How do you turn off the Heatermeter?

P Dao

I know you can unplug it to turn it off but I read that unplugging can corrupt the SD card of the Raspberry Pi. I looked all over the web interface but cannot find any way to turn it off. Thanks

Use telnet or SSH to access the command prompt and issue a "halt" command. Then power off.

-- Mache

Unplugging a filesystem which is undergoing changes could corrupt it but for the most part, HeaterMeter uses a ramdisk to store all of its data. There's a very low chance of unplugging during an uncommitted file system write. It's never happened to me and I plug and unplug this thing a lot more than a normal user would.

However, even if the filesystem does get blasted, you can just reimage it and it will restore your configuration so there's really not anything to lose other than a couple minutes.

Bryan is right (of coarse), I have unplugged my HM hundreds of times and never had it corrupt the file system. I have corrupted the file system when the SD card ended up not fully seated in the slot, in that case I just simply removed the SD card and re-imaged it (from my PC) and I was back up and running without a hitch. So I wouldnt worry about it, it's not quite like a PC, needing to be properly shut down and all....

Back