how often do you replace smoke temp probes?

Tim Loftus

TVWBB Member
I have had the HM for about 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly! while I don't smoke every weekend I do smoke about 1 or 2 times a month. the last couple of times that I have smoked I have found that I need to clean the probe that sits in the chamber that tells me how hot the smoker is. it is an alligator clip. before I clean the probe the temp is way off. after I clean it it goes back to normal. I even tested this with the boiling water test and after it is cleaned it then reads accurate. as the metal sleve is starting to fray I think it is time for a new one.
currently I have
K Type Thermocouple w/ alligator clip, Smoker, model Model: TC-K6A.
from
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=172

so you have to replace these probes every once in a while? or is ther ea better probe out there? other then haveign to clean it off now I have had no issues and am happy with it.

I find this interesting because just last week I was comparing a handful of thermocouple probes because I thought one of them wasn't quite right and found that its temperature was reading about 280F at what I believe was 300F. Even plugging it into the Thermoworks Professional handheld unit confirmed the value was the same as on the HeaterMeter. So it does appear that the probes do not last forever without maintenance?

How do you clean your probe? It appears the thermocouple junction is enclosed so I can't see how that part would be cleaned.

All I do is a little cup of hot water with dish soap in it and a old tooth brush. scrub away for a bit and put put it back in the smoker ( I usually forget to clean it until I am tryign to get the smoker up to temp) and I am good to go.
also I know everyone is a fan of thermoworks. I got a couple of the meat probes and they are well worth the money the fit and finish is way better then the maverick probes I had .....
anyone know what the difference between this probe and the one I listed other then 45 bucks?
http://www.thermoworks.com/8468-22?tw=VWB

I have the Auberins.com alligator clip thermocouple and it has survived, fairly well.

But, my other Auberins.com thermo broke after a few smokes. The outer-metal part came off and left the wires exposed. Both have had problems with their mini plugs with either wires getting twisted or broken.

I also have one of high heat thermoworks thermocouples, and its quality is so much better. The mini plug has a rubber gasket to help keep the wires protected. Also, the overall quality is just better.

Is it worth the high price, yes, for quality and knowing that I won't need to be to careful with it. It will last a very long time.

I have had an Auberins.com Alligator Clip thermocouple, and while it survived OK, i didn't like the fact that the sleeve was welded to the alligator clip. If the clip spring breaks, or otherwise meets it's demise, you can't replace it.

I like the idea of the rubber "strain" relief on the thermoworks probes you listed, and I'll probably incorporate that idea into the ones I make. (Which I'll be offering to forum members cheap once I get a new batch of wire in).

All I do is a little cup of hot water with dish soap in it and a old tooth brush. scrub away for a bit and put put it back in the smoker ( I usually forget to clean it until I am tryign to get the smoker up to temp) and I am good to go.
also I know everyone is a fan of thermoworks. I got a couple of the meat probes and they are well worth the money the fit and finish is way better then the maverick probes I had .....
anyone know what the difference between this probe and the one I listed other then 45 bucks?
http://www.thermoworks.com/8468-22?tw=VWB

Thermoworks does have a SLIGHTLY less expensive Alligator clip model:
http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-041?tw=VWB

It does not have the same max temp but is still good to 660F. I debated this and the auber today and finally ordered the auber

The expensive one is rated at 900F for both thermocouple and cable, that's pretty high, I assume that has something to do with the cost. Most cheaper TC's and cables are rated quite a bit lower...

Actually, the $13 Auber is also rated at 900F. I have ruined an Auber by cleaning it too aggressively, but at $13 I can ruin 3 more and still be ahead.

Back