How many use lump?

I have always used KBB ever since I got my first WSM. Lately thought about trying lump. Less ash but I know it gives off more heat. I run a guru so I think that can easily be controlled. Anyone use it? How do you light your WSM with it? Just add a couple lit pieces to a full ring?

From day one I used RO lump on my WSM. Just start with a small amount of lit and catch the temps on the way up, I don't know how that works with an ATC, cause I never used one.
And yes, lump will burn hot if you let it go full bore.

Tim

Honestly, in the oxygen deprived environment of a wsm, I don't think that lump burns really any hotter than typical briquettes. I believe Cooks Illustrated or someone did a test and proved it. How it rides depends on how tight you pack it and the amount of small pieces. Anyhow, I light it and use it pretty much like briquettes. The best thing about it is that it burns very cleanly during a Minion burn, which means you get more of the smoke flavor from your wood chunks. Save the leftovers. They don't soak up as much moisture as leftover briquettes.

The thing about lump I like most is not having to gently kick the crap out of the cooker to dislodge ash. I use it regularly. I did get a charcoal grate I turned 90* to the current grate to keep small pieces from falling thru.

Lump, lit with a Weber cube.
If going manual I light the cube in the center of the pile; if using an ATC I put the cube opposite the fan

I use Ozark Lump, 10# for $5 at the local grocery. I did try a bag of KBB a few years ago, and haven't gone back. In long cooks, the ash from KBB choked out the air flow in the bottom, I use a Digi Q DX2 to control the air and I like to see some space between the charcoal grate and the ash when I'm done. I place my chunks of wood dispersed around the ring of lump, using the minion method, using a chimney started with two sheets of yesterdays news.

Honestly, in the oxygen deprived environment of a wsm, I don't think that lump burns really any hotter than typical briquettes.
The truth. Use the vents to control the heat. Just as easy as with briquettes. Yesterday, I smoked a bone in butt using up some KBB left over from last year. Started with a mounded ring and after about 6-7 hours I had to go through the door to poke ash through the grate as I was losing too much heat. The butt, cooked at about 280*, was done in 9 hours. Today I went out to clean up the pans etc and saw almost no unburned coals. Thank goodness I only have one more bag of Kingsford left to use. Lump is where it's at. Try it a few times and you'll be hooked

I also use lump unless I can get a good deal on kingsford competition briquettes or royal oaks chef select but other then that I prefer lump.

I've burned KBB, K-Comp, Stubbs, and lump in the WSM. For me, the lump didn't last as long and I had to re-fuel on a cook I know would have been fine with briquettes. I like lump for grilling, but not for the long WSM smokes.

I've burned KBB, K-Comp, Stubbs, and lump in the WSM. For me, the lump didn't last as long and I had to re-fuel on a cook I know would have been fine with briquettes. I like lump for grilling, but not for the long WSM smokes.

I find the same to be true. However, I don't like all that smoke at the first of a cook from dumping lit on unlit briquettes. So I put a layer or two of briquettes in the bottom of the ring, fill the rest of the ring up with lump, and then light with briquettes. Works pretty good.

Wow, this is interesting Chad. I used KBB and Stubbs a long time ago and had no problems with longevity, just like you. When I switched to lump because I absolutely hated all the ash buildup, I had no trouble on long cooks, so I never realized this was an issue for others. I have done many 15+ hour cooks without refueling lump...with a few going 20-24 hrs (butts, then chickens, then sides).

This was on my 18 WSM. I got a new 22 WSM not too long ago, but haven't done anything really long on it (only 13hrs or less). I do take 5 min to break up the big pieces and make sure I shake and get the lump packed in fairly well.

Thanks for the info....interesting to hear others experiences.

Kg

Generally, I use lump for shorter cooks like ribs or chicken. I use briquettes for long cooks like pork shoulder or brisket. Or sometimes I'll start a long cook with lump, then feed with briquettes later in the cook if I need to add fuel. I find it difficult to get through a 12+ hour cook using lump without the need to add more fuel at some point.

I really like the early morning smell of burning lump charcoal, and I don't get that from briquettes. Not sure it transfers anything to the meat but that's beside the point.

This was on my 18 WSM.

Kg

I should also add... This was on my 22, and not the 18. But I used an entire 20lb bag of lump on that cook. Even with kbb, I notice the 18 is a lot easier of fuel consumption, so maybe my lump experience would have different results. Only one way to find out. :D

Well I was at the hardware store to get some things and bought some lump. All they had was cheapo cowboy or the good one ($17 for 20#) So I bought some to do salmon on planks fro 1st time tonight and some comp chicken practice tomorrow.

I use Ozark Lump, 10# for $5 at the local grocery. I did try a bag of KBB a few years ago, and haven't gone back. In long cooks, the ash from KBB choked out the air flow in the bottom, I use a Digi Q DX2 to control the air and I like to see some space between the charcoal grate and the ash when I'm done. I place my chunks of wood dispersed around the ring of lump, using the minion method, using a chimney started with two sheets of yesterdays news.

Good to see a fellow Arkansan, and I love Ozark Oak lump. It also gets great marks at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

I tend to use lump for grilling and briquettes for the wsm. I load up with Kingsford during the big seasonal sales, and I load up on Ozark Oak any time I pass a Harp's grocery store (there aren't any in Little Rock). I made the mistake of trying Best of the West Mesquite Lump (from Sam's Club), and it was absolute junk. I seriously considered breaking out an ax or saw to cut up the large limbs and branches they put in the bag. The majority of the bag was either large branches or tiny particles, with very little in a useful size. It was ridiculous. I'm tempted to try to get a volume discount on a pallet of Ozark Oak, but it's a long drive on narrow, hilly, windy roads to get from here to there.

Good to see a fellow Arkansan, and I love Ozark Oak lump. It also gets great marks at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

I tend to use lump for grilling and briquettes for the wsm. I load up with Kingsford during the big seasonal sales, and I load up on Ozark Oak any time I pass a Harp's grocery store (there aren't any in Little Rock). I made the mistake of trying Best of the West Mesquite Lump (from Sam's Club), and it was absolute junk. I seriously considered breaking out an ax or saw to cut up the large limbs and branches they put in the bag. The majority of the bag was either large branches or tiny particles, with very little in a useful size. It was ridiculous. I'm tempted to try to get a volume discount on a pallet of Ozark Oak, but it's a long drive on narrow, hilly, windy roads to get from here to there.

Mark, you're a LOT closer to Ozark Oak than the rest of us! A buddy of mine gave me a bag to try a while back. That's some good lump, but too pricey for me. I'm with ya on the mesquite lump at Sam's. It's just a pain to deal with. Lowe's now has Frontier lump in the 20# bags, but I don't know anything about it. The bag I picked up felt like a lot of small stuff, but lump can be a pig in a poke.

Back