How long will a WSM last?

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
T. Brown on a post wanted an idea on durability of WSM,
The main body of the WSM is protected from the two main causes of steel grill burnout, wet ashes and extremely high heat. The body is not exposed to the extremely high heat of say flavorizer bars which causes micro cracks in the porcelain . The intact porcelain protects from the caustic ashes.
With abuse I'd guess at least 10 years and with care ( and replacing grates ) indefinitely!
What's the real world experience?

I don't know about the WSM (mine is less than 10 years old), but I have an 18.5 inch kettle that is about 35 years old. It is on its second charcoal grate, and second cooking grate. Everything else is original. So, I see no reason a WSM couldn't go 30 years, easily.

Ditto on a 22" chartreuse kettle...bought new in 1976. Replaced grills a couple of times.
The wood is long gone, but that's it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
The "Harbor Master" has one that's 30 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes I do, but it is now retired, and sits enthroned in the rafters watching it's younger siblings handle the cooking.

John cannot remember the exact yr i bought my wsm but it was between 1998-2000. I bought it used for 20.00 bucks looked brand new. The letter on the vent is a C which would make it a 1981 model. So she is 30 yrs old this yr. Has been outdoor's never covered and no sign's of rust. It has been modified to a 22 wsm. I still have the original cover stored.

My 22" Kettle is from the mid 70's and I just replaced the grate this year for the first time.

I'll have to let you know in another 30 or so for the WSM
icon_wink.gif

I have a "G" kettle so 1985 and a BarBKettle with no letters so mid 70s model (35 yrs or so).

Just had to replace the fins and vents on each.

Other than that they are still very serviceable. Both are stored outside but under covers.

...a LOT longer than a UDS or cheap sheet metal offsets, that's for sure. There's no telling how much black spray paint I've went through the last few years!

I have a kettle that's from the mid-70s. Bought it for $15, replaced the grates, sanded and oiled the wood handle, works great. I don't know how often they actually used it, but I use it fairly often and it doesn't seem to have aged any more in the last year or so.

My WSM is 28 years old and it looks and runs like a champ! just watch our for rust spots and take care of it early.

Back