How to build a less than 200 degree smoke?

John Zell

TVWBB Member
I'm want to try to do a smoke of fish (steelhead) in the following manner.

First 2 hours @ 100-120 degrees
2nd 2 hours @ 140
final 2 hours @ 175

Wood is vine maple and just need to smoke in the first 2 hours.

Going for internal of 160.

Will be doing this in a WSM 22 (that only sees fish) with a CyberQ and Cybercook app.

It all boils down, in my mind, to how many and how to build the coals (and wood)......right?

Your thoughts,

jz

start with like 3 or 4 lit coals and immediately close the bottom vents 3/4 of the way. I've never been able to get it much lower than 180 for long periods of time though.

I went for it last night. Created a half circle of unlit coals in a snake around the perimeter. The coal density increased so as to grow the temp over time. I started 7 coals which was maybe 3 too many. It went to 150 off the bat and settled down to 125. Then slowly built back up as the snake burned. It took 4 hours to get to 165 internal versus the six I planned (hoped) for. I was happy with how the fish turned out, but there is some playing to be done with how to build the snake of unlit coals and wood.

Sorry no pics.

Slow and very low is possible and the cyberQ was very helpful in the burn.

jz

Bob Correll reports good luck with this:

IMGP3897.JPG

IMGP3918.JPG

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-Charcoal-Manager/49316822

I'm going to get one.

That's awesome! It's the domino effect. I'll have to try this stacking method.

Though I want the temp to increase over time. This string might maintain a constant.

Thanks Robert-R via Bob Correll.

Good visual food for thought,

jz

Last edited:
There is plenty of room to "grow" the snake in that contraption. It's all in how you do the stacking of the briquettes.

Back