How many butts?

Matthew Jones

I have to cook 12 butts this weekend. I use the Cryovac pacs from Costco so they are pretty well trimmed and come in around 7 pounds per butt. I know I can cook 4 per load with no problem but has anyone tried cooking 6 at a time? I think I read you can do six if you stand them on end. Please let me know since I am hoping to not run 3 loads.

Thank,

Matthew

You can cook 6 at one time no problem. 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom. Just make sure that they aren't touching each other. You can use some tooth picks to help with that if needed. Many have cooked 8 at once as well.

Out of curiosity, when doing that much on the WSM, how does that effect the heat or how long the charcoal lasts? Does it take more "power" to keep it up to temp?

Originally posted by Michael Freeman:
Out of curiosity, when doing that much on the WSM, how does that effect the heat or how long the charcoal lasts? Does it take more "power" to keep it up to temp?

Still pretty new, but I would think it'll be a pretty big heat sink initially. But once you get that smoker to 225/250, it'll stay there almost as easy as if you had one butt on. It'll probably require a little more charcoal, but not an increase in proportion to the increase in meat.

If it were me, I would plan on adding fuel around the 12 hour mark. If you plan on adding fuel you wont be caught with your pants down.

Matthew, I have smoked 6 butts before, I think as long as you can fit them on the smoker, does not matter which position they are on the grill surface. Only problem is, they might fall apart if you do not have them in butcher twine. When I did 6, about three of them were 5 pounders or less, but I laid them on sides.. Good luck!

Originally posted by Bill Berg:
Which ones cook faster? The butts on the top grate, or the butts on the bottom grate?
The top grate butts. It is generally hotter up there

Matthew, you could high heat them buts. Cook them around 325-350 for 4 hours and then put in foil pans for another 2 hours are untill temps get to 180 or so, it will cut down on your time wont have much bark but for that many folks not to many will notice.

Dave, Could you explain how to do this. I assume you don't do the minion but fire up the coal like I would for a turkey. Do you use water in the pan? when buts get to 180 do i foil, or put in foil pan and cover with foil. THis is the part that I'm not clear on. I have one more day of cooking and at this point I need to get them done. This was more work than I was looking for
icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Matthew, Hers what I do, since it will only take 5-6 hours I do not repeat do not MM. I use as much lit charcoal as will fit in the ring. I let the WSM come up to temp empty. When about 400* I will put my Buts on. ( Buts hace set at out room temp) once on the temps will drop but will recover, I will crack or prop the lid up some to get more air flow to keep the temps up. Once there Let them smoked for 4 hours put in pans or wrap them in foil for another 2 hours.after that check them buts and the temps should be where you want them and the bone should just pull out. it will be some bark on the meat bit not as much as would be if done over night, just this pass
saturday I did 2 9lb's each butts and it took total time of 6 hours. NO WATER IN PAN, NO WATER IN PAN AND pour on the smoke

Originally posted by Matthew Jones:
Dave, Could you explain how to do this. I assume you don't do the minion but fire up the coal like I would for a turkey. Do you use water in the pan? when buts get to 180 do i foil, or put in foil pan and cover with foil. THis is the part that I'm not clear on. I have one more day of cooking and at this point I need to get them done. This was more work than I was looking for
icon_smile.gif

Thanks
Mattew, Here's a link to a high heat butt cook for you.

Thank everyone for the help. I am finishing the cook right now. The pit is 270 and meat, wrapped in foil is 175, elapsed time is 5 hours. Tee total butts cooked this weekend is 16. Two cooks with six each and this fast cook today with 4. I am getting tired of pulling pork. Again, Thanks for all the help.

Back