How do you use your vegetable peeler?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yea, kind of a silly topic, but one that my Lady and I go back and forth on.
I'm a righty and always peel towards me, just the way my gramps taught me with a paring knife.I like the control and that way I can keep the peels in a somewhat neat pile.
My Lady on the other hand is a lefty who peels away like Edward Scissor-hands, which leaves alot of peels on the counter, floor, etc.. Between the two of us we always dull up one side of the blade.
So my Q is, are you a pusher or a puller?
Do you change up depending on what you are peeling?
And do you have a fav peeler that you rec?
Thanks.

Tim

Right-handed, pusher. I peel most things over the sink, so while I don't get a neat pile, all the peelings go in the sink. From there, it's an easy scoop to the trash or compost.

Honestly, first time I've ever given this much thought to it!
icon_wink.gif

R

Very Fun Timothy. I switch it up depending on what I am peeling or how fast I want to go. I'm right-handed. Cucumbers I peel away from me, potatoes I peel toward...apples I peel in a circle..geez I don't know
icon_smile.gif
Guess it is just what mood I'm in. But I do have a kitchen aid peeler that I love. It has stayed sharp for a few years now,..heavy duty, has good weight to it, and comfortable grip.

I'm kinda like Regina. Cukes and carrots,away. Potatoes and apples,towards. I never really thought about it til now!
And we have an OXO peeler that has served us well for 8+ years!

Peel everything away from me ...Right over the sink....still using the same peeler my mom had 40 yeaar's ago lol And it make's short work of anything.

Last week I peeled 3 cases of potatos another day 2 cases of Yams (was prepping for the Vegan Chef)... I peel towards me using a Y peeler.. Kuhn Rikon.. I have used Oxo and others. The Kuhn Rikon is the real deal and often used in commercial kitchens.

I think you can get a set of 3 for about $15 on Amazon.

what's a peeler? j/k. I haven't used one in years, most of the nutrients are in the peel so I leave them on almost all the time.

Both ways, now that I'm thinking about it. More away from me than toward me but both. It depends on what I'm peeling.

I also use a Y peeler. Won't use straight peelers.

Righty & away.

I recently saw a peeler used to shave parmesan cheese onto a salad on 5 Ingredient Fix. I plan on trying that some time soon.

Righty and towards myself, based on the kind of peeler I have which so far, hasn't gotten dull in 15 years of trying.

peeler.jpg

They have a new & improved model, the everything peeler, which looks more like a traditional peeler, but with a ceramic blade. I bought this Kyocera ceramic bladed peeler so I could peel differently as needed. The Y/razor shaped peeler is good, but sometimes you need to be able to peel away instead of towards you.

peeler2.jpg

I have also used the Y/razor shaped peeler to shave harder cheeses like parmesan and chocolate also. These peelers are awesome!

I'm gonna check out that Y-peeler again. Had a few over the yrs, but they always seemed to break rather easily when Mrs Scissorhands used them.
How do they work on Rutabagas? Those for me are one of the harder things to peel with the wax coating and all.( I use a paring knife on them )

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
Last week I peeled 3 cases of potatos another day 2 cases of Yams (was prepping for the Vegan Chef)... I peel towards me using a Y peeler.. Kuhn Rikon.. I have used Oxo and others. The Kuhn Rikon is the real deal and often used in commercial kitchens.

I think you can get a set of 3 for about $15 on Amazon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What do you think of this style of Rikon?
http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rik.../ref=wl_mb_hu_m_4_dp

Back