How long is too long to marinade in beer?

Scott F

General open question to you grilling enthusiasts:

Whats the longest you would marinade a steak in beer prior to cooking? (and what in your opinion is optimal?)

I got into a wild hair discussion with some friends about how different beer styles might flavor up and tenderize a steak. So before I go sticking a cut of beef in a pint or two of Guinness overnight and come back to something closer to sludge, I'm looking for thoughts.

Thanks!

WHY on Earth would you even consider marinating STEAK in beer?

Is texas beef THAT bad that it requires drowning it in alcohol?

Consider pouring the beer in a glass to DRINK and save the beef for another day.

Start on Friday afternoon and don't stop until Sunday night.

oh, you're talking about food!

sorry, i thought you were referring to me...

For beer marinade the rule of thumb is for every beer in the marinade there should be 4 in the cook. Guinness is a stronger tasting beer so you wouldn't marinade as long as if you where using a lighter beer. I usually marinade 4-6 hours with beer but shorter works out alright to.

icon_biggrin.gif

Fair enough - so instead of the word steak, replace with "fajita steaks".

Like I said, it was a random discussion amongst friends that started all this.
(and no texas beef def does not require anything more than a shake of s&p plus flame to be great!)

I like the rule Bob. Thanks!

Originally posted by Scott F:
...so instead of the word steak, replace with "fajita steaks".
...(and no texas beef def does not require anything more than a shake of s&p plus flame to be great!)
In that case, add some Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire sauce along with the Lone Star
icon_biggrin.gif

...I knew Texas beef is outstanding!

Scott, please do not ruin a Texas Steak best in the world, as for the beer drink some while u make beer battered fish & onion rings.

Originally posted by Scott F:
icon_biggrin.gif

Fair enough - so instead of the word steak, replace with "fajita steaks".

Like I said, it was a random discussion amongst friends that started all this.
(and no texas beef def does not require anything more than a shake of s&p plus flame to be great!)

I like the rule Bob. Thanks!

If you're talking fajitas, my buddy just sent me this marinade that he uses for flank when he makes fajitas (he married a Mexican gal and this is what her family uses)....

4 garlic cloves
1 jalepeno (seeded)
1 large handful fresh cilantro
Kosher salt & ground Blk pepper
2 limes juiced
2 tbs white vinigar
1/2 teasopoon sugar
1/2 cup olive oil

Put it all in the blender and let the steak marinate at least over night for best flavor.

I like to cut mine with the grain into thin sheets and marinate it that way. Then dice for tacos after it's cooked.

You can also cook the whole flank as is and cut accross the grain for fajitas, etc.

Save the beer for drinking.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

For fajitas steak I would be more inclined to marinate in a chili sauce, or the marinade that Burtess suggested. And about that Guinness, drink a few Spotted Cows and give the Guinness away. Now if you really want to marinate in beer or cook in beer do it with a fresh brat. Your steak will thank you later.

Although I may not agree that Texas steak is the best in the world, we have spome mighty fine steaks here in Iowa, I do agree with Noe and the others that beer generally belongs in the cook and not on the steak.

Mike

When I was in the Military my buddies and I would get together every so often after a long weeks shift to grill. I would always pull out a room temp ribeye, salt and peppered ONLY. They would bring out tupperware full of some cut of beef (???) marinating in beer and ?????. While I was savoring my med-rare hunk-o-beef...they were breaking out the chainsaws and machetes trying to eat what they brought to the byobeef party.....never did figure it out. Don't get me wrong, I love to DRINK beer and grill beef. Occasionally I will add beer to a beef based spaghetti sauce or chili, but NEVER NEVER would I marinade a decent steak in beer. Just my humble opinion....

My favorite marinade is one made with a can of good beer (Miller high life, not fancy cans or bottles), chopped onions, 1/2 cup veg oil,1/4 cup soy sauce, a couple shakes of tabasco, 2 tblspoons white sugar, garlic to taste, 1 teas salt., 1/2 teaspoon cayyenne pepper.
This is best with pork or chicken...I love it with pork steak...

Originally posted by dean:
My favorite marinade is one made with a can of good beer (Miller high life, not fancy cans or bottles), chopped onions, 1/2 cup veg oil,1/4 cup soy sauce, a couple shakes of tabasco, 2 tblspoons white sugar, garlic to taste, 1 teas salt., 1/2 teaspoon cayyenne pepper.
This is best with pork or chicken...I love it with pork steak...

OMG you think Miller is good beer?????????

Just kidding. I agree, just use a regular run of the mill beer. I would suggest a porter our stout though.

Scott,beer is for marinating the cook,not the beef! Here's what we've had awesome results with for fajitas. Marinate in EVOO,tequila(good stuff) chili powder,S&P,and granulated garlic. Marinate for 3-4 hours and grill as normal. Marinate yourself as often as needed!
icon_biggrin.gif

The only beer I'd use with beef is for pepper stout beef. Although you could convince me that something with a strong hop character might add some interesting flavor. As far as fajitas, I use EVOO, canola, fresh lime juice (a healthy dose), cilantro, chili powder, salt and cumin. A little tequila might bring something to the game too - both in the chef and the marinade.

while i agree that beer belongs IN the cook, I do occasionally marinade with beer. One of my favorites is for Fajitas (but I will try Burtess' recipe next time)

1 can of Negro Modelo (any dark Mexican beer should work)
juice of two limes
splash of olive oil
bunch of cilantro - chopped
carne asada seasoning

I sprinkle the flap meat / skirt steak / flank steak with the seasoning, toss in a bag and then add the rest of the ingredients - mix well. let sit overnight and grill on a really hot grill. I shouldn't have to add - but will - DON'T OVERCOOK! Leather belongs on your shoes and not on your plate. I usually also heat a cast iron skillet on the grill and while my meat is grilling I saute a mix of bell peppers and onions. oh wow....this is making me hungry and it's only 6:30 AM! I gotta remember not to visit this site so early in the day...

This calls for an experiment.

I'll volunteed to get "marinated".

Just send all your beer to me, and I'll try to determine the correct answere if I'm still able to think

Back