How much mesquite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Many of us (some of us?) feel that introduction of smokewood at the later stages of barbecuing significantly raises the potential for creosote adsorbtion, and hence bitterness. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> There should be very little if any creosote produced when you are smoking. The wood should burn clean when you are cooking. If you are producing creosote when you smoke you have a fire that is not burning properly. Your top vent should always be 100% open to have proper air flow "exhaust", otherwise your fire will be "smoldering" vs. "burning". Regardless of when you add the wood, you should have a very minimal amount if any of creosote.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian L.:
Your best bet would be to throw the mesquite in the trash and get some hickory... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man, this son is a set bout his hickory as them Texans is bout their beef.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
It is the sticky black goo that comes from wood.

It will ruin your Que! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ergo, your day.

Just a followup from my brisket cook yesterday. I used four mesquite chunks that were about the size of golfballs (maybe a little bigger). I buried two in the charcoal and two on top (using Minon meth). The end result was good smoke ring, though I couldn't really taste a distinctive smoke flavor. Also, I must have cooked it too long (got it up to about 200 in the flat) because it was pretty dry, though the point meat was nice. Chalk up another one to working on mastering the art of Q
icon_razz.gif

PS: Go Pats!!

HA HA at all of you "use less" mesquite pros!! I am the "CRAZY MESQUITE MAN"...never forget it!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Typically on brisket I use 5-6 mesquite chunks! NOT OVERPOWERING...JUST GOOD!!

Erich,
Wait until tomorrow to judge your result-- after you are no longer de-sensitized to smoke from being around it all day. Remember, you're not cooking for the guy who likes 4 or 6 big chunks of mesquite on his brisket, you're cooking for you, and ultimately, that's who you need to please. Until you know what you like, use less to start.

Kevin - It was unfoiled the whole time...the flat was kind of thin I noticed after it was cooked so that's probably why it got up to that temp so fast.

Greg - You go man! I was trying to get a TX brisket style flavor. I won't throw out the mesquite!

Doug - Thanks, you're right about the next day. It tasted good and wasn't overpowering. What temp do you normally smoke brisket up to??

Not sure if your question was solely for Doug...

I cook to 160 intternal then foil adding 3/4-1 c beef stock or stock mixed with red wine or stock mixed with reduced balsamic before closing up the foil. I then cook to the low 190s, pull, put on another layer of foil, wrap in a towel, and hold in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours. Then I use the accumulated juices in the sauce.

Erich,
Since a packer is usually more than I can use, I typically choose USDA Choice flats in cryovac from Sam's. They have a decent fat cap left on, which is what I'm looking for for brisket-- if I have time and choose to make it into pastrami, I can always trim it a little. Anyway, the last one I took to 165° and foiled it, intending to pull it off at 190°. I didn't hear the alarm, and it ended up going to 195 before I pulled it off and stuck it in the cooler for an hour. It was still great.

If you do a whole, just monitor the flat, and when it's ready to pull off, separate the point and put it back on until it hits 205. Rest the flat however you wish, and when all is said and done, you'll have a sliceable flat and a shreddable point-- both really good.

When using mesquite I tend to use this formula.
use about 3/4 the wood you usually would.
2 parts pecan
1 part mequite.
Don't be afraid of mesquite just need to be used a little more carefully.
You can get really good results with beef and turkey.

Mesquite is powerful strong to my taste too even though I only discovered Q less than two years ago. Just try a whole bunch with some chicken for an example of how too much/wrong smoke can wreck your meat (according to my sense of taste).

You asked for advice on a topic that has a lot to do with taste & personal preference. I think Doug D gave you very good advice, in general if your not sure go light then add more next time. He said to try one fist sized chunk .... how many golf ball size chunks does it take to make one fist sized chunk? I'm thinking 3-4.

I take packers to 200 in my wsm's and Klose offset, without foil. Never had a dry one yet.

Last Friday had three packers on each wsm with mesquite, about 2 - 2 1/2" by as long as would fit in the ring. Nice flavor.

I use a lot of mesquite. I love the flavor. I put 6 large chunks in for my butt Friday and loved the results. I would not even be afraid to use more the next time, but like others have said, it is for your taste.

I've got a brisket sitting here ready to go (well, waiting for me to get off my tail and do something with it) and having seen that bbq show spotlighting a famous TX Q place that ONLY cooks over mesquite wood (and maybe with no rub---only S&P) and having read Bob's and Greg's testimonials, I'm thinking I might just oughta go mesquite this time.

Of course, I don't HAVE any mesquite....but it's easy as pie to find. I saw some just yesterday in fact at a local grocery store, so mebbe I'll do that.

Oh good grief----am I going to ruin my brisket????!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:

Oh good grief----am I going to ruin my brisket????! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are lots of mesquite fans on this board!
Some people don't like it at all. It's a bit resinous and too 'strong' for some tastes. Personally, I like it but don't use it as often as hickory (far cheaper here) or citrus wood or oak (free!).

I've got wayyyyy too many mesquite chips soaking right now, just in case the brisket is going on tonight. The smoker's ready to go, but the brisket is still in its cryovac. I'm thinking of going commando with this brisket----just the mesquite plus salt and pepper and maybe without even TRIMMING the brisket!

Maybe I've lost my ever-lovin' mind.

Anyway, it all depends on the amount of adult beverages enjoyed with tonight's baseball game. I'm on my way to get some chorizo for a paella that's gettin' done on the grill tonight (clams, mussels, chicken, scallops, etc.). So...we'll see if this gal does her wild west brisket tonight....!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Susan, how "easy" is pie exactly?!?!?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm waiting??

Also, you never told me "how a peach works" either, Susan!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back