How do you grill on a pellet grill?

This may seem like a dumb question to most, but here we go. I have been a charcoal griller for the last 20 years or so, so that’s what I know. Unless I am doing longer cooks (whole chicken) I never looked at the thermometer. Hot and fast weekday cooks I would just light the charcoal chimney, dump it when its stopped smoking, feel by hand when it’s hot in the grill, and then throw on the meats/vegetables. Depending on what I was cooking, I would usually go direct over the flames to get some char, and then move the meat over to the cooler side to finish cooking. I would also throw some small pieces of wood right on the charcoal right at the start for a little extra flavor. Well with a pellet grill I have to set a temperature, and to be honest, I haven’t a clue what I should set it at. I made sausage and peppers last night and set the grill @ 400f, let it cook till it got some color and dropped it down to 300f to finish. Not a clue if that was right, but they were cooked. My understanding though, for a pellet grill, I need to start slow to get smoke flavor, then bump it up to finish? We do boneless skinless chicken thighs, steaks, chicken breasts, pork tenderloin etc, pretty much the usual for most grillers. Any tips tricks? Do you guys have “go to” temperatures when you grill hot an fast, not smoke?

The SmokeFire has good smoke at grilling temps for a pellet grill. A lot of times, I just ‘grilled’ things at 375-425 and was happy, Steaks I usually reverse seared 200-225 until 115 IT, moved to a plate and covered, bumped grill to 525 and then seared a couple mins a side. Pork tenderloin I just smoked at 275 and it was enough smoke for us, but you coming from charcoal, may want to start lower. A lot of it will be seeing if there’s enough smoke at certain temps for your tastes. 375 on a Traeger would be just faint smoke, on the SmokeFire it’s not strong but very noticeable in comparison to a Traeger (or most others with the solid drip pan).

What did you think of your cook last night? I usually do sausage at 275-300 for less risk of splitting them.

What did you think of your cook last night? I usually do sausage at 275-300 for less risk of splitting them.
They came out great, but I think I was 10deg over temp. Usually I cook sausages until I have nice color, then 1 will create a pin hole and start spitting juice. I know they are done at that point. I would probably lower the temp to 350 next time.

I often just set it on 600 and go nuts. It seems that most people's Smokefires are hotter on the right side. There is also more direct flame over there. I start on the right and finish on the left. O still get smoke flavor, probably as much as I'd get from charcoal. This is good, my wife is growing impatient with everything being smoky.

450 works well for me. On bigger cuts of beef I will start at 200 until the meat hits 110. The. Crank the SmokeFire up to 550-600 and sear that bad boy until 130-135. I have had amazing results with this. Which is why those Costco prime tri-tips are pretty much my go to for beef at this point!

I tried right in the middle last night for some boneless skinless thighs last night, 400f. I didn't feel it was hot enough so I went to 550f and started getting that sizzle and char I expected.
Based on your past, you’re used to cooking at hotter temps than I am :). I’ve been probably 75% plus cooking on pellets for almost a decade. So, I’m used to cooking longer at lower temps. My Traegers only got to 450 on a warm day and a 45 minute wait. So, I carried my habits over to the SmokeFire.

I tried right in the middle last night for some boneless skinless thighs last night, 400f. I didn't feel it was hot enough so I went to 550f and started getting that sizzle and char I expected.
You might try thighs with the skin at 325 for about 30-45 minutes. You can remove the skin (if concerned) and have very moist thigh meat. Do not even need to turn them. Grandkids like them that way. A little mushy for me.

cooked some chicken fajitas in the cast iron pan last night. started at 450f, and let the grill run for a bit to really get the cast iron warm. threw on the peppers onions and chicken and got some sizzle. Still didn't think it was hot enough so I bumped it to 500f. I think what I am learning is that I need to start higher in my temp to match what I am used to on the charcoal grill.

cooked some chicken fajitas in the cast iron pan last night. started at 450f, and let the grill run for a bit to really get the cast iron warm. threw on the peppers onions and chicken and got some sizzle. Still didn't think it was hot enough so I bumped it to 500f. I think what I am learning is that I need to start higher in my temp to match what I am used to on the charcoal grill.
Have you checked your temp with an air probe? You may find that you are running 20-30 degrees cooler.

Pellet is new to me too, and I have found that the recipes differ because it is more of an indirect method as opposed to the hot and fast gas or charcoal. I have experimented with the slower start for more smoke then ramp it up and that works. My Traeger gets up to 500 degrees ok-I believe because of the new controller etc-so I've had no trouble getting it up to temp if I need to. It holds temps pretty good to , so no complaints yet. Just got some Pitboss Comp blend pellets so dying to try them! Chicken fajitas sound good Robert!!

Pellet is new to me too, and I have found that the recipes differ because it is more of an indirect method as opposed to the hot and fast gas or charcoal. I have experimented with the slower start for more smoke then ramp it up and that works. My Traeger gets up to 500 degrees ok-I believe because of the new controller etc-so I've had no trouble getting it up to temp if I need to. It holds temps pretty good to , so no complaints yet. Just got some Pitboss Comp blend pellets so dying to try them! Chicken fajitas sound good Robert!!
Not the SmokeFire at 500-600 it’s a roaring flame!! Low and slow and the ultimate searing or reverse sear machine!

Have you checked your temp with an air probe? You may find that you are running 20-30 degrees cooler.
I checked yesterday, it would swing +/- 15-20f from the set temp. I did a whole chicken yesterday and that was the first thing I have been able to cook that was really good and matched my charcoal grill. I ran @225f for 1 hr, bumped it up to 380f until done. Plenty of smoke, almost too much. Next time I'll just run @380f to get a crispier skin. I butchered some ribeyes on friday night...that was my fault though. I was not blown away by the sear at 600f though, I need to keep messing with this.

I've got a rack of st. louis ribs on now

Robert,
It is different than charcoal and gas. I don't have a SmokeFire but do have a Rec Tec. It does take a learning curve to get adjusted, but we have seen lots of awesome results posted here. So, just hang in there!

as a smoker, this thing is quite fantastic. set and forget. the ribs last night were killer, pork butt next week.

I will be grilling more with it this week and keep at it. My goal is still to replace my WSM and Performer, and I am almost ready to sell the WSM.

as a smoker, this thing is quite fantastic. set and forget. the ribs last night were killer, pork butt next week.

I will be grilling more with it this week and keep at it. My goal is still to replace my WSM and Performer, and I am almost ready to sell the WSM.
I had the same goal. Wring it out to see if you can get it grilling to your satisfaction. Then decide. My EX6 is now my only outdoor cooker.

Back