How much mesquite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to smoke an 8 plus lb brisket this Sat. and plan to use mesquite wood for it. The few briskets I've done in the past I've used oak. I've heard mesquite can be a strong smoke so I don't want to blow it away, but with a brisket there may not be a problem with "too much" smoke. Anyone offer words of wisdom from some past experiences with mesquite?? Thanks!

Better Living Thru BBQ

Hi Erich,

I haven't done mesquite on a brisket but last week Jim Minion recommended 4 to 5 chunks of cherry for my cook. I used 5 and it seemed just about right.

Since I believe cherry's a bit milder than mesquite I guess you'd want to go on the light side.

BTW, are you doing a whole brisket or just a flat?

I'd say go with one fist-sized chunk and see how you like the result, and more next time if you think it needs it. If you go with too much-- and it's easy to over-do-- there's no fixing it.

It's a whole brisket.

Doug, just one chunk for a whole 12hr cook? That may take some self-control on my part.

Erich, I used to use mesquite all the time for everything. You'd be ok with 2 chunks! 4 or 5 chunks and you'd be overboard. It is really to your personal pallet! If you like mesquite on beef, 2 or 3 would be fine!

However, as stated before, you cannot undo the smoke after you cook it so be prudent initally. I'd go with 2 fist-sized chunks and adjust from there. It'll be fine!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but is the majority of the "smoking" going on in the early stages of the process? I think I read that somewhere around here..

~Dave

Erich,

Like Greg, I've done quite a bit of mesquite, being that I'm here in Arizona. It is quite a strong tasting wood, so it is better to go light than heavy. I haven't done a whole brisket so I'm pretty useless, but I will say I've done some tri-tips on a hot WSM with mesquite and they came out fabulous. Even after the appearance of smoke is gone, the wood will continue to impart smoke flavor, so don't be fooled into putting too much on. I'd go the "size of two fists" or maybe "two or three oranges" (my fists appear to be bigger than others).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erich K:
It's a whole brisket.

Doug, just one chunk for a whole 12hr cook? That may take some self-control on my part. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hear me now, and believe me later. -- Arnold

[/QUOTE]
Hear me now, and believe me later. -- Arnold[/QUOTE]

FRAM: Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later?
2 Chunks will be fine. Bryan

Your best bet would be to throw the mesquite in the trash and get some hickory
icon_razz.gif
Or just do what Doug said, one good sized chunk.

in my experience mesquite burns mighty hot, use sparingly at first to figure out the taste & heat level, good luck hoss

Thanks for all the input and opinions...The briskie will be going on the rack pre-dawn on Sat. I'll give a post on the results after that
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Cluck:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but is the majority of the "smoking" going on in the early stages of the process? I think I read that somewhere around here..

~Dave <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct.

My understanding is that the meat will continue to absorbe smoke during the whole cook...The smoke-ring stops when the meat reaches 140* or so...??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My understanding is that the meat will continue to absorbe smoke during the whole cook...The smoke-ring stops when the meat reaches 140* or so...?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> DITTO!!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
My understanding is that the meat will continue to absorbe smoke during the whole cook...The smoke-ring stops when the meat reaches 140* or so...?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me. I was referring to the smoking stage of smokewood not so much the adsorbtion or absorbtion of the meat. Many of us (some of us?) feel that introduction of smokewood at the later stages of barbecuing significantly raises the potential for creosote adsorbtion, and hence bitterness. I believe that smokewood continues to flavor the meat well into the cook but that it should be introduced dry and at the outset.

There's a bit of a discussion here.

Kevin, I always soak my smoke wood for 2hrs before the cook! Never had any bitterness issues but also never add any wood after the initial start!

Sorry, I miss understood...Never tried intoducing smoke late in a cook though...Guess that's a good thing
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back