How long do most of you get from a full restoration

Fred B.

I have a Genesis 1000 bought new in late 90's. Did a complete restoration in 2014. Now seven years later it looks like it needs another. It sits outside but is always covered when not in use. Left hand frame rail is complete rust and needs another paint job on the cook box. Used high heat Rustoleum paint but it just didn't hold up. Just wondering if redoing restorations this often is normal.

I have a Genesis 1000 bought new in late 90's. Did a complete restoration in 2014. Now seven years later it looks like it needs another. It sits outside but is always covered when not in use. Left hand frame rail is complete rust and needs another paint job on the cook box. Used high heat Rustoleum paint but it just didn't hold up. Just wondering if redoing restorations this often is normal.
Hi Fred, they need constant maintenance. Cleaning monthly
Paint touch up yearly
Ignition and minor parts every 2 years
Deep clean lid or firebox every 2 years
Major parts expect a need every 5 years

So about 3 to 5 years on an overhaul.

You can buy a new Weber and do absolutely nothing and get about 5 years

I first restored my 2000 back in 2015, and since then I have re-done the end caps on the hood and the cook box, recently I redid the wood slats and z bars. I think about two years ago I painted the frame but I want to get back into the frame again and might repaint the cook box and end caps before it becomes a lot of sanding and prep. I would say four of five years per painted part is probably as long as you can reasonably expect it to look excellent, then it goes to looking good but if you do it like me, you end up with "good parts". I'm trying to say that now I'm just trying to stay ahead of it. Your timing sounds about right for round two. I'd rather keep this grill up than spend what I would need to spend to get a cooker as good as this so I'll just keep at it. Plus the EW burners are unbeatable for rotisserie, which I do three or four times per month year round.

Hi Fred. I think it depends on climate and where it's located. My 2000 silver B,went 20 years with little maint other than cleaning and replacing the porcelain Flav bars with SS. I'm in CA. It rains sometimes in winter but it's dry 9 months a year. Rarely covered. A few hours of sun most days, shaded most of the day.

Maybe the cover is holding moisture? Maybe it's east coast humidity.

Thanks everyone. I guess I can't complain then getting 8 years with no touch ups in that time. Hope to get to it again this summer.

I think it depends a lot on where you live and how much you use the grill. Our propane Genesis 3000 LX lasted close to 25 years and is still going. We replaced the grates and flavorizer bars once. The grates and flavorizer bars are rusted through in parts and need replacement again. Other than that, it just keeps working, even the original piezo sparkers. We have done no other maintenance on it. I have not inspected it yet to see if other parts are rusted out or broken, but at least it works.

We live in a mild, dry climate, and did not use that grill nearly as often as the people here typically use theirs. Perhaps a few times a month, something like that.

Fred, the paint that we use to repaint these grills just doesn't have the durability or longevity of what Weber used originally. I think you did pretty good all things considered.

Opinions are like, as Roman Moronie from Johnny Dangerously would say, ice holes. Everybody has one and they all fargin stink. That said, I don’t cover my grill. I may have to repaint more frequently than those who cover, but I prefer the ease of grilling without a dirty cover shennanegan. I’m not calling anybody an ice hole either. Just saying that there are different opinions about things.

Let’s hope I don’t come down with ESS.

EDIT: I am hoping that the MPAA rating of PG-13 allows the use of the "language" of Roman Maronie. If it's offensive, then let me know and in the future I will not use made up curse words that aren't even curse words :)

I'm sure location and environment contribute substantially to the physical depreciation of our grills. In one home we have extra garage space to store one Genesis during the winter. The other home has no garage and our grills stay covered outside.

When outside, I always keep the grills covered the moment they've cooled down after grilling. The sun isn't too kind, either, over the long term.

And, no, I'm not an ice hole.

Yah, climate and use have a lot to do with how often a full overhaul is required. The other thing is personal opinion. I redid my personal Genesis 1000 about 5 years ago. It is still running strong. But it doesn't look new any longer. Personally, I don't really care. It still looks cool and cooks better than most brand new grills these days costing $1000. The Rusto high heat paint on the end caps is about 50% gone now. I don't care. They are aluminum and won't rust anyway. The cook box, both inside and outside are stained and full of gunk. Aside from a quick scrape every so often, I don't care. It is also aluminum and will not rust. The grates, flavo bars, burners and igniter will get replaced when they wear out. If I detect undue rust or other problems with the steel frame or other parts of the grill, they will be taken care of as needed. But, I don't forsee myself doing another full restore on the grill for a looooong time.
Like I said, I will keep it scraped out and wiped down occasionally, but I wont be taking it all apart, cleaning every piece, repainting it all and putting it all back together.

Bruce, you make good points. My grill is ugly again but still works great. To do a full restore to make it look good requires taking it out of commission for a longer period of time then I would want, especially this time of year.

Agree with the above about climate having a lot to do with the longevity of a grill. My 1998 genesis 1000 LX started life in sunny dry southern California and moved to even drier Prescott Arizona where rust is not allowed. I did one rebuild about five years ago which was not necessary, but I wanted to move it to a 2000 cart. I repainted the cart and added new flavorizer bars and other than that it's all original. It's under a cover all the time when not in use because the sun here is brutal, but it still looks like new. Also, now we use the NG E320 90% of the time, so it gets little use anymore.

I am with Rich climate, and usage is the key, along with quality material's used for your rebuild. Like POR 15 to stop future rust.
But here in AZ I use my cover not protect from rain but to reduce dust from getting into everything, so only alittle help maybe a vacume bag....

Back