how much will a brisket feed?

Ryan Slater

First post. I love this forum and TVWB site. They have made smoking for the first timer so much easier. I purchased a 10lb packer and was wondering how many servings I'll get after smoking. I guess a better question would be how much eatable meat there is after smoking. Thanks in advanced.
Ryan

All the meat will be eatable...it will shrink a little but not much. :wsm:

Welcome to the site neighbor. I was working in your town today.

Last edited:
I bought an 8lb brisket and it fed 5 adults and 7 kids (ages 2-10) with some left over, and that was with a couple people going back for seconds.

Depends too on how you are serving it. If it's on a bun it will go further. Depends on what you are doing with the Point. Like Dwain and Matt I cook them 12-14 lbs. and 20 servings is pretty realistic.

Warning...if you make Burnt Ends they will disappear very quickly. Portions are not calculable. :p:)

Welcome Ryan,

For meat, figure 4-6 oz per person + 10%; don't ever run out of meat. You can increase to 4-8 oz per person + 10% if there are a lot of guys, you want doggie bags or want to save some for next week. For meat yields, I use 55% of trimmed meat (pre-cooked). For example, I buy a 17 lb full brisket, I trim 3 lbs of marble off so it's 14 lbs pre-cooked weight. After rub, smoke & rest I end up with 123 oz of serve-able meat (14 lb * .55 * 16 oz/lb = 123.2 oz) which can serve 15-30 people.

Or go the other way. You want to serve brisket to a group of 10 hungry friends. So 10 ppl * 8 oz * 110% = 88 oz or 5.5 lbs of serve-able meat. You will need to buy a 12-14 lb pre-trimmed brisket (full, flats).

I am pretty certain the arithmetic is correct. :)

Thanks for all the help. I smoked the brisket for 12 hours, let rest in a cooler for 2 hours, sliced it up and it was great. It feed 8 adults 6 kids and had some left overs. The point was pretty big so I smoked it an additional 5 hours the next day and made burnt ends, man was that good.

Thanks for all the help. I smoked the brisket for 12 hours, let rest in a cooler for 2 hours, sliced it up and it was great. It feed 8 adults 6 kids and had some left overs. The point was pretty big so I smoked it an additional 5 hours the next day and made burnt ends, man was that good.

Did you take any pics?:wsm:

Back