How long before cooking do you rub ribs?

G

I cooked 2 racks of spares this wkend from the local butcher (2 good racks possibly from the same pig). The 1st one I rubbed 12 hours before cooking and then I decided to cook the 2nd rack in the morning. So one rack was rubbed 1 hr and the other 12hrs. I used a pretty standard salt/sugar/spice rub and I noticed that the 12hr rack had a lost close to a cup of juice (much like a fish brine). Of course I lost track of which rack was which but one rack was much juicier and I suspect it was the one I rubbed for only 1 hour. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on how long spares should be rubbed before cooking.

Reid,
I rub ribs no more than 4 hours before they hit the pitt. The first couple of times i did them I left the rub on over night and the ribs came out with a 'hammy' flavor. So i cut the time they sit way down.

I always put the rub on so it has 10-12 hours to work into the meat. I do this for ribs, butts, and brisket and have had no bad results in the quality. My homemade rub is probably 80% paprika and coarse kosher salt.

If you rub ribs or other meat overnight, essentially you are curing them--hence the hammy flavor. The thinner the cut, the less the amount of time for the salt to work its magic, so ribs would get hammy quicker than a pork butt.

Now ham is a very good thing, and I enjoy very much curing and smoking my own bacon and buckboard bacon, but I see no reason at all why one needs to rub so far in advance as is common when making Q. I usually just rub prior to putting on the grill or smoker. When you are going to cook in smoke for many hours, isn't that enough time for the rub to develop complex flavors? What is the rationale for rubbing so far in advance?

What is the rationale for rubbing so far in advance?

For me, there wasn't ton of rationale other than I had the time that evening and just did it so I was ready to go in the morning. (until I decided to throw on the other rack) I typically rub pork butts and briskets 8-10 hours before, but they are obviously a different animal (sorry) than ribs. I am sure the salt content has a pretty big impact on the results when the rub is applied many hours in advance.

Right before they go on to the smoker, 30 min or less. If you rub them too far in advance they will loose alot of moisture as you noted (salt pulls it out) and you run the risk of getting hammy tasting ribs.
icon_wink.gif

I fire up the chimney then come in and rub the ribs.
When the fire is ready the ribs go on, so it's
probably an hour before they go on the smoker.

Steve

15 - 30 minutes. Rub the ribs, light the 10 to 15 coals for MM start, assemble WSM, put ribs on, set the Guru and wait 'till done.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bill

FWIW, the BRITU method calls for about two hours before going on the smoker. When I cooked them I was rushed so they got about 45 minutes but still came out awesome.

While we are the subject of applying rub. I never apply rub the night before or hours before. I prep the WSM and light 3 spots in the Lump with a propane torch, and put on the middle section of the WSM and go inside. Then I open up the Croyovac pack of meat, dump on the Wosty sauce, sprinkle on rub and onto the WSM it goes. If doing ribs I pull the membrane then light the WSM come back in, wosty, rub, on the WSM.
icon_smile.gif

I don't own a WSM, I have a Weber OTG. The way I learned was to rub right before putting them on the cooking grate as the coals are getting hot. I'm a newbie and I've done ribs twice now so that doesn't make me an authority by any means. I've had some good reviews though !! Family and friends lovin' it !

Back