How many slabs of ribs?

dave_k

I'm looking to do 6 slabs of ribs tomorrow on my 18.5" bullet. What would be the best way to fit them on ther? It seems like you can fit up to 4 on a rib rack on each grate, and then rotate them halfway through (swap the grate positions). Or would it be best to try and roll all of them and fit them on the top? I get the swift ribs from costco which I have had good success with before, and they seem to average about 15" in length.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Hey Dave, Welcome to the forum! </span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">I have an 18inch WSM also and I've done 6 racks of babybacks (which I believe you're talking about also).</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">I've rolled and spiked and I've also racked them, but doing so, I needed to cut the racks in half.</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">Something I do not like to do.</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">My</span> rib rack <span class="ev_code_RED">can hold 5 racks cut in half.</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">Butt, usually, I roll and spike with three on the top and three on the lower.</span>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Good Luck with your cook and ENJOY!</span>
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Unless I had more than six slabs, I would roll. I used to use a rib rack. I didn't mind cutting the slabs and I didn't notice any issues with the way the ribs turned out. What I did notice is that I had to clean the rib rack.

Rolling is the easy way. Skewer each rack with those bamboo skewers and when the ribs are done all you have to do is throw the skewers out.

I would rotate the ribs after a couple hours. No so much from top to bottom, but I like to move the ribs so that the meat that was around the outside edge of the grate gets moved to the inside. I usually flip them during this process. Might not be necessary, but it's not difficult and that's what I do.

Good luck.

I use a 22.5 WSM and haven't done more than 6 racks at a time yet, so I have a question to you 'rollers'.

Why not just use bamboo skewers to hold the ribs vertically like a rib rack? Picture 4 racks of ribs stacked on top of eachother. push a few skewers through them straight up and down. Now rotate the ribs on their sides and pull some room between the ribs so they stand up?

I just finished cooking 6 slabs of BB ribs on an 18.5 WSM.
This is what I found works best for me”

I cut 3 ribs off of each of the 6 slabs, lay 2 slabs on the bottom rack and four slabs in a Weber rib rack on the top rack. I place the 3 rib pieces wherever they will fit, lean them up against the rib rack, etc.. Not the most ideal way it but it works for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom R (doughboy):
Why not just use bamboo skewers to hold the ribs vertically like a rib rack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
sounds like too much work for me... butt then, I'm pretty lazy
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
Hey Jim, where'd ya get that rib rack?
I'd be interested in getting one of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
I made it. Saw one similar somewhere on-line years ago and thought I could make it bigger and better... so I did. It's so fricken heavyduty, I can stand on it at 230lbs.

I haven't tried this, but it seems it would work...

A rib rack on each grate (4 racks cut in half), with another cut in half and laying across the top like Stonehenge, with bamboo skewers under to minimizing the touching, and the final cut in half rack standing vertically and leaning at a slight angle against the edges of the ones in the racks. In fact, if this works, you could fit 7, with leaners on each side. of each rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom R (doughboy):
Why not just use bamboo skewers to hold the ribs vertically like a rib rack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
sounds like too much work for me... butt then, I'm pretty lazy
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Apparently I can get 8 racks at a time on the 22:

IMG_1579.jpg

Tom - I'm C'monin' over!!! Those ribs look AWESOME!!!

if using bamboo skewers turns out eets like that, you sold me!!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Tom - I'm C'monin' over!!! Those ribs look AWESOME!!!

if using bamboo skewers turns out eets like that, you sold me!!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Thanks. I'm just about ready to pull them off the WSM. Probably another 15 minutes, then I'll wrap in foil and rest 'em for about 20.

I use a 22.5 WSM and haven't done more than 6 racks at a time yet, so I have a question to you 'rollers'.

Why not just use bamboo skewers to hold the ribs vertically like a rib rack? Picture 4 racks of ribs stacked on top of eachother. push a few skewers through them straight up and down. Now rotate the ribs on their sides and pull some room between the ribs so they stand up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a 22 you can do that. With an 18 you'd still have to curl them if not roll them unless they were some pretty short ribs.

On a 22 you could just lay them flat - sweet.

I use metal skewers - I picked up a couple of 3 packs at my local Publix grocery store.

The metal skewers are great - strong, tough, heat resistant, easy to clean and were pretty cheap.

Ive been able to curl 3 racks per shelf on my WSM. ( I have the older 18 " ) - with no problems. I used to use a rib rack but now I only roll my ribs and skewer them ( baby backs only though )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
Hey Jim, where'd ya get that rib rack?
I'd be interested in getting one of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
I made it. Saw one similar somewhere on-line years ago and thought I could make it bigger and better... so I did. It's so fricken heavyduty, I can stand on it at 230lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should make/sell those things.

Back