How long before cooking do you rub ribs?

So for the most part the consensus seems to be "Botson butt" overnight, but Ribs no more than 2 hours max...

Does anyone have any thoughts on chicken? (I haven't done one yet) But maybe better to use a wet marinade overnight - then dry off, followed by a light dusting of rub before putting on the WSM?

I don't see why a rub sans-salt couldn't be applied days in advance to impart the flavor more thoroughly.

I find, personally, that marinades/brines are significantly better for whole chickens, unless you are intent on flavoring the skin a particular way.

On chicken pieces I prefer a paste or dry-rub, depending on whether or not the particular piece has skin on it.

I have to use salt-free rubs because I have Meniere's disease and I have to keep my sodium to a minimum. I never seem to remember to put the rub on hours earlier, so I throw on the rub and then throw the meat on the WSM.

Always seems to work out ok. I did find some lovely low-salt Worcestershire sauce I use on beef. I've got a 3.5 lb chuck roast out in the WSM now, and it got black pepper and a chipotle spice mix I found online. Not all of us can use a salty rub.

Back