How do you keep Stainless Grates and Grille itself clean?

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I am in Northern Indiana. About 20 min south of the Michigan state line. Just outside of South Bend, Indiana.

We are moving to Quincy, a post office address and nothing more. Closest town is Cloverdale. In the other direction Spencer is a somewhat larger town. Half way between Indianapolis and Terra Haute, and a little south of I-70. No matter how you slice it we are moving to Green Acres in the middle of nowhere!!!!:D

That would be a poor mans Chargon. THe chargon has a U shaped grove which matches the grill rod shape.
Easy to do that just drill the V with a bit about the same size as your grates . I have picked s couple at garage sales for a dallor and have sharped them and drilled some to fit the grates I am working with

These are the marks I can’t get off. When assembling and taking off the protective plastic on the stainless lid it left like residue lines. Have tried stainless cleaner and goo gone. They are still there. Anybody else had to deal with this? The pictures don’t show it well. But it’s a lot worse then normal.

Attachments

• 63BCF76F-FC56-4B3C-A7DD-F501D1F5D295.jpeg
    63BCF76F-FC56-4B3C-A7DD-F501D1F5D295.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0A60C20D-4557-4072-80CB-A2D90E5E3B3C.jpeg
    0A60C20D-4557-4072-80CB-A2D90E5E3B3C.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DB1C05EC-D7B4-42EC-A7B6-629E8006F570.jpeg
    DB1C05EC-D7B4-42EC-A7B6-629E8006F570.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 1F5331C4-DF1C-4C02-B791-878E7015F3AE.jpeg
    1F5331C4-DF1C-4C02-B791-878E7015F3AE.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0C746743-C246-41E7-98A8-889065ADBF74.jpeg
    0C746743-C246-41E7-98A8-889065ADBF74.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 13
That is why I hate stainless lids. It is soo much easier to clean up the ceramic ones.

Seth,
Based on what you have tried already, I can only suggest first using a stronger solvent, maybe Xylene. If that won't do it, then you can consider CAREFULLY using Bar Keeper's Friend (I hear you already, Larry!) and a non-metal scrub pad (start out with a mild "non-scratch" one) being sure to rub ONLY in the direction of the grain. There is certainly risk that this measure will introduce new hairline scratches, but that might be preferred to the goopy mess you have now. Here is a cleanup of a Broilmaster stainless body I did that shows what Bar Keeper's Friend did for me. A follow up with stainless polish made it look pretty nice:

Bar Keepers Friend Stainless.jpg

I have to agree with Bruce, though, that stainless is a pain once it stops looking nice :cautious: !

Of course. You can even put sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and so on to it. Why would you think brake solvent would hurt it?

I use brake cleaner for lot of stuff. I know it damages paint and all that stuff. Just am cautious that’s all. I appreciate the suggestion.

I would be happy with that. Those SS hoods and shelves and other parts are a b1tch to keep looking nice. If you get too much more aggressive, you might find you have a permanent blemish to deal with.

Ya I have noticed that quickly. Been cleaning them before and after every use. Adds about 10 mins but not to terrible I guess. Not sure. I like the colors of the porcelain but I think they have there own issues.

As a Covid project, I just took 15 years of accumulated grease of the green (outside) and black (inside) porcelain hood of my Silver B. Following the instructions of the guys on here, I went at it very hard with a razor blade scraper and then 0000 steel wool. Looks close to new.

Without the advice from on here, I never would have taken a sharp metal object to the hood. But absent a power tool, they seem pretty much scratch proof and indestructable.

In contrast, I live in fear of permanently scratching my SS kitchen applicances if I push down to hard on the sponge.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
As a Covid project, I just took 15 years of accumulated grease of the green (outside) and black (inside) porcelain hood of my Silver B. Following the instructions of the guys on here, I went at it very hard with a razor blade scraper and then 0000 steel wool. Looks close to new.

Without the advice from on here, I never would have taken a sharp metal object to the hood. But absent a power tool, they seem pretty much scratch proof and indestructable.

In contrast, I live in fear of permanently scratching my SS kitchen applicances if I push down to hard on the sponge.

Looking good! It takes a little patience when it is that rough, but you can see that the results make it worthwhile!

Jim, other than chipping or gouging the porcelain they are really durable except against one thing and I have no explanation as to how they can damage it. ScotchBrite or the like of scrubbers. They will totally destroy porcelain. I have no idea why something made of nylon can do so much damage to something made of silica (glass) but it does.

Different Grate question - what's the best way to clean a Cast Iron Grate? Heat and Brush? It's a donor set, and giving/selling to a Brother In Law that may want it clearn. Will Chargeon work on this as well?

Thanks for information on ChargeOn source for SS grates, or what looks to be a dandelion puller on the budget version.

For Porcelin Grates, is the ChargeOn tool preferred as well? I know if these are rusty and cracked, means Porcelin is worn and likely time to toss into scrap metal bin. If Porcelin is still there, is dishwasher/Hot Water with Soap a valid option.

Thank you.

Back