How long before cooking grates should go rusty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham M

TVWBB Member
I've had my WSM for about 6 Months, and used it about 6 times now.

After cleaning up yesterday, I noticed that the top cooking grate, appears to be all rusty. The bottom one is fine. I'm aware of rust coloured residue on the WSM itself, and I have that too, but the grate has 'real' rust.

I clean the grates / water pan in an upturned dustbin (trash can) lid, supported on 3 bricks, using washing up liquid and a sponge/plastic scourer. I have brushed the grates with a brass brush to get rid of deposits, but even Weber sell these brushes, so I don't think that is the cause, although they look pretty fierce.

Anyway, 6 months / 6 uses seems a bit premature to me. Do you think I have a naff one, and I should contact Weber?

That sounds premature to me. Even the grates on my cheap Brinkmann smoker didn't rust that soon, and I cleaned them with a fairly coarse Scotchbrite pad.

Weber is really great with customer service....give them a call.. it couldnt hurt and they might just send you another one for free....i was having a lil while back a problem with my burners on my silver A(which were just dirty) and they pretty much were willing to send me out an entire new set for free...so it deff doesnt hurt to call
take care

Glad you posted, Graham, because mine is starting to do the same thing, way too early. I use scotchbrites, just like Larry. Looks like weber will be getting a couple of calls...

You're in the UK? Your weather might have something to do with it. Also living close to the ocean might have something to do with it as well (coastal cars rust sooner). I'm assuming you use the WSM cover. Also, don't ever leave water in the waterpan after a smoke, empty it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back