How much chicken on the 14" WSM?

Danny C's

Morning All,

I'm curious how much chicken folks have been able to fit on a 14" WSM at once and how you have it cut up and arranged.

Also curious for those that are using a maverick thermometer for pit temp, seems like it takes up a lot of space on the grate in order to make sure the tip of the probe is not too close to the edge...is there a better way to do this so that it doesn't take up too much space and you still get an accurate reading of the cooking area? (I'm just using the grate clip that came with it, tried using a potato once but that took up even more space and clean-up was more of a hassle).

Finally, i recently did the "basic barbecued chicken" recipe from the main website and for the final crisping the skin step just rested the top grate directly on the coal ring...I'm guessing the coal ring is not higher than the bottom bowl in the larger WSMs based on the picture accompanying the recipe but am wondering if anybody removes the coal ring or anything like that so you can use the whole grate surface for skin crisping rather than just the part that fits over the coal ring.

Thanks for your input!
Dan

I cut up a chicken and added a 6 pack of large chicken thighs at the same time on my last cook. Without water the bottom cooks faster btw.

I just did the hot and fast chicken this past Sunday. On the top grate I had a 5lb bird butterflied. I might have been able to get a 6lb bird on there as long as it wasn't too much longer. So two butterflied chickens wouldn't be a problem. I haven't done anything cit-up...yet.

Two butterflied chickens, one on each grate.
7 cornish hens, 4 on the top grate and 3 on the bottom.

Back