Heady Topper to enjoy with the wings!

This is my favorite rub recipe for wings, (Neely's rub recipe - courtesy of Food Network):

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I usually substitute Chipotle for the cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Spicy and good !

This is my favorite rub recipe for wings, (Neely's rub recipe - courtesy of Food Network):

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I usually substitute Chipotle for the cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Spicy and good !

For wings, I don't add the brown sugar or the garlic salt (the powder suits me just fine) that Shelia listed, but everything else sounds great.

I usually use smoked paprika and add ancho chili.

I've become partial to Guy Fieri's Carolina wing sauce (although my wife still prefers Franks cut with some melted butter)... just salt/pepper the wings prior to cooking:

1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon sugar

If I have trouble finding adobo sauce by itself, I just buy canned chipotle peppers "in adobo sauce" and strain enough sauce for the recipe

I do wings with high heat and seasoned with Webers kickin chicken and love smoking them and saucing them with Sriracha Orange Marmalade glaze. Fantastic

When I cook wings on my WSM, I like to get the cooker up to 350F, which generally involves propping the door open

I do them all different ways, but try this:
Brine them in a mixture of Good Season's Italian dressing mix and water, for a few hours before you cook them.
Drain the brine in a colander, then coat the wings with olive oil.
Cook them until they are almost done, then slather them with your favorite BBQ sauce. I like Sweet Baby Ray's.
Let the sauce set for 5 or 10 minutes.
Enjoy them with your favorite adult beverage. :)

Good luck.

Back