How many bags of Rancher?

I think I made a mistake buying ten bags of Rancher.

I'm a new WSM owner and didn't have any experience with charcoal prior to this, so I have nothing to really compare Rancher to. I just hope I haven't set myself up to be disappointed when I run out of Rancher and switch to Kingsford.

Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
I think I made a mistake buying ten bags of Rancher.

I'm a new WSM owner and didn't have any experience with charcoal prior to this, so I have nothing to really compare Rancher to. I just hope I haven't set myself up to be disappointed when I run out of Rancher and switch to Kingsford.

When you run out of Rancher, switch to lump and forget the Kingsford.

My total is up to 10 bags, hopefully stopping to get more today.
I had someone in my garage that wanted to know if I sell charcoal, I had all my lump and Rancher in one corner so it looked like I had quite a stash of charcoal. I can only imagine what some of your garages look like. Maybe I should have tried to sell him some.

I was working out of town the past few days. I stoped by the HD and looked high and low for more rancher. None left there apparantly.

I sent my email to HD. Yea got the semi canned response. I hope everyone here is sending an email. I sure would like to buy this next year.

I suppose I could send you the 4 bags of Rancher I have left over. I won't use it anymore because it leaves more ash them Mount St. Helens did when it erupted.

I went to HD yesterday to get a couple of outlet covers. It was a different one so I did a search and low and behold I found about a 1/3 of a pallet of rancher. I couldn't help myself, I bought 6 more bags.
icon_biggrin.gif

I finally got lucky and found some in Franklin, TN. and got 10 bags of briquettes for now, haven't used it yet so I hope it is as good as everyone says. I really wanted the lump but for $2.99 a bag can't go wrong.

Randy

Used Rancher for the first time this weekend.

Cooked two butts over a brisket. After that I put on a bowl of bourbon baked beans. Started the cook at 9:15PM and finished cooking everything by 5:00PM the next afternoon on one nicely packed ring of coal.

When I went to clean the WSM out on Sunday, I couldn't believe the difference in ash volume verse K (I also liked the fact there was no blue smoke to smell). I'm sold.

I had to goto HD today and get a couple of wing nuts. I said I wasn't going to buy any rancher. I walked in and passed by the pallet and there was only 4 bags left. I couldn't resist it was only 4 bags.

On the way to check out one of the guys in the commercial sales asked if I had ever used that charcoal. He said that he was going to pick one up to try it out. I said I have the last 4 and offered him 1 and he took it. He then checked stock and saw another store not far away had 2 pallets left. Another guy behind the counter piped up and said I could probobly get it cheaper yet if I bought a pallet. According to the second guy they planned on selling it all back in May when the had the first sale of it.

Scored 24 bags in Chesapeake, Va. store on Taylor Rd. today, they still had 10 or so bags left.

I have 14 bags and hope to get more. I absolutely love it. At least half the ash of Kingsford and burns forever. I have done 24hr cooks with 1 charcoal ring full and still had good coals left. and plenty of room for ash left in the bottom.
I have never gotten over 16 hrs. on a full ring with Kingsford and the ash is right up to my grate.

Long live Rancher. I have also sent an email to Home Depot and as was said before got the canned response back. I sure hope some National chain picks them up.

I've always been a Kingsford person but the $2.99 HD price on Rancher made me decide to buy a few bags. I used it for the first time this past weekend on 17 lbs of pork butt (also on sale @ .97/lb). Man what a difference. 13 hours later and the coals were still going strong with about half the ash of Kingsford. Even at the regular HD price it's still a bargain when compared to Kingsford.

My local HD pulled out another pile of Rancher so I had to grab 10 more bags (added to my previous pile of 16 bags). I really love this stuff.

Up to 10 bags so far, but I'm going to HD tonight for something else and will check. They were completely out of it last time. Good stuff.

I had 3 bags left at the house and I bought the last 9 bags at my local HD plus picked up 27 bags when I went to visit my parents and stopped by the local HD near their house. There was plenty left at that HD but that was all I was cramming into the car at one time. I think it is great stuff I have been using it all summer long and I will continue to buy it over K no matter if it is on sale or not.

Back