How much fuel am I wasting? Not as much as you think!

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
I've noticed a number of posts from people who don't use water or a clay pot bottom because they waste fuel.
It turns out that you waste very little fuel with the clay pot & only a moderate amount with water.
To boil away a gallon of water in the WSM takes bout one pound of charcoal.
To heat a 3 lb pot bottom in the mini from 50F to 250F takes between 1 & 2 briquettes!
To heat a bigger 6 lb pot bottom takes 3 briquettes .
Their are other reasons to not use water or a clay bottom , but fuel usage isn't a valid reason.

1 gal water about 8 lbs
1000 BTU's to boil away a lb of water.
A pound of charcoal produces about 9000 BTU's
To heat a pound of dry clay from 50F to 250F takes 200 BTU's
15 to 20 briquettes in a pound of charcoal.

Good information there,thank you.I use water,only because it is so easy to get the wsm to settle in at 225+degrees with water in the pan for me.No water in the pan if doing higher heat cooks of course,and really didn't worry about how much fuel i was "wasting",always fill the water bowl at least half full of hot water from the start,works for me.

You must be retired, hey John?
icon_razz.gif
Just kidding bro. I agree that once any heat sink is hot, that it will take little fuel to sustain it. It probably makes it even more efficient. I just don't like the clean up as I am very lazy. I have considered foiling a clay saucer, but so far my WSM is holding temps quite well so I haven't looked for one. (again...lazy)
icon_wink.gif
How was Mardi Gras?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich (Big Rich):
Good information there,thank you.I use water,only because it is so easy to get the wsm to settle in at 225+degrees with water in the pan for me.No water in the pan if doing higher heat cooks of course,and really didn't worry about how much fuel i was "wasting",always fill the water bowl at least half full of hot water from the start,works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, Big Rich, are we the only ones who don't find using water in the WSM to be a problem? Sometimes seems like it.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich (Big Rich):
Good information there,thank you.I use water,only because it is so easy to get the wsm to settle in at 225+degrees with water in the pan for me.No water in the pan if doing higher heat cooks of course,and really didn't worry about how much fuel i was "wasting",always fill the water bowl at least half full of hot water from the start,works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, Big Rich, are we the only ones who don't find using water in the WSM to be a problem? Sometimes seems like it.

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with ya. Still using water here. It ain't broke, so I'm not planning on fixing it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Right, Jim. I've tried no water and a clay saucer, but just didn't see any big advantage. If I need HH, I'll go without water.

I had to do a cleanup this morning prior to some ribs today. Must have took me all of 10 minutes! And now the ribs are on with a gallon of hot tap water. Water bowl covered over with a sheet of HD foil to catch the drippings.

The ribs smell GOOD!

Rich

To me cleaning the water pan is quick and easy.I always clean the ashes out,rinse and dry the water pan,clean up the grates,and get it ready for the next smoke as soon as possible......probably don't need to clean the grates as well as i clean them but i like to see fairly clean grates each time i start a smoke.Water in the pan just makes temp control childs play for me.Richard

John, thanks for the math. It confirms what I suspected, since I've not been able to tell much of a difference in fuel consumption, water in the pan or simply foiled.

I don't have a problem with the clean-up of the water pan, and I most certainly like the heat sink properties, ESPECIALLY when it's breezy. My only real issue with the water pan is how it affects my bark, especially on brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Nicely done John. Can't beat math and science for solving a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe in science. I just pray to the barbecue gods and trust that things will work out.

Bill

Back