How Many Pounds Can You Get on a 22?

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
Well, we are preparing for our son's graduation open house and pork butts are the star of the party. I know this question has been asked before, but there are some new folks here so I thought I would bring it up again. How many butts have you guys crammed into your WSM? I have a 22, but any experience with 18s are welcomed too. I'm thinking that if I add a third rack, I should be able to get 12 eight pounders on there. Suggestions?

I've done 60 lbs (3 10lber's on each rack) but I probably could have squeezed another on each rack...So I'm thinkin' about 80lbs!

Agree with above as a rough estimate. A few weeks ago I did 6 boneless butts - probably about 45-50 lbs uncooked. There was plenty of room left... could easily have put two more butts per rack on, so 10 butts at 7-8 lbs each. You could conservatively get 45-50 lbs cooked meat without any rack modifications.

If you attempt a cook this big, beware of cook times. The cook will take much longer (several hours) than a lightly loaded smoker. For an important event like a graduation party, it might be best to experiment first, cook a few days in advance and just reheat for the party, or give yourself a good margin for error with your start time (you can keep the meat above 140 in a cooler for at least 4-5 hours if you accidentally finish early)

I've been able to get 5 9# butts per rack on mine and had plenty of room for air to circulate. Biggest think to be careful of with that much meat is watch the grease level in the bowl, it can get pretty deep, On the 18, maybe 3 per shelf, but I usually stick to two

I did 4 on my 22.5 that weighed 9lbs or more each and had plenty of room. They were bone in and I did half them to make for faster cooking time and more bark. I did not use water in the pan either.

These 8ish pounders were done on the middle and top grates, so yes 12 if using all 3. Good luck to ya
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am going to be doing the same here in the next week or so. I am planning on doing pork then freezing till the day. I have put 4 butts on a 22" rack on a regular basis. I don't think 5 is a possibility unless you put them on their side, which I have not ever tried. Will be smokin meatloafs the day of the party.

Back