How many Heatermeter/Raspi built so far

Just finished assembling mine today! Everything fired up fine, adjusted the LCD screen to see the text. Setup the wifi, then powered it from the power block instead of the from the usb connection. I was initially puzzled as to why my fan was not working but realized it could not be powered from the USB connection. So excited, thank you everyone. Going to try it out today! Number 58 then!? Thanks again!

#60! Got the parts on Saturday and finished it Sunday. Fired it up and everything looks good, now to fire the grill up next! Thanks Bryan and all!

I finally finished mine. Great little helper.

I made one adjustment that I really like. If anyone is interested Samtec has a elevated socket ( ESQ-113-34-t-D ) that gives you the height to avoid removing the RCA connector on the Pi, plus extends the pins through the top of the board to use a ribbon cable. ( www.samtec.com ) I made this change because I've been using the PI as a media center player and wanted a quick way to disconnect.

Also, I've been using the Heatermeter as a sous vide controller and came across something.

After using as a sous vide, I was using just the Heatermeter without the Pi to control the smoker a few days later. Unfortunately, I forgot to reset the PID rates and the min fan speed. It took me awhile to figure out why it was having such a hard time controlling the smoker until I hooked up the Pi to look at the settings.

Is there any way to store presets (multiple PID and fan settings) for different cookers on the Heatermeter? Other than that it's been working great.

I finally finished mine. Great little helper.

I made one adjustment that I really like. If anyone is interested Samtec has a elevated socket ( ESQ-113-34-t-D ) that gives you the height to avoid removing the RCA connector on the Pi, plus extends the pins through the top of the board to use a ribbon cable. ( www.samtec.com ) I made this change because I've been using the PI as a media center player and wanted a quick way to disconnect.

Also, I've been using the Heatermeter as a sous vide controller and came across something.

After using as a sous vide, I was using just the Heatermeter without the Pi to control the smoker a few days later. Unfortunately, I forgot to reset the PID rates and the min fan speed. It took me awhile to figure out why it was having such a hard time controlling the smoker until I hooked up the Pi to look at the settings.

Is there any way to store presets (multiple PID and fan settings) for different cookers on the Heatermeter? Other than that it's been working great.

It's not in front of me right now & I haven't done this yet so forgive any ambiguity, but there is a hyperlink at the bottom of the linkmeter config page. Set up your config, then bookmark that hyperlink. When you change back & forth between SV & smoker, just load the bookmark once the heatermeter is up on the network. I don't think there's enough storage on the ATMEL to be able to have presets or profiles. You'll have to use the RPi to swap out configs.

Another option would be to have the RPi flash the ATMEL each time it starts up with your settings of choice (perhaps 2 SD cards?). Beyond my capabilities, and a bit clunky IMO.

Sounds like heatermeter #2 is in it's infancy :)

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I might try the bookmark trick.

I was trying to avoid having to use an outside device or the Rasberry to set up the Heatermeter between cookers. I'd like to be able to change most settings just from the LCD menu. Maybe add a few more menu options on the heatermeter to set the PID values and Min fan speed (Max is already there). Or ideally, a couple preset cooker options.

I did find that the Reset menu option will bring it back for controlling the smoker (So that's a start). Maybe I'll poke around and see how difficult it might be to add a couple custom reset values (Default Smoker / Default Electric). I have very little experience programming (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) so I don't expect much.

I have very little experience programming (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) so I don't expect much.
That cracked me up. Something that used to be in HeaterMeter back when it was an Arduino with a wifi shield attached to it was that on bootup you could disable networking by holding a button while it booted. You could do something similar in hmcoreSetup() like:
Code:
// Change this line
  eepromLoadConfig(false)
// to
switch (readButton())
{
  case BUTTON_UP:
      eepromLoadConfig(1);
      break;
  case BUTTON_DOWN:
      eepromLoadConfig(2);
      break;
  default:
      eepromLoadConfig(0);
}
Then just change eepromLoadConfig() to restore different DEFAULT_CONFIG structures based on the number passed.

I've ordered parts for 2. Just finished the fisrt PCB, it seems to work great. Just have to sort out how to setup my CDN probe and build the fan part.

Thanks Bryan for this great project!

Guess I have #64. Thanks to Matt for the fine case, and to RJ for the inspiration for the 4-line display.
imag02841b.jpg

imag02721.jpg

Last edited:
My first one has already been counted (parts on hand for 2nd other than RPi), but I finally took some pictures of my Lego case.

Looks like I am number 65! What a great feeling when it worked especially for someone like me who has never built anything like this before. Thanks to Bryan for the heatermeter and Tom for the case! Dan

I now have one, still trying to get wifi issues worked out. Probably be building one more for my dad.

I built my first Heater Meter + Raspberry Pi this week, it workout out really great for me... can't thank the creators enough for releasing it and members of the forum for support. Hats off! Happy smoking...

Back