How far will you go?

TomRc

TVWBB Pro
When it comes to this addicting hobby, how far are you willing to travel for a grill? My personal best (or worst if you look at things that way) is 6.5 hours and 399 miles one way from Upstate NY to Altoona, PA. I was able to grab another grill in Monticello, NY on the way down and came home with an early 1000 series redhead and a beefy Platinum II for my efforts. The wife and I made an overnight out of it with a nice dinner and hotel stay to break the trip up a bit and, in spite of my best efforts to make it an enjoyable trip, she still hasn’t let me live it down.

I never went that far for a grill. I did about a 150-200 miles roundrip once with a Uhaul trailer to pick up several grills. But otherwise all of them have been within 30-40 miles.
However I did a 600 miles roadtrip a few weeks ago to buy a used bicycle.

I never went that far for a grill. I did about a 150-200 miles roundrip once with a Uhaul trailer to pick up several grills. But otherwise all of them have been within 30-40 miles.
However I did a 600 miles roadtrip a few weeks ago to buy a used bicycle.
You know we gotta see this bike now.....

I spent about foru hours round trip taking a leisurely trip to Holland (MI.) and back to pick up a “Simpson’s Smokey Joe”.
I didn’t really need it but, thought I might flip it to a collector one of these days.

So far, roughly 200 miles round trip for the Platinum. A bit less for the 1000-LX. But hey, I'm brand new to this. Just wait until I find that sweet Genesis X with the unobtanium frame just over the mountains at the end of the rainbow.

Longest trip was for an old plasma TV. One that had sold for $7,000 new. The guy was letting it go for $50 but it had a problem with magenta spotting that I thought, correctly, I could fix by tweaking panel voltages. Drove 300+ miles round trip. Started after work and returned around 3 a.m. with a TV too heavy to carry inside by myself. These things were constructed of steel and real glass. Managed to wrestle it into the garage so it wouldn't sit in the rain, as it had been tarped on the bed of my truck. Still have. After I picked up an OLED, it got demoted. Now hangs on a wall of the garage. Perfect for watching football while messing around with a project.

Last edited:
Not counting my trip back to Florida to get my grills but also all of our outdoor equipment and furniture, my furthest trip was about 150 miles one way to pick up a brown hood Genesis 2.

Did a 510 mile round trip from Prescott Valley to Las Vegas to pick up a grill and numerous 200+round trips to Phoenix to pick up grills.

They are very comfy and safe. I have been reding recumbents for years and love them. Great for my back. I can do 5-6 hour rides in comfort. It just takes a bit of practice to learn the balance.

Drove from Greenville,SC to Richmond, VA to pick up the Genesis 5 (5000) that Joe refurbed this past summer. Long haul, but worth every minute of the trip. And Joe was great as well!

When it comes to this addicting hobby, how far are you willing to travel for a grill? My personal best (or worst if you look at things that way) is 6.5 hours and 399 miles one way from Upstate NY to Altoona, PA. I was able to grab another grill in Monticello, NY on the way down and came home with an early 1000 series redhead and a beefy Platinum II for my efforts. The wife and I made an overnight out of it with a nice dinner and hotel stay to break the trip up a bit and, in spite of my best efforts to make it an enjoyable trip, she still hasn’t let me live it down.
Not a grill, but I went from Chicago to Norwalk CT to bring back a 30's Chevy, and another trip to Massachusetts for a 30's Packard.

Tom - your post made me smile as it is not everyday that I see a reference to where I grew up. I grew up in Callicoon, NY which is near Monticello, NY. I know this drive well as I went to Penn State.

I traveled 20 miles round trip July 2019 to pick up a NG 2001 Silver B. It had been kept in a garage and had all of the original paper work. It was in pristine condition and only needed a quick clean up. It was going to be a gift for my oldest son and his fiancé.
I bought two LP manifolds to give me a safety net. The original grates and flavorizer bars were in great shape but I bought grates and flavorizer bars from RCPLANEBUYER. A week after they arrived my son told me they were moving to Florida. I ended up sending a kettle to them.
I’m a charcoal guy so the Silver B has not been touched

I traveled 20 miles round trip July 2019 to pick up a NG 2001 Silver B. It had been kept in a garage and had all of the original paper work. It was in pristine condition and only needed a quick clean up. It was going to be a gift for my oldest son and his fiancé.
I bought two LP manifolds to give me a safety net. The original grates and flavorizer bars were in great shape but I bought grates and flavorizer bars from RCPLANEBUYER. A week after they arrived my son told me they were moving to Florida. I ended up sending a kettle to them.
I’m a charcoal guy so the Silver B has not been touched
This sounds like a road trip opportunity for somebody to take it off your hands. You wouldn’t happen to be within 6.5 hours of Upstate NY, would you....wink, wink?

Jeff you're sitting on two extra manifolds and RC grates, wow! rcplanebuyer isn't making grates right now because of supply chain issues, so you're sitting on a treasure to the right person!

Back